Potential European Superleague club owners that will say yes to its formation

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by pc4th, Aug 27, 2007.

1. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Salzburg do have - in numbers - decent support at least.

2. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Ironically, in a European superleague, all these glory hunters will suddenly end up watching teams that never win anything and just sit in mid/lower table.

3. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    This would fail so quickly it would be hilarious.

What a lot of people are missing is that there are only 7-8 clubs in Europe with global appeal.

The second tier is simply less interesting than your local rivals .

4. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    I love me some good old-fashioned riots. :D

5. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    This should come as a surprise to no one, I guess :D.

6. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The concept would not have relegation, hence the idea of a Superleague. The idea is to leave out the possibility of having the likes of Bolton, Inverness, Espanyol, etc, from ever being on the same level as those in the Superleague. Which is also a chief reason why I'm against it.

Creation of this league unfairly anoints several clubs as the unofficial representatives of a whole nation as part of a European league. Using your lineup ManU, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal become the teams for England, which is an insult to the likes of Aston Villa, Everton, Newcastle and others. It's a shrewd business move for the select few but one that would adversely impact hundreds of other clubs left on the outside.

If the G14 pushes for this under the conditions rumored, they would not have the best interest of their nations and football in general, at heart.

7. st mirren till i die

Jul 14, 2007
    Glasgow
    Club:
    Saint Mirren FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    The prospect of a European superleague really doesn't bother me, the English and Scottish national leagues were opposed when they were first established on the grounds that they would damage the sport. In fact arguably the opposite happened.

There are at least a couple of clubs in every European nation that are simply too big for the league they play in, if they want to break away and form their own international league then so be it, it wont affect me I don't care :cool:

8. cdmphy

cdmphy Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

I agree with this. It would seem that this act alone would bring parity to most leagues.

Remember one of the things that helps football to be so interesting are the crowds, and the away fans will dry up fast under this league. That could cause them some headaches. Also, they would see a significant reduction from 60+ games to 40 or so. Huge loss of revenue for teams like United who are said to profit a million per home game.

9. ChicagoAzzuri

ChicagoAzzuri New Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Chicago
  10. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I was going to mention this. I think it's all talk at this point. The big 5 want their voice heard, and rightfully so because of the fan base they hold and ultimately the revenue.

11. Cirdan

Cirdan Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Jena (Germany)
    I actually doubt that even the English Top Clubs would join a European Super League instead of competing in their domestic league. I am not sure if such a league with 2 or 3 German teams would do well on the German market against the Bundesliga, it might work, but it also might fail and cost the participating teams lots of money. I think neither Bayern nor any other German Club would join.

On the other hand, I think it's less unlikely that the top clubs will make their own Champions League, playing that instead of the UEFA competitions, but remaining in the domestic league. Maybe UEFA or the domestic leagues could prohibit this, but if the top leagues lose to many CL spots they might try that anyway.

12. Forza Bayern

Forza Bayern New Member

Jul 6, 2002
    Stuttgart
    I agree. I can't see Bayern joining an European SuperLeague.
    The German Championship has a high reputation within Germany.