Power/Breakers [R]

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by milbrett, Mar 15, 2003.

1. magiclamp

magiclamp New Member

Jan 2, 2000
    New Yawk
    Sounds like a really good game. Wish I could be in two places at once. I went down to DC for their game against UVA. They won 5-1, although Fear seems to have gotten a report from someone who said it was 4-1. Damned if I know who the 5th goal was by - we spent half the time trying to figure out who was on the field! LOL!! Their unis were cool, but had no names on them and the "roster" they gave us didn't include the people trying out.

It was great seeing Gao in goal. :) Made sure I brought my t-shirt and had her sign it again. She said I have to get another one with her new number on it. She also asked about my other friends - I'm sure meaning Mel 1&2 and you Kathy! as I told her I came down just to see her play. I told her you guys couldn't make it. Little does she know I fly for free. :p

Ron was giving me grief about how lousy the Power were last year and that they're not much better this year, but frankly I disagree. It sounds like our backline is solid - FINALLY. And just wait until Pearce gets back into the mix. I think we're gonna be pretty darn good this year. Can't wait to see them play.

N~

2. RB1

RB1 New Member

Jul 10, 2000
    :eek:

4-1 without Milbrett?! Boston was admittedly missing important starters (off the top of my head Lilly, Mellgren, Sobrero) but that's still mighty impressive. For me, the most interesting part of the write up:

"Power head coach Tom Sermanni started the game with a backline of Lindsey Jones, Lauren Orlandos, Cheryl Salisbury and Margaret Tietjen, none of whom played with the Power last season. With Shannon Boxx playing d-mid, the Power won just about every ball in the air."

That's a huge improvement over last year's leaky back line, and yes, it'll get better when Christie Pearce returns. Lindsey Jones is a defender out of Notre Dame who tried out with the Cyberrays last season. She looked pretty darn good in preseason scrimmage, but couldn't crack the roster given the Rays defensive depth. I guess Tom Sermanni liked what he saw enough to invite her to try out with the Power. I hope she makes it.

3. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boston has six starters at Algarve: Lilly, Hucles, Sobrero, Mellgren, LeBlanc, and the new French midfielder whose name I can't spell plus Gulbrandsen who is injured. The Power has three over there, to the best of my knowledge, Milbrett, Pearce, and Rapp.

Still, Boston has done little over the winter to shore up their "Leaky Cauldron" defense. :(

From the Breakers' website: Breakers Suffer 4-1 Loss