Potential Dominican Republic USL1/USL2 club

Discussion in 'USL Expansion' started by Erik S, Apr 12, 2009.

1. FamousGreenArmy108

FamousGreenArmy108 New Member

Dec 11, 2008
    C-Town
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    I'm actually going down to Hato Mayor this summer on a mission's trip with my school. Where do you live there?

2. Erik S

Erik S Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed it would, Also, I wouldnt mind headin out to DR to watch the Battery play either, :D. Puerto Rico and DR would be an amazing rivalry, I really hope this happens but either way the future looks bright for USL1.

3. MLSn00b

MLSn00b Member

Apr 3, 2008
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
  5. MLSn00b

MLSn00b Member

Apr 3, 2008
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. That would be the problem. When you hold concerts and other non sporting events the fields get torn up. Although if the scheduling is done correctly and the field is maintained there might be a chance that it could be used for a team. Afterall Estadio Quisqueya is also used for concerts once in a while and it doesn't look all that torn up, at least in the pictures I've seen of it. As for goalpost, you could always reconfigure the field so that you could use temporary goal posts.

6. Erik S

Erik S Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. MLSn00b

MLSn00b Member

Apr 3, 2008
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Olympic Park @ Santo Domingo. Right at the heart of the city if I'm not mistaken.

8. Erik S

Erik S Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this stadium can be fixed up a bit, it would be a perfect place for USL1 I think. I would think the people of Santo Domingo would fill up the place. I hope a nice ownership group comes along and has hopes of putting a USL1 team there. I would think the USL would probably let them in if they have the right plan. Does anybody know of a potential ownership group in or coming to Santo Domingo?

9. DaSage

DaSage New Member

Oct 27, 2008
    San Juan Puerto Rico
    www.soccerlive.com.do

his names is Mynor Valverde

Mynor Valverde
    NUEVO CIELO S.A
    Abraham Lincoln 901
    Edificio Santiago, Local 2A
    Santo Domingo, República Dominicana.
    T. 809 7327826

10. MLSn00b

MLSn00b Member

Apr 3, 2008
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, what also makes it an ideal location is that the first line of the new metro has a stop at the Olympic Center. There are more lines planned, one which would connect to a future train line between Puerto Haina (just outside of Santo Domingo) and Santiago, which would make it easier for more people from around the country could come and see a USL team.

11. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    That is totally correct but I still have my doubts about the proyect. But I admit that the Islanders are doing well in Puerto Rico, so if things worked out over there, it must be possible here as well.

Lots of people do like soccer here, they watch Barcelona - Real and River Plate - Boca Juniors on TV, but if these people would be willing to buy tickets to see the Charleston Battery or the Cleveland City Stars, that's a very different question

During the Panamerican games in 2003, the final between Argentina and Brasil had I believe 15 000 fans

12. Erik S

Erik S Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would you like there to be a USL1 team in DR?

I think the people would be willing to buy a ticket to the league matches no matter who it is but I dont live there so Im just assuming. I think a team would also help the national teams performance.

13. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bermuda set up there D2 team to help improve there National team. They also pay a large amount of the travel cost for teams. I wonder if it is something the DR federation would look at doing something like that.

14. MLSn00b

MLSn00b Member

Apr 3, 2008
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think people would go. IMO if they could get 4,000-5,000 a game it wouldn't be too bad. If I'm not mistaken it wouldn't be competing with any other sport (the Dominican Baseball league plays in the winter and the basketball league starts in the second half of the summer).
    I think it would be a smart thing to do. For a small nation like the DR it would be good to have a large number of national team players playing on one team so that way they become more of a unit and play off of each others strenghts and weaknesses a lot better.

15. j-pr

j-pr New Member

Sep 6, 2007
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    Dominicans play Basketball? :rolleyes:

Now seriously, that would do wonders for the USL rivalries thread.

16. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    ''Dominicans play Basketball?''

yep, and even a few of them end up in the NBA, like Charlie Villanova, Francisco Garcia, Al Horford and Sammy Mejia nowadays and Luis Flores and Felipe Lopez a few years ago

A few dominicans play pro basketball in France

There is even a dominican playing with the San Diego Chargers, but I believe he was already born in the USA, so he might be called here a ''dominican york'' just like A Rod