Potential Impact Substitutes or Starters - Transfer Forum

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by newterp, Dec 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Willian to Liverpool...I can't see it but hey stranger things

2. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Seems like a reasonable solution. Let’s hope some of our other potential targets (Sancho, Havertz) stay put so we can go after them again next summer when there is more certainty in the world.

I think the biggest factor preventing us from spending money is not knowing if we can offload players. There might be a handful rich clubs willing to spend this summer. But will there be any market for us to sell Origi, Harry Wilson, Shaqiri, or Grujic? The clubs who may have dropped 20-30 million on one of those are no longer in a position to do so.

speker repped this.
  3. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yeah , I'm sure much of our planned spending was to be funded by selling the players you mention. Now with revenues for next season uncertain I'd imagine a lot of clubs will be hesitant to spend and possibly look to loans or promoting from within their clubs.

4. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Hopefully this doesn’t result in some of the big spenders taking advantage of clubs desperate to sell. Man United are trying to get away with only offering 50 million for Jadon Sancho. Hopefully Dortmund holds on to him until the market goes back to normal and they can get a fair price.

5. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may have missed it - but don't forget we have upgraded a lot of contracts. This is part of our spend that's not always appreciated. The story is that they want to extend VVD and Allison's deals this season.

6. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...lah-keen-to-stay-at-liverpool-for-a-long-time

Mohamed Salah has said he wants to remain at Liverpool for a long time and believes the team have developed a perfect understanding.

The forward, who signed a new five-year deal in 2018, is the club’s top scorer this season with 17 Premier League goals, helping Liverpool to secure a 19th top-flight title with seven games to spare.
    Jürgen Klopp said on Saturday his aim was to keep his squad together and Salah’s words will be music to the manager’s ears.

“I’m very happy … I can’t describe my feelings after we won the league after 30 years,” Salah told BeIN Sport. “I can see people’s joy and this is so important for all of us. I enjoy the atmosphere here ... I love this place and I hope to stay for a long time. The atmosphere here is different to any other place.

“We have adapted well as a team and our understanding is perfect. If this continues, we can achieve more. It’s difficult to maintain our current level, but it’s not impossible.”

Salah hailed the impact of the captain, Jordan Henderson, and said he would pick the midfielder as the best player in the league this season. “Maybe I’ll choose Henderson because he’s the captain and he’s been here for about eight-nine years. He had a difficult time in the beginning and he was heavily criticised. He, as a captain, is loved by all of us and he tries to help all players and helps youth players to adapt.”

speker repped this.
  7. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Salah is happy at Liverpool but that won't stop certain teams from trying to lure him away from Anfield (ie Real Madrid, Barcelona, PSG, Juventus, Man Utd, Bayern Munich, etc) but I just love that Salah is so loyal. Why? Liverpool is the only club who gave him a chance and didn't give up on him. I'm talking to you Chelsea and Roma because those clubs gave up on Salah too quickly. Big mistake.

8. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roma is the team that gave Salah the chance. We made Roma the offer they required to sell. They definitely didn’t give up on Salah at all. The partnership of Dzeko and Salah was quite good.

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  9. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Also, if Salah and Mane have been watching things over across in Europe, they will realise that after Liverpool it's mostly downhill, Real Madrid, Barcelona and Bayern be damned.

10. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

11. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Rumours about Thiago Alcantara continue. I wonder ...

Is Liverpool thinking of changing the way the midfield plays? Last night showed the tendency-- which to be fair had largely been not been seen for a long time- - for the midfield to seem pointless. By this I mean not creating nor helping in defending when the fullbacks foraged forward.

12. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Imagine if he does sign

13. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    29 yr old - injury prone midfielder. Not sure if that makes sense.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  14. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    LMAO

the CHAMPIONS play a poor game and our midfield is suddenly "pointless" ???

god almighty.

Wingtips1 and soccershaggy repped this.
  15. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I agree. no way will this happen.

16. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Here's a few reasons why it does make sense:

Klopp loves him. I remember when we signed Naby Keita, Klopp said that Naby had been the best player in the Bundesliga that season...along with Thiago Alcantara.

We don't have a midfielder like him. The type that can get on the ball, slow the game down, and calmly spray passes around. City have an abundance of these players, and he would allow us to play in a different way if Klopp chose to.

We are not in the business of signing 29 year old's. However, our sports science people might be looking at his playing style and projecting that he can continue to do what he does into his 30's. While a player like Gini Wijnaldjum, who relies on constant running may not project well into his 30's.

When Joe Gomez went off at halftime we saw Fabinho move to CB. Is this something we might see more of next season? Lovren (hopefully) is leaving this summer. Instead of replacing him, we can make Fabinho our 3rd choice CB. He is more capable of filling that role than any expensive options in the transfer market. If you want to free up Fabinho to be available for that role you need another midfielder. Thiago may be less expensive than what it would have cost to replace Lovren. Henderson was also sensational when playing as a 6 when Fabinho was injured this season.

hubbabubba and speker repped this.
  17. bayern is god

bayern is god Member+

May 26, 2007
    india
    Thiago is a class act and would instantly upgrade our midfield for reasons Suss pointed out exactly.

Hendo/Milner/Gini/Ox for all their running and hustle aren't very cultured on the ball unlike Thiago who can keep hold of it and tiki taka opponents to death.He's been an ever present in the Bayern midfield but has been usurped this Season after Flick took over cause with Mueller playing behind Lewa they've opted for a Goretzka - Kimmich double pivot.

He's a phenomenal passer,His vision is second to none and if on song few could live with him in Midfield.If at many a time we feel our midfield is too sterile and we don't have that lock picker in the Coutinho mould, he could just be THAT Man to make us better whilst not splashing an insane amount of cash.

hubbabubba, Suss and speker repped this.
  18. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Despite our recent successes Klopp may feel he needs to tweak our playing style a bit so as not to become too predictable and be found out by other clubs.

Thiago in mf would certainly give him the option of a different styled mf to any we have now .

hubbabubba and Suss repped this.
  19. bayern is god

bayern is god Member+

May 26, 2007
    india
    And with Lallana and Shaq on their way out,I can clearly see why Klopp might be interested.

All out attack against the minnows :

..................Naby............................

Thiago..............Fabinho.................

Playing Away to a Top 6 Rival :

...................Thiago......................

......Fabinho..........Hendo/Gini........

Can be a DLP and pretty much run the game from Midfield in Scenario - 1 , can link up and feed runners from our front three in Scenario - 2 when were trying to keep things solid away from home.

The Options are plentiful.

20. bayern is god

bayern is god Member+

May 26, 2007
    india
    100% Agree.

If we want to keep pace with City I really think we need to invest in a few players to refresh the squad.As much as Klopp & FSG feel the time is not right,a few quality players in keeps everyone honest without complacency setting in.

I personally would definitely spend big on someone like Adama Traore.

21. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    in all these discussions about midfield options nobody is talking about Naby or Taki ..... ??

edit: except Bayern that is :)

22. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Different kind of players to Tiago, I'd say , Sam.

23. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to start to see a 4-2-3-1 start to show up again, especially when we are up against teams that are playing in a low block. Just gives one more advanced player who can help stretch defense out of position.

speker repped this.
  24. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'm aware of that.

25. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford