POW= Martinez?

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by puttputtfc, Aug 19, 2002.

1. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Not that it matters much, but the POW is Chivas Martinez. I guess Buddle should have done a liitle more. It is on the MLS page and someone more internet savvy than me, please post a link.

2. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  3. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't worry, I've written a note to the wonderful Mr. Don Garber about that, and the two fouls this week that the disciplinary committee needs to take action on (Hartman & Guiterrez). We'll just have to see if there comes a reply.

I agree though, it doesn't matter, but its a matter of principle. Buddle has done better over the last week... he deserves it more. Even Martinez is quoted as being surprised that he earned it over Buddle, Jones, and Cienfuefgooooes.

Here's the requested link:
    http://www.mlsnet.com/content/02/pow0819martinez.html

4. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the article in the Dispatch this morning, Buddle was overlooked in the voting for Player of the Week because it was a Sunday night game. Does that mean it'll get carried over to next week? I doubt it, MLS will just let Buddle remain a blip on the rador and then drop back out of sight.

5. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I don't think that it carries over to next week. But regardless I hardly think that Buddle is a blip on MLS's radar. Maybe they don't have him in any Strike Force promo banners at the top of Big Soccer, but he is known and respected by all teh other teams in the league now. Being a U-23 international gets you some recognition that way. If MLS doesn't wanna promote him or give him a shiny 6 inch POW trophy, thats fine. I'm sure he has bigger goals anyway.

6. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    The best thing about having Buddle, is that if MLS does allow McBride to go overseas to play next year, it's not horrible to have Edson Buddle as "Plan B". And he's only 20 years old!!!!

A front line of Cunningham/Buddle for the Crew for the next 3-5 years. Not bad at all.

7. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So essentially whoever decides on the POTW has an early bedtime on Sundays?

I don't get it.

And MLS has absolutely no cred if they let that hit on Buddle slide. Hartman completely overreacted, but Gutierrez deliberately nailed a player in teh head and then compounded the sin by going down and holding his face when clearly he got no contact.

Bastard needs a 3 game suspension and a fine to go with it.

8. Elizabeth

Elizabeth New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Columbus, Ohio
    Have you ever tried Machnick? Whatever his name is? Head of referees. I called him at the home office really po'd about a game a couple of years ago. He not only called me back the same day, left a message and tried to reach me again the next morning. I got back to him and he said they were in the midst of decision making on how to fine or reprimand players that were not called out on the pitch. He was very ellaborate and open to ideas. Not sure how far they've come on this route though.

9. Jambon

Jambon Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Did any of you guys actually see Martinez's goal? You just don't see that kind of thing every day, and that's why he justifiably won the award. Maybe if Buddle had nutmegged 3 defenders then the goalkeeper, he could have topped it. But putting a few "points" up against a golazo that will be league highlight reel material for years to come is just no comparison. Try not to be such homers.

BTW, congrats on the development of Buddle and Martino this year. I had written you off as dead in the water earlier, but you look poised to make another strong late season run this year.

10. Adrian

Adrian Member

Columbus Crew
    England
    May 9, 1999
    Plain City, OH, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Disagree. They have a separate competition for best goals. It's called "Goal of the year".

Player of the week is not about who scores the best goal. It's about who was the best player during that week. Buddle was hands down more deserving of that than Martinez, who admitted it himself.

If Martinez knows it and admits it, why can't you?

11. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I don't see how Buddle would be in the mix because to me a week is from Sunday to Saturday, so in my mind that would make Edson's performance on Sunday good for the next award. Anyway, he wasn't even the best player out on the field on Sunday, that honor would go to Jeff who should have been the MOTM.

12. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta admit, he has a point there; JeffyC was brilliant.

And Elizabeth;

The guy's name is Joe Machnik; he's like the head of Officiating, although he himself is an ex-goalkeeper. Good man though.

They now have this process that I don't completely understand, but basically when there's an incident that somebody thinks needs to be reviewed they draw a committee from a pool of (retired?) officials and ex-players.

The committee reviews the films and hands down a ruling which can include fines and suspensions IF the referee did not give the player a red card.

I THINK I have this right. Maybe not.