Potential 2018 England World Cup Team

Discussion in 'England' started by Simon Barnes, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Simon Barnes

Simon Barnes Member

Aug 28, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    ok, just creating a bit of a fun post and see how our team line ups might be completely different for the England 2018 world cup team. Obviously being 4 years away we dont know if young players develope the way we all hope as some will fall away so this is all based on current ability or projected ability. With the current squad being young many will still be in there prime come 2018 so will the young up and coming players be able to get ahead of them? My starting line up would be;

Hart
    -----------
    Walker
    Chambers
    Stones
    Gibbs
    -----------
    Rossiter
    Loftus-Cheek
    Wilshire
    ------------
    Sterling
    Sturridge
    Chamberlain

That was actually quite tough as im sure Ive overlooked some talents like Solanke, Brown, Wilson, Ali, Niles, Crowley, Roberts, Gomez, Galloway, etc who will all be early 20's in 4 years. Cant really think of a right back that could potentially oust Walker in 4 years time, maybe Jenkinson. Maybe Shaw could he in for Gibbs at left back. My midfield is obviously very much about potential and injury free and more experienced Wilshire.

2. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Without perusing your list, I think most people will already think Nathaniel Clyne has taken over from Walker for good.

But yes a fun thread for this time of year - I might even do one myself.

Simon Barnes repped this.
  3. Simon Barnes

Simon Barnes Member

Aug 28, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I forgot about Clyne, whoops! :thumbsup:

4. khoazany

khoazany Member

Apr 11, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hart/whoever
    -----------
    Clyne/Walker
    Jones/Chambers
    Cahill/Stones
    Shaw/Gibbs
    -----------
    Chalobah/RLC
    Wilshere/Ward-Prowse
    Barkley/Crowley
    ------------
    Sterling/Redmond
    Sturridge/Kane/Wilson
    Chamberlain/Roberts

5. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    There's more than 11 there.

6. khoazany

khoazany Member

Apr 11, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    First XI are those that listed first for each position.

7. Simon Barnes

Simon Barnes Member

Aug 28, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    To be fair its pretty tough as there are so many candidates which kind of says a lot about the potential of the kids being produced at the moment. Going to be interesting looking back on this in 4 years time if were even close to the team selections, providing off course we qualify.

8. Simon Barnes

Simon Barnes Member

Aug 28, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    There are some good options there. Im still not sure or convince that Chalobah will end up making the grade of a senior International player Though, hope im wrong.

9. khoazany

khoazany Member

Apr 11, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think he'll turn out to be a consistent performer for a good PL side after he leaves Chelsea (sorry Chelsea fan).Actually Henderson should be there but I don't really rate him.

10. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I didn't even rate him when he was an u17 player. He would appear to have been treading water for sometime now.

11. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I still think Rooney will be involved because of politics and etc. I think Henderson will have made a name for himself in 4 years time and might be the captain. He will turn 28 during the World Cup.

GK: Hart/Butland
    RB: Clyne (It's his position, don't see Walker challenging him)
    CB: Jones/Stones/Gomez
    CB: Cahill/Chambers
    LB: Shaw/Gibbs
    RCM: Ward-Prowse
    CM: Henderson/RLC
    LCM: Wilshere
    RW: Roberts/Welbeck/Ox
    ST: Sturridge/Rooney/Kane
    LW: Sterling/Berahino

Who knows maybe Ravel will have gotten his s""t together and fullfill his potential. Crowely, Solanke, Brown, Ibe, Chalobah, Redmond, Akpom, Baker, Edwards...

This is making me very excited for the future. For the now the future looks loaded with talent and depth.

12. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Chalobah looked amazing when he was younger. When I saw him play in the U-17 World Cup I thought he would be a potential starter for the the upcoming Euro's now. He looked so calm, composed, and skillful (still is).

13. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's a decent team but I can't see Rossiter getting in this squad with all of the midfielders we would have by then. Hell Rodwell may have turned his career around and more realistically Henderson might have that position held down like he does now at a ripe age.

I would like to see Sturridge still in the side, but Kane, Berahino, and Wilson will for sure be knocking on the door. Rooney will still be around. Wickham as well and don't forget about Ings.

14. Simon Barnes

Simon Barnes Member

Aug 28, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    To be honest, im not a huge fan of Henderson. Think he does an ok job but im really hoping some of these young talented midfielders come forward and prove to be much better players. I think there are plenty of young midfielders with more natural ability than Henderson thats for sure. Rooney may be on his last swansong in 4 years but I think the likes of Sturridge, Welbeck, Kane, Solanke, Brown, Berahino ( hell this is like a throwback to the 90's when we had loads of really good strikers ) probably others too will hopefully overtake him. Will be amazed if Rodwell turns his career around though, really cant see him being a contender. The reason for Rossiter is that im hoping he might develope into that holding midfield problem position for us, or even Ledson might be a contender too.

15. Simon Barnes

Simon Barnes Member

Aug 28, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Redmond is an interesting one to watch, if he gets a good move to a good club and plays often could really become some player. Dont have much hope for Ravel though, think hes going to be a sinking ship from now one unless someone can get hold of him and give him a brain transplant!

16. Simon Barnes

Simon Barnes Member

Aug 28, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I actually overlooked Will Hughes who im a big fan off and who should be sniffing around a starting birth by then. Surely he will have got a move to a bigger club by then.

17. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hart, forster

Gibbs, Bertrand
    Clyne, chambers
    Cahill stones
    Jones, dier
    Wilshere, jwp
    Hendo, miner
    Barkley, ox
    Sterling, theo
    Welbeck, sturridge
    Kane, kid at utd whose name escapes me

18. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    James Wilson?

thebigman repped this.
  19. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Out with the old and in with the new. (It's possible I might have to amend one or two of the very young ones next year - just the odd tweek)

Keeper

Gomex Adarabioyo Oxford Neufville

Roberts Diallo RLC Dozzell

Solanke Abraham

20. Simon Barnes

Simon Barnes Member

Aug 28, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Crikey, that's a young team. Probably average age of 20 I guess in 4 years time? No Crowley though, thought he might have been a cert for your team?

21. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Nearly all our young players have spent a lot of time injured in their careers already. Wilshere, Chamberlain, Shaw, Jones, Smalling, Stones, Barkley have all had spells out. Sterling seems to have stayed remarkably injury-free so far. Chambers hasn't been injured much either. Then slightly older Walcott and Sturridge are both out a lot/for a long time. We seem to be forever waiting for our players to reach their potential, and eventually they will run out of time.

22. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Too bad because Rooney has been injury free for awhile now. Hasn't missed an England match due to injury since October of 2013. Wish it was like that when he was 20-26.

23. Simon Barnes

Simon Barnes Member

Aug 28, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    There does seem to be something in our DNA or just simply our training, style of football or play to much football that does seem to cause our players to get injured more than players from other countries! Maybe I'm wrong and all countries have injury issues like us but I only focus on England and it feels we always have more of our top players out injured before world cups than other countries!

24. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    As I said on this site a couple of years ago (to some derision) I've long thought footballers should take silicon supplements - a lot of em seem to get injured doin' ******** all, even warming up is enough to incapacitate some of them.

25. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Because of the speed and athletes in the game they have to try and become demi gods. Only some manage it without huge injuries. I personally think they need to do more yoga and core work and weight training.