Potential Impact Substitutes or Starters - Transfer Forum

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by newterp, Dec 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was wrong about the transfer fee, but Keita has not shown the "upside" that he was acquired to display. In terms of actual value to the club since Keita was brought in, Wijnaldum has been the greater asset, but much of that owes to the fact that Keita has been hurt.

I want to see Keita be the player who was so prized by Klopp, but I'm still waiting. His transfer value has dropped substantially since he came to Liverpool. I wouldn't be surprised if Wijnaldum was worth more in the transfer market now than Keita, though a good final 1/3rd of the season could change that.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  2. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    usscouse repped this.
  3. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wilson + Grujic = Werner.

yes please

4. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  5. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Why do you guys want to have Werner actually? The whole setup at Leipzig is put in place for him to shine. He will not get that at Liverpool as he doesnt get it at the German NT where he regularly de-surfaces.

He's that kind of player that thrives under certain circumstances and attracts interest. Big EPL club comes in buying him and then he gets thrown under the bus because he doesnt deliver in a complete different setup. From my pov, he is not that kind of class of player that you could throw into any setup and he'd still deliver. You can buy him and he'd end up a "striker option Shaquiri" who will make 20 games per season with 15 of which as a sub. If you think we need such a squad player thats fair but spending 70 mil EUR for that?

6. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Exactly the type of player with whom Liverpool seems to have succeded during Klopp's time. If Klopp wants him, I reckon he sees something we don't. I didn't see Mané and Salah tearing it up they way they now are. Heck, I felt we'd overpaid for each one of them.

Of course, it may all be a smokescreen while we are pursuing another target.

7. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I disagree. Mane and Salah did not have a system built around them. Roma and Southampton couldnt even afford to do so. What you mean is Klopp's record of somehow always building players like them into his system. That Klopp is making players better.

8. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #258 imasyko, Feb 9, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    So a 'reverse Cotinho' in a sense? Perhaps, but as has been said, If Klopp wants him...and let's not forget that historically Klopp's system is hard on attackers as they have to press. And we've been pretty fortunate that the only attacking player in the last two years who has missed significant time is Ox.

I want what this guys been smoking...https://www.liverpool.com/liverpool-fc-news/features/liverpool-klopp-sancho-werner-elliott-17714242

9. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Signing Werner (or Sancho) this summer could be really good timing. Werner is going to be the main man for one of the favorites at the Euro’s. If he came to Liverpool, he would arrive very late in preseason. Like all new signings, it would take some time for him to learn the way that we play. For the first half of the season he would get his games here and there. Sometimes replacing one of the front 3, sometimes coming off the bench, and sometimes playing as a 4th forward in a 4-2-3-1.

Then January will come around and the two main men will be off to Africa for 6 weeks to play in the Africa Cup of Nations. This is when Werner’s opportunity comes, and he can establish himself as a crucial player.

The following summer, one of the front 3 (most likely Salah) could move on, and Werner steps right in with a season under his belt.

If you’re Klopp trying to convince him to come, this is a good way to sell it to him.

imasyko repped this.
  10. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Gini seems a cultured guy and I can see him wanting to try his hand in Spain or Italy.
    He also doesn't seem the type of player to down tools as his contract expiration approaches.
    I'd be sad to see him leave, as he has an incredibly unique skillset and a top notch work rate, but wouldn't begrudge him the opportunity to go elsewhere on a bosman and earn a mint.

11. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Word is, via The Athletic, that Wijnaldum will be signing a new contract soon.

newterp repped this.
  12. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and that VVD has no interest in Juve.

13. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Just ‘real’ journalism, right? They’ve moved on to Firmino now. Apparently he’s on his way to Bayern for £75m.

Many moons ago, I was friends with an Italian journalist who wrote for Tuttosport who revealed some of the tricks of the trade. Firstly, to get their fans off their backs, a club like Juve would often “leak” a story about who they were going to sign. Sometimes this was done with a nod and a wink, sometimes they genuinely played the journalist.

Secondly, an editor would sometimes need a column and would have a chat with a journalist about who Juve/Milan/Inter etc. should sign. The “should” there was meant as I strongly suggest you write a column saying they are going to sign or they have opened talks with X.

Thirdly, very prevalent in pre-season, a journalist would be stuck for 250 words or more and would muse thoughtfully about why [PLAYER] was definitely going to [CLUB] and it made so much sense.

Finally, there was the usual one, common worldwide, where a dissatisfied player/agent leaked anonymously about being a want-away.

He assured me that Spanish journalists sang from the same hymn sheet also, especially at La Marca.

newterp repped this.
  14. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yep - good luck with that one Bayern. I suppose maybe they meant 175m? Even then I'm not sure it would be a good move.

15. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The firmino story is pretty funny - don't see us getting rid of him just yet.
    The reports are saying that we're sacrificing Firmino for Werner - would require a pretty big change in style/mentality.
    When signing his new contract, he said one of the reasons was so that he'd be the one to transition the squad instead of handing that responsibility to somebody new.
    I could see him letting one of the three go after next season, but I don't see Klopp breaking up the band quite yet.

usscouse and newterp repped this.
  16. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...alkeeper-Adrian-linked-return-Real-Betis.html
    Betis want Adrian - I'd not sanction this move, he's a tremendous goalkeeper to have in reserve.

https://www.football365.com/news/liverpool-pay-65m-samuel-chukwueze-villarreal-rejected-transfer-bid
    He's 20. He's incredibly quick and athletic. Purchasing him this summer would allow him at least a season to learn under Salah/Mane before replacing them.

https://www.football365.com/news/li...lson-curtis-jones?utm_source=Bibblio-F365-RHC

usscouse and newterp repped this.
  17. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s also terrible because it originated from the S*n. In other words - it was almost certainly a made up clickbait story.

18. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    chukweze would be great for the long term ... but we’d lose him to the AFCON next year too.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  19. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Liverpool are preparing to offer Netherlands defender Virgil van Dijk, 28, a new deal worth more than £150,000 a week.

soccershaggy and BtownKj repped this.
  20. BtownKj

BtownKj Member

Italy
    Jul 15, 2006
    South Korea
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Whatever it takes, he needs to be resigned. With him wanting to stay it shouldn’t be hard but he needs to be a focus

imasyko and SamScouse repped this.
  21. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #271 Wingtips1, Feb 13, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    Links today include:
    Werner (yawn).
    Marcelo Brozovic from Inter. Apparently has a 51m release clause. Don't see us making that move - but at least its a new name and required some creative thought by the "journalist" that came up with it.
    Bukayo Saka has 18 months left on his deal at Arsenal (he's only on 3k/wk) and we're interested in him.
    We've apparently told dortmund to keep us up to date on Sancho's status.

We've made a formal offer for Mbappe (one of four on the table). Report is saying the move has been sanctioned by Nike - whatever that means.

22. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #272 newterp, Feb 13, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    I hate this about sports now - and it's been corroborated - that some of these huge sponsors now have a say where their star players go. Ridiculous.

BtownKj repped this.
  23. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Interesting article in The Guardian about VVD. Bascially the thrust is that he cost £75m which was seen almost immediately as a steal. Hiding in plain sight is the phrase.

But the question posed (and they pretty much dismiss the Juve link) is that if he were to be sold amicably, what would his price be? The Guardian thinks about $150m, but I disagree. I don't know what the figure is, but it's more than £150m.

24. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I don't want to give the idea any oxygen.

jeffcoop, BtownKj and imasyko repped this.
  25. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC