Potential Names

Discussion in 'San Diego' started by Lithium858, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Ben7

Ben7 Member

Jan 14, 2007
    #326 Ben7, Mar 26, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    current top suggestions (with at least 100 votes)

Footy McFooty Face 6501
    San Diego Surf 1565
    San Diego Bad Hombres 1436
    Mission San Diego FC 402
    San Diego Football Club (SDFC) 275
    San Diego Armada 129
    San Diego Sol 120

McFootyFace and Bad Hombres will get nixed, once they are submitted to MLS at the latest.

I expect a lot more votes for the MLS approved names down the line.

Any info if FS now wants to include write in options?

2. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah of the top 7 there, Footy McFooty Face won't be accepted by MLS (nor is it really a serious name I'd wager). Bad Hombres won't be accepted either, and frankly is just a Trump mock. Surf won't be accepted since the Trademark isn't available being owned by the youth group. That leaves Mission SD FC, SDFC, Armada and Sol. All solid names IMO.

3. Ben7

Ben7 Member

Jan 14, 2007
    current top suggestions (with at least 200 votes)

Footy McFooty Face 9391
    San Diego Surf 3149
    San Diego Bad Hombres 2049
    Mission San Diego FC 688
    San Diego Football Club (SDFC) 539
    Inter San Diego 301
    San Diego Valor 285
    San Diego Armada 278
    San Diego Riptide 275
    San Diego Sol 274
    Atletico San Diego 272
    Athletic Club San Diego 159

barring any late jumps, it seems to be a fight between 4-5 names, not to drop out as #11

4. Ben7

Ben7 Member

Jan 14, 2007
    and the official MLS San Diego expansion team would be called...

5. wmwilson

wmwilson New Member

Mar 3, 2017
    That's hilarious! So with McFooty out I'm guessing #2-11 will be submitted. I think Valor was #11 towards the very end. Maybe they'll drop Bad Hombres too? I think Athletic Club San Diego was the next one in line after Valor.
    Anyone know how soon to expect a pick? Days, weeks, months?

6. Papillon Soo Soo

Jan 17, 2012
    I voted for San Diego Brewers a few times. I am so tired of Euro pandering names. I prefer team names that sound like what we have in the other US sports. Of those types of names, I'm not big on military or Spanish settler-themed names.

FC is unoriginal as hell, but if it prevents something truly ghastly like Mission San Diego or San Diego AFC, I can deal.

7. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's wrong with Mission San Diego or San Diego AFC? I mean one is region appropriate and the other is actually pretty clever pandering to Euros or the city itself with the double meaning.

8. Papillon Soo Soo

Jan 17, 2012
    Well, since you asked...

They don't sound like American sports team names. "AFC" is not a team name it's a title. What's the nickname? If it were packaged with a nickname like the Loons did and the AFC can sort of be dropped easily/interchangably I could live with it. But if the AFC becomes the focal point, and people start calling the team "the AFC" or even worse "SDAFC" that's dumb to me. And while it's original as far as MLS names go, it's boring. Plus it needs to be explained. While I get soccer has a unique culture and many soccer fans get it, we still have to get on in a society that generally doesn't get the sport.

I spend more time talking MLS to ordinary American sports fans than I do Eurosnobs. If they don't hate soccer and just don't understand it that well, I find those types more receptive to MLS than eurosnobs. Part of the reason I think that is because I can appeal to them on the grounds of their general sports fandom. Snobs will always have their mind made up and aren't worth the energy to pander to. Shit like this, that sounds dumb -and- makes no sense to American sports fans just adds more annoying obstacles in my way. Even the average Mexican soccer fan (who I have also found more open to giving MLS a try then eurosnobs) would probably not digest that name.

Plus I don't care for America's Finest City. That's some civic booster's invention. It's rather meaningless to me. Never used it.

Mission SD is better, but I just don't like the sound of it. I prefer traditional american sports naming styles.

If the team gets named something stupid, I'll be pissed but will get over it eventually and then it will seem normal. Like Real Salt Lake.

9. Rick O'Shea

Rick O'Shea Member

Aug 19, 2008
    San Diego Nevadas
    San Diego Amigos

10. HUBENET

HUBENET New Member

Apr 7, 2017
    San Diego Toros

11. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Bump

12. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, 1904 FC it is.
    S=19
    D=04

13. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the NASL team yes.

If you have to look up what it mean in the Urban Dictionary, its probably not the best branding idea... Even if somewhat clever.

CoronaOrange and owian repped this.
  14. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah took me a while to figure it out. Is 1904 actually a thing for San Diego? If so I feel really old because I have literally never heard the reference. Plus while I know it's not supposed to be a year everyone is going to assume it is. And that year has absolutely NO connection to the city. Or sports in this city. If you really wanted a year go get some intern to find the first recorded soccer match in San Diego. Wouldn't be that hard.

15. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah it’s clearly not a year. And I’m 35 and I’ve never heard of it either. So it’s not an age thing.