Potential Names

Discussion in 'San Diego' started by Lithium858, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you think there would be issues with USD if a MLS team was named Toros?

2. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL, those damn Padres. I can't wait until the O'Malleys and Phil Mickleson finally purchase the team from Moores/Moorad.

3. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably... Similar to the other thread where bringing back the LA Aztecs in San Diego was mentioned. It would just be too closely associated with the school.

4. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would get sorta confusing lol

5. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't see how. One is the University of San Diego Toreros, the other is the San Diego Toros. One is Cowboys, the other Bulls. That and this would not be the first time they had coexisted either.

Lithium858 repped this.
  6. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When was the last time?

You're probably right, and it's easy to figure out the difference, I just think it'd be one more marketing obstacle (as minimal as it might be).

Wynalda and Barton commenting on the Roma/Lubin game, just keeps making me think it's gonna be Flash lol

7. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last time the Toros played in 1968 they coexisted for a year with no issues.

But I agree as of now the Flash seem the only candidate with a shot. Though that could always change.

8. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They seem the best option (bias alert: I've been paying way more attention to them than any other candidates), but they seemed to tense up and back up a bit after that meeting with Downs...

9. C-bus

C-bus Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just visited San Diego for the first time. Yeah, this city should have a team! I'd love to have an excuse to drive down for a weekend when the Crew come to town.

Lithium858 repped this.
  10. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I'm glad you enjoyed it! And yeah, I'd love to drive 10-30 minutes for FCD games than 2 1/2 hours... NASL commish downs seems (at least somewhat) interested in putting a team here, and Garber seems committed to NYC2 and a Southeastern team, so I don't know how much hope to hold out for MLS...

11. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah that worried me too. And since that last meeting and the meeting with the mayor Clent and the Flash have clammed up as it pertains to the NASL. Meanwhile the NASL hasn't been quiet at all now leaking that they're considering a team in Northern Virginia (Loudon) as their next franchise. There may have been a bit of a disconnect with regard to the price involved in moving up that the Flash were not aware of.

On the plus side maybe this will spur them to consider USL Pro where the Flash would have both the LA Blues (if they survive the off season) and the new Phoenix team in relatively close proximity rather than being remote from the rest of the NASL.

Skippysasquirrel repped this.
  12. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it's been frustrating from the SD stand point, but what can ya do? Clent made that comment about hosting the NPSL finals being the focus of their attention, but that was some time ago now and they've said nothing else. Not that the NASL possibility is done for, but that it just doesn't seem likely as far as we can tell.

I remember we were talking about the possibility of USL Pro when the Phoenix team was announced, and it's certainly worth considering. But who knows? With the little NASL-USL pissing contest, Flash may have ostracized themselves....

I kid. Kind of...

13. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You may kid, but you could be right. We know Clent was involved with A-League (which evolved into USL) back in the day and that didn't end well. But I think I recall them considering USL 1/2 and PDL when they were looking or a league to join initially a few years back. So who knows.

14. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd much rather see Flash than Sockers, and I assume it's more likely because they're the club showing interest. What's everyone else think?

15. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They can't switch to Sockers. The PASL San Diego Sockers team owns that trademark now so it is not available and they have no interest in giving it up nor moving outdoors. The Flash would have to stick with Flash or go with something new. And since the Flash name has a history at the D2 level I'd rather they stick with that over a new name. Even if "Flash" is kind of generic.

As for "choosing" NASL, that seems to be the only league they've had discussions with. Though they haven't posted anything on it quite some time after their initial interest.

16. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sockers owner has absolutely no interest in fielding an outdoor team. So your thought is a dead end. Plus that would be self defeating anyway as it's the Flash's owners who were exploring moving up to NASL in the first place. So might as well drop any hope of the Sockers name being used on an NASL or MLS team. It's not happening for the foreseeable future.

17. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread may be dead but wanted to post my 2 cents anyways

First vote is for the Sockers purely nostalgic reasons everyone else has mentioned. If it wasn't for them I wouldn't be on this message board now (or waking up at 4:30 and wasting money at a certain pub on India street)

If not the Sockers than has to be something representing the region. My votes would be Armada first, SEALS second, and International third. (Yeh I know it sounds like a rip off from Europe but San Diego is literally the largest border city in the world, well maybe second to TJ.

Finally again for nostalgic reasons love the blue and gold, but was surprised how good the Red and Yellow striped one looked and like the tie in with the city flag, plus different than the rest of MLS.

marford21 and Lithium858 repped this.
  18. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TJ is slightly smaller than SD (by about 22,000 people).

19. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In all fairness it is actually impossible to count, so many people live their daily lives on both side of the border. But it is remarkable that the two largest border cities in the world are on either side of the same border. So any point for being San Diego International.

20. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a shame Union was already taken by Philly. It could also apply to SD-TJ as the union between two countries, peoples, etc...

Ben7 repped this.
  21. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Inter SD? I dunno. I don't mind it, but I have a feeling it would end up being something like the Waves or Gulls or Sealions or something...

22. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Perhaps the San Diego Water. Or SD Wet.

23. Kot Matroskin

Kot Matroskin Member+

Aug 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    San Diego ICE

Sorry, couldn't resist.

24. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeh I would support the team regardless of how stupid the name is, but unless it's sockers I don't want a cheesey american sounding name.

25. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good call, LOL. For some reason when I read "toros" it processed as "toreros"