Potential Coaches?

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by jd6885, Sep 22, 2007.

1. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that made me chuckle :D

2. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno...whoever coached the Brazilian 2004 Olympic team had me impressed.

3. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    Sundhage interviewed for the Job at the same time as Ryan... US Soccer wants someone to manage all the national programs, not just coach. She was not interested in managing the entire thing, she only wanted to Coach the WNT.

Isn't the current Brazilian coach the same as the 2004 Olympics?

4. jc in nh

jc in nh Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Canterbury, NH
    Sundhage, Sundhage, Sundhage! Maybe there's some middle ground to be found, now that she's had some time in China and we've lost to Brazil 4-0!

5. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm, wonder if we can add a poll to this thread.

Here's a list of names that have been thrown out by folks and others are just for fun. Spelling not guaranteed.

Tom Stone
    Pia
    Jerry Smith
    Kirkorkian
    Domanski-Lyfors
    Scolari
    Jurgen
    Theune-Meyer
    Lauren Gregg

6. Stinky Shinguards

Jul 8, 2006
    IL, Chicago suburb
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even though it may be Ryan's first loss, it was an inexcusable one. Working so hard for team chemistry/harmony and to do what he did to Hope and the defense is idiotic. This is a game that the coach is truly responsible for the loss. He did everything one would do if they were throwing the game. Change the GK, sub in defenders when you are behind, lose 0-4 without ever having Kai, Tarpley, et al who could have made a difference, not even get in. I thought that we were getting away from the nostalgic past when they finally got rid of Heinrichs, not.

Time for a coach who will play for the present and future. Bring on Brett Hall (did you see him consoling Hope during the game), Rory Dames, Tony DiCicco back, Roy Hudson or even Julie Foudy. Any of these individuals coaching this game would have won.

It's amazing all of this women soccer talent in the U.S. yet we show like this?

7. CalTechie1

CalTechie1 New Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Ppppiiiiaaaa!

8. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is Lauren Gregg doing these days? She was supposed to be the heir apparent to DiCicco, right, but Dr. Bob wanted April.

9. PVancouver

PVancouver Member

Apr 1, 1999
    Well, if history is any indication, won't it be Greg Ryan's Chicago Sting buddy Bret Hall? The man has a soccer pedigree an inch long, and he might even be nicer than Tony DiCicco.

10. Dogbreath

Dogbreath New Member

Sep 10, 2007
    Maui
    Good call!
    I hear Bora's available, too! He may not get to learn another language, but I bet the locker room scenery is better!:p

11. casocrfan

casocrfan Member

Nov 25, 2004
    San Francisco
    If we go American the federation has to go after Jerry Smith and really push hard. The problem is that our federation won't do it.

The USSF is run by a bunch of arrogant, power-hungry men that don't think anybody else in the world knows anything. Look at the Klingsmen mess with the men's national team. Same deal. Jurgen wanted to do things differently so the fed said goodbye.

I don't know if Sundhage, or any other foreign coach for that matter, will want to work for these guys. Why would they?

Smith is our best option but he has stated he wants the national team job to be his last coaching stint. It's up to the fed to make the offer that will change his mind. Smith has the coaching style and tactical knowledge to excel on the international level. I actually think he makes a better professional coach than a college coach.

12. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking back to 2004

For those of us with limited memories, here is a thread started after the 04 Olympics about the possibility of an international coach:
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131851

The one right below it wonders who would replace Foudy as the team leader. Guess that one never got answered... (for those who want to look around for other threads from that time period, here is the current page that they are on: https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36&order=desc&page=32

And here is "Greg Ryan is the new coach" (several pages later)
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187139

13. hellothere123

hellothere123 New Member

Sep 29, 2007
    Foudy all the way!

14. PVancouver

PVancouver Member

Apr 1, 1999
    There is some amazing stuff in the Greg Ryan thread:

15. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000