Power/Spirit [R]

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by milbrett, Apr 19, 2003.

1. milbrett

milbrett New Member

Apr 9, 2000
    MA
    well another unlucky loss 2-0 dropping the Power to 0-3-0. This was frustrating to watch.. good thing I wasn't there, little children's ears would burn with the stuff coming outta my trucker mouth... I would've been kicked out and banned from the stadium! I do think NY is just unlucky... I think once that was they start scoring...Look Out! They were pounding on the Spirit goal all day... Damn Mac!!! She robbed Janssy of a sure goal... that was a great play by Mac. NY needs to work on finishing and not freaking out when they get in the box!

2. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    A game of bad luck for the Power. Mac's header was pretty good to save Janss from scoring. Several other missed opportunities. It wasn't as bad as the scoreline shows. Good luck next week.

3. UP90

UP90 New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Georgia
    The power looked pretty good, but Welsh needs to settle down and have a little more composure in the box. Sometimes she rushed her shots and others she took an extra touch that cost her an open look. Millie had an off day, but looked frustrated with not getting good serves out of the midfield. Rapp is a carbuncle on the Power's butt. I've never seen her contribute anything significant. Why can't they cut her?

4. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If NY scored first, who knows how differently things may have turned out?

5. magiclamp

magiclamp New Member

Jan 2, 2000
    New Yawk
    It was really sad being in the stands for this one. They couldn't finish at all. It was like the C'rays - so many chances, but nothing to show for it. Ping off the post, ping off the crossbar, sail just high... sigh... Either they'd take too long to shoot or just take a wild shot and have it go nowhere. Eeeesh.

BTW, the score would have been 3-0, but a goal got called back for a handball in the box.

They seemed to be in panic mode whenever they got in the box. There didn't seem to be any composed shot taking.

I really had high hopes this year. New coach, mostly new team, same old sh...

They seemed great in preseason, so what happened??

Millie can't seem to do anything, Welsh is a big disappointment and defensively, they're leaky as ever, defensive minded coach or not.

OY.

6. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    In soccer teams MUST have strong personalities in the back mids and front to be effective. The player(s) involved do not have to be the best and the best are often not suited to that roll.

Looking at the entire league we have:
    Atlanta: Bivens and Nonan in the back Sawa and Serlenga in the mids and Hooper and Pralow up front with Scurry as keeper Solid leader throughout, maybe too many.
    Boston: only seem to have Lilly and as strong as she is that is part of their problems but there are other emerging this year.
    Carolina: Overbeck, Riise, and Prinz form a quite effective group.
    Philadelphia: Moore has really stepped up and with Mitts, Pichon, and Smith they are in good shape.
    Bay Area: With Chastain they need little more but they also have Sissi in mid and Beene in goal.
    San Diego: with Fawcett and Foudy they need little more but they also have Wagner now.
    Washington: Well they have Mia; and the also have Mullinix and Jones.

Then we come to New York: Milbert is a GREAT player but a leader she does not seem to be. As far as the rest of the team they are every bit as skilled as most of the rest of the league but, it seems, no one wants, or is able, to lead.

That is New York’s biggest weakness it could also become their strength. Like last year when Carolina’s leaders stepped up and Washington’s finally gelled there are several players on New York that could make the leadership rolls theirs and THAT is what New York needs.

I hope that it happens as it is not good for the league to have teams that are loosing like New York is at this time. The talent is there it needs to be brought together,

A twelve or even ten team league can afford to have a doormat team but an eight team league is in real trouble if any team is loosing the majority of their games.

NY has shown the ability to loose pretty and to snatch defeat from the hands of victory and both of those traits are symptoms of a lack of leaders.

This was just a little attempt to suggest what the problem might be. I hope I did not step on any particulatly tender toes and if I left out anyone's favorite player woh might be a leader I am sorry.

7. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    I haven't watched the game yet but how did their Aussies look? Did they improve the Power at all or is it still too early?

8. g4m

g4m New Member

Oct 28, 2000
    New Jersey
    well salsbury re injured her leg...any update on that?