Potential Round of 16 Opponents

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Ed-D, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I obviously don't want to jinx us. Our qualification for the elimination round is anything but assured, even (especially?) after a very fortunate victory in the first game. Lots can still go wrong and there is absolutely no guarantee we get another point, much less results that have us advancing out of the group.

Nevertheless, it's a fun exercise in conjecture to take a look at the group H teams and see who we might potentially match up against in the round of 16. Especially now that group H is looking like one of the weaker ones in the entire field.

I see no chance of us winning the group, so there is virtually no chance we will play Algeria, who are extremely unlikely to finish first in group H. Belgium are obviously the favorites to win the group, though their first half against Algeria left a lot to be desired. I also think that is the only team who would be favored against us.

Russia and South Korea are both very intriguing. Russia for obvious reasons (commie bastards) and South Korea because of some unfinished business from 2002. I think we can defeat either team. Unfortunately I don't think either of them is good enough to win the group either!

2. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    You're not looking hard enough.

The R16 opponent isn't nearly as important as the potential QF opponents, imo.

Having said all of this, now the final Group G standings are jinxed.

3. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if we do beat Portugal, do you really think it will be by four goals? That will mean we will need to beat Germany in the final match, assuming they hold serve against Ghana. Sorry but Germany are just too strong for us. Color me unrealistic, call me a pessimist, tell me I'm not a real fan: bottom line we ain't winning the group. Sorry.

4. DCSounder

DCSounder Member

May 22, 2014
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Realistically it will be tough to win our group, even if we win the next game, given the sheer goal differential Germany has over us (for which I'm also thankful at the same time). So my premise is we go into the round of 16 in 2nd place in group G.

However, after watching all of the group H games, I still think that group is up for the taking by Russia, SK and Belgium. Coincidentally enough, we'll get to see that group play itself out prior to our game against Portugal on Sunday which makes it that much more worth watching all the games that day. Once our game is done the picture should be fairly clear (fingers crossed)

Either way, I think we'll end up with Belgium in the round of 16, followed by either France, Switzerland or Argentina in the quarterfinals. Because we can.

5. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not going here......yet.

6. aquablue

aquablue Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Belgium has top talent, I would predict that they finish first. Therefore, I believe we will face Belgium if we get through in 2nd. That will be a match that is very difficult. However, i think it's not a match that is DOA. We would have a decent chance at winning if we are on the top of our game as underdogs.

7. ty webb

ty webb Member

Aug 28, 2005
    NYC
    Thread should be deleted.