Potential MLS CONMEBOL Players

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Tyler66, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Over the summer I made a list of all the non-Mexican players in CONCACAF who could play in MLS. Now I'm going to do a South American edition. Mexico is the only country in CONCACAF that has a league on par with MLS. For CONMEBOL I'll exclude Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Paraguay, and Uruguay. First I'll look at Bolivians.

D Lorgio Alvarez, 27, Cerro Porteno (Bolivia)
    F Jaoquin Botero, 27, UNAM Pumas (Mexico)
    F Jose Alfredo Castillo, 22, Tecos UAG (Mexico)
    F Milton Coimbra, 30, Ionikos (Greece)
    M/D Sergio Jauregui, 20, Yverdon-Sport FC (Switerzland)
    D Juan Manuel Pena, 32, Vilarreal (Spain)
    D Ronald Raldes, 24, Rosario Central CA (Argentina)

2. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    cerro porteño is from paraguay

3. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico has a league on PAR with MLS??????????

NO fix that MEXICO has a league vastly supieror to MLS... And for a list that excludes argentina, brasil, and Uruguay. Nice to see a Player from Rosario Central. Last I know they play in ARgentina.

Oh by the way Cerro is from Paraguay. Jaquin Botero is one of Bolivia's best talents and I doubt he'd play in MLS. Wish full thinking though.

jejejejejjeje on par with MLS JAJAJAJAJ. Thanks for giving a hard working man a laugh.

4. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gee, guys please get it off your minds.. I am a huge follower of MLS but to say MLS is on par with MFL is way off.... SAy what you will about their style of play and antics-which I know turns off some MLS fans about the Mexican league- but they are clearly a better league, which also enjoys parity, just at a better level...

5. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I'm sorry I meant on par or better. I'm not doing Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Paraguay, and Uruguay, because they are at least as good as MLS talent and Argentina and Brazil far better. I know the MFL is better, just forgot to mention that.

He's a Bolivian though. I'm just excluding those players from those countries, not one's that play in those leagues.

So were Moreno and Etcheverry and Vaca and so on, but he could still play here someday. If David Beckham would consider playing here, than many others could in the right time.

Fixed:
    D Lorgio Alvarez, 27, Cerro Porteno (Paraguay)
    F Jaoquin Botero, 27, UNAM Pumas (Mexico)
    F Jose Alfredo Castillo, 22, Tecos UAG (Mexico)
    F Milton Coimbra, 30, Ionikos (Greece)
    M/D Sergio Jauregui, 20, Yverdon-Sport FC (Switerzland)
    D Juan Manuel Pena, 32, Vilarreal (Spain)
    D Ronald Raldes, 24, Rosario Central CA (Argentina)

6. Screech Powers

Screech Powers New Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Highlands Ranch, CO.

7. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Chileans:

M Clarence Acuna, 30, Rosario Central CA (Argentina)
    D Christian Alvarez, 25, Universidad Catolica (Chile)
    GK Claudio Bravo, 22, Colo Colo (Chile)
    D Pablo Contreras, 27, Real Celta de Vigo (Spain)
    M Nicolas Cordova, 26, Ascoli (Italy)
    M Claudio Maldonado, 26, Cruzeiro EC (Brazil)
    D Luis Fuentes, 34, Cobreola CD (Chile)
    F Patricio Galaz, 28, Universidad de Chile (Chile)
    M Mark Gonzalez, 21, Liverpool (England)
    F Sebastian Gonzalez, 26 Atlante (Mexico)
    M Fernando Martel, 29, Cobreola CD (Chile)
    M Rodrigo Melendez, 28, Estudiantes de la Plata (Argentina)
    M Rodrigo Millar, 23, Huachipato (Chile)
    M Milovan Mirosevic, 25, Racing Club de Avellaneda (Argentina)
    F Reinaldo Navia, 27, Club America (Mexico)
    D Rafael Olarra, 33, Universidad Catolica (Chile)
    D Rodrigo Perez, 32, Pachuca CF (Mexico)
    F Mauricio Pinilla, 21, Sporting Clube de Portugal (Portugal)
    M David Pizzaro, 26, Udinese Calcio (Italy)
    F Luis Ignacio Quinteros, 26, Puebla FC (Mexico)
    D Francisco Rojas, 31, SK Sturm Graz (Austria)
    D Ricardo Rojas, 31, Club America (Mexico)
    F Marcelo Salas, 30, River Plate CA (Argentina)
    GK Nelson Tapia, 39, Cobreloa CD (Chile)
    M/D Rodrigo Valenzuela, 25, Club America (Mexico)
    M Jorge Valdivia, 22, Colo Colo (Chile)
    D Jorge Vargas, 29, Livorno AS (Italy)
    M Moises Vilarroel, 29, Colo Colo (Chile)

8. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First of we all know Chile sucks ;)

But some of these players could not play in MLS as they are prohibitively expensive...Pinilla, Pizarro, Rojas, Seba Gonzales, etc.... OTOH, we pay American talent such as EJ and LD close a million per year.... Guess it 's about investing and hopefully being lucky with the signings... However, the less risky proposition would be to get talent still in the SA leagues.... not the standouts that each league's clubs plan to sell straight to Europe or Mexico, but the next best players...

9. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United

10. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004

11. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I doubt all of those could get significant playing time in Europe. Also I know Chile kind of sucks, but they must have a system like ours where everyone gets a look, because there were so many names on playerhistory. Also some of them might want to play in the United States for reasons that don't involve money.

12. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jamie Moreno was ONE of BOLIVIA's best talents, but his move to MLS damaged his Bolivia career. He was rarely called into camps post 1998.

Marco was one of South Americas best #10's. DC UNITED revived his career. But for some reason he remained in the shadows of Erwin "platini" Sanchez.

13. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Ecuadorians:

D/M Ulises de la Cruz, 31, Aston Villa (England)
    F Agustin Delgado, 30, Barcelona Sporting Club (Ecuador)
    D Giovanny Espinoza, 28, Liga Deportiva Universitaria de Quito (Ecuador)
    D Ivan Hurtado, 31, Pachuca CF (Mexico)
    M Edison Mendez, 26, Liga Deportiva Universitaria de Quito (Ecuador)
    D Neicer Reasco, 28, Liga Deportiva Universitaria de Quito (Ecuador)
    M Luis Valencia, 20, Villarreal Club de Fútbol (Spain)

14. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    which is a shame because I watched my first Bolivian league match the other day and my lord is it crap

15. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    One match?

Substitute Bolivian with MLS and you get one of those oh-so-terrible Eurosnob comments. :rolleyes:

Let me guess, you are probably the first one to complain when it's the other way around.

16. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    :D

Well put.

17. regulator

regulator Member

Apr 25, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    de la cruz is still considered to be one of ecuador's best players, although he hasn't excelled in england. a recent rumor involves his transfer to colo colo of chile. i highly doubt he would come to mls

el 'tin' delgado, long viewed as ecuador's best striker, is way too injury-prone. during the last WCQ, he was one of the most dangerous strikers in south america...but injuries have affected his play alot, and also eventually led to his departure from southhampton and back to the ecuadorian league. he has lost alot of his pace, and i dont think mls would be wise in picking him up.

espinoza has become a fixture on the ecuadorian national team's roster at center back. he plays well enough...i guess he would be a good pickup.

hurtado is the other fixture at center back for ecuador, and their captain. he is much more skilled than espinoza, however i've read that he comands a large salary in mexico, so mls should probably stay away from that

mendez (along with de la cruz) was ecuador's best player in korea/japan 2002. he is an attacking mid, who also plays the wing. if the price is right, i feel he could be an 'impact' player in mls.

reasco is one of the somewhat regular starters at left back for the ecuadorian national team. he doesn't excel, but he's not bad. pretty consistent, also makes good runs up the left side. good pickup if he can come relatively cheap.

valencia would never come to mls, unless he gets injured in spain, or fails to impress. he has been ecuador's most impressive player in recent months...so much that he was quickly picked up by villareal (for a good fee, although i dont know how much). mls would probably have to pay alot to bring him over, so it's not feasible (IMO) to do so.

18. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Cool that we have an MLS fan who knows more about these players than I do. I just use player history and national-football-teams to find these players. I guessed MLS wouldn't be able to get Valencia, but I put him here, because he could play in MLS. To me it would be like making a list of Costa Ricans and leaving Paulo Wanchope off. I know Valencia isn't currently in MLS's range at the moment, but he could still play here.

19. regulator

regulator Member

Apr 25, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yea i get what you're saying. i always wanted some sort of thread like this to be started, so that fans could see some potential new faces. good job and hope to see at least some of these players in MLS :cool:

20. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Peruvians:

D Wilmer Santiago Acasiete, 27, Unión Deportiva Almería (Spain)
    M Juan Bazalar, 37, Club Cienciano (Peru)
    F/M Jefferson Farfan, 20, PSV Eindhoven (Netherlands)
    F Jose Paolo Guerrero, 21, FC Bayern München (Germany)
    M Juan Jayo, 32, Club Alianza Lima (Peru)
    F Andres Mendoza, 27, Metalurh Donetsk (Ukraine)
    M Roberto Palacios, 32, Liga Deportiva Universitaria de Quito (Ecuador)
    F Claudio Pizarro, 26, FC Bayern München (Germany)
    D Cesar Miguel Rebosio, 28, Unión Deportiva Almería (Spain)
    M Nolberto Solano, 30, Aston Villa (England)
    M/D Jorge Soto, 33, Club Sporting Cristal (Peru)

21. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll have to agree with you there.. Any Euro/SA watching a KC or C-bus game (the oh-so-rare boring ones :) ) and bitching about it would be lambasted as a Eurosnob/SA snob right away... I say we should stray away from the double standards....

22. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See some of these names? This is what i'm getting at..Being born in Peru.... I recall Pizarro was sold to Bayern Munich for 7 million pounds a year or two back... FArfan was sold to PSV for a couple of millions IIRC... and just like DMB his value right now has gone up beyond MLS level of purchasing power... SAme with a bunch of other players.....

I know we bought players like Diablo, Valderrama, etc... But unless MLS has decided to buy a bunch of star players once again, as it did to start the league in 96...a lot of the players you mention (in each list) are unfortunately out of our price range..... Still appreciate the effort put in developing these lists... Some of these names (in each list) i think we could use.... and would not be that costly...

23. thepundit

thepundit Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tacoma, WA
    having lived in Asuncion for some time i would appreciate it if you could do a Paraguayan list please.

24. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    looking at your list, i cant imagine anyone purchasing 37 year old bazalar

the only players that i could see playing in the mls in the near future would be juan jayo or jorge soto

25. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am sorry but this list or lists have NO merit and little research. What I see here are names from the national teams of each country cut and pasted... Most of these players are under contract, being scouted by bigger clubs, or are well worth over a million and a half dollars that MLS refuses to spend on any one who is not Landon Donovan or over 30 and European...

True MLS has NOT had luck with most south American players.... But that is because MLS always has picked the guppies while ignoring the Sharks... Today if MLS really wanted to we could have players from the national teams of Uruguay, Peru, Ecuador and Colombia... Instead we will see the galvan rey's and the Tammashiros ( the samuri no one ever heard from who played in the fusion)...

When MLS has wanted to their South AMerican talent have been dead on... Cristian Gomez (this talent was found by dc united) , Diego SOnora, Adrian Paz, Eduardo Hurtado, despite his later years he would score 14 goals a year, Ariel Graziani....