Post your 5 preferred and your 5 most disliked WC national teams

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014: General' started by Brasitusa, May 27, 2014.

1. d3rd3vil

d3rd3vil Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Lol at who plays the most beautiful soccer. Everyone says Brazil even Germany? I can say for sure thats not the case. Brazil is a brutal fighter team but beautiful is sth. else....

2. tzachi

tzachi New Member

Jun 13, 2014
    Club:
    Hapoel Ironi Kiryat Shmona
    snorka the amazing oracle pug who has 100% succses so far in the euroleage basketball games and in the first world cup game knows the reasults of the next 2 games.. watch it now

3. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    c'mon, you know snorka's gonna pick korea to win. otherwise he's in the soup.

LGRod repped this.
  4. WraithXx

WraithXx Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    does. not. f***ing. compute.

LGRod, guignol and Wessoman repped this.
  5. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I usually love Brazilian soccer and I usually enjoy pulling for the home team to do well so that it injects pride into their nation.

However there is something about Brazil 2014 that rubs me the wrong way. The players came onto the field with arrogance like the cool kids at a party and then they played like they were entitled to win.

6. Lusitania14

Lusitania14 Member

Aug 24, 2010
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    CR7 was a serial diver back in his first years at Manchester, but in the last couple of years he has cut most of the diving from his game. Anyone who has watched him since the beginning of his career will tell you that.

This thread is about national teams, not clubs! What does Benfica have to do with the Portugal NT? You do realize that 90% of the starters from Benfica aren't even Portuguese... Daah.

7. LastBoyscout

LastBoyscout Member+

Mar 6, 2013
    I don't know how it is with his national team, but with Real Madrid if things are not going his way, he is prone to go down very easily and throw his hands up in the air, and shake his head sadly at the ref if he doesn't get the call. Sure it isn't as systemic as it was but he still does it.

8. zeitgeis

zeitgeis Member

May 13, 2014
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The question was what were our favorite teams. I have long beseem a fan of all these teams. But I support the US against all others.

9. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Snorka picked them all right. Good Puppy.

10. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Now Netherlands moved up to my 5 favourites list! amazing showing today! cheer their goals like if they were from messi!

And Spain....., oh well, they were already my most hated team so ...:D:D:D

11. karpouzeiro

karpouzeiro Member

Jun 13, 2014
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    preffered--->Netherlands,Argentina,Greece,Italy
    disliked----->Germany,Brazil,Spain,England,

12. Adrianb1983

Adrianb1983 Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    hahaha, you made me read a British article quoting German players and you want me to take that as THE TRUTH??? Now, I forgive you.

13. rios

rios Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Club:
    Villarreal CF
    :)argentina colombia uruguay netherlands spain:)
    :mad:brazil germany england italy argentina:mad:

14. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Are you talking about different Argentinas or you have a love-hate thing going on?

LGRod, Nordino and Christina99 repped this.
  15. Haole

Haole Member

Feb 14, 2005
    costa mesa, ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lordy what's happened to Casillas? That was tres embarassing to watch. And now what? Reina??

16. Haole

Haole Member

Feb 14, 2005
    costa mesa, ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yes, RVP's headed goal was sensational.

17. Haole

Haole Member

Feb 14, 2005
    costa mesa, ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys outside of the USA - what's sports radio coverage like in your country?

Around here (Los Angeles) the matches are typically running throughout the workday so I"m listening to radio. The ESPN announcers are fine - it's the local lead-in programs and postmatch analysis that is laughable.

The typical banter from local radio sports guys is so inane - they've yet to figure out who the better sides are and continually remind us that "...well, Brazil is Brazil." Uh, yeah and what's that supposed to mean?

18. PremierUSA

PremierUSA Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    For

1. USA--Supporter since the 80's
    2. Uruguay--Forlan, baby!
    3. England--I've long rooted for them. Even their unpleasant fan base hasn't drove me away.
    4. Germany--Not against the USA; but they're the Euro powerhouse I've long loved. You can tell I'm not a typical English supporter to have Germany on my list.
    5. Netherlands--Robben and Van Persie are maybe the funnest combo going.

Against

1. Brazil--To me, a team that routinely overachieves. The Brazil soccer worship does nothing for me.
    2. Mexico--I always root against them. They're not as hateable as in the past though.
    3. France--Another side that has historically over achieved.
    4. Italy--I liked Roberto Baggio in the day. I haven't like the Italian reincarnations.
    5. Portugal--Another over hyped side. And CR7's glory does nothing for me.

Also For

Croatia--They played better than Brazil and were robbed on that call. Also, I need them to beat Mexico (and Cameroon).
    Greece
    Japan
    Ivory Coast
    Australia
    Costa Rica
    Switzerland
    Honduras
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Nigeria
    Algeria
    South Korea

Also Against

Ghana--Not for them; but unlike many US supporters, I haven't internalized a huge level of disdain. We should've played better in both our losses to them. I feel like we beat ourselves and Ghana happened to be the opponent both times.
    Columbia
    Spain
    Chile
    Iran
    Ecuador
    Argentina--Though, I could see myself rooting for them in certain situations
    Belgium--They could be a for in many cases. But I'll start them on this side of the ledger. I don't care about their golden generation. Their fans (like Bosnian fans) are way too smug for their own good.
    Russia
    Cameroon--In that I'm rooting for them to lose to Croatia. But I'm fine with them beating Brazil; not that that'll happen. They look like one of the junior varsity teams in this tourney.

19. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I didn't expect so much people against Columbia.

Columbians must be mad.

Christina99 repped this.
  20. marush

marush Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Germany(Bad anthem,it is allways funny to see the germans and nobody is singing.
    This is patriotism. Funny against italy,france,england etc where everbody is singing lol

England( Lack of qualities,only fighting, but their philosophy and style is the best in the world. In times of tikitaka shit,the problem is that the english national is not the epl. They want to play like epl but they havent the skills, One of the best anthem)
    Italy( technically always strong and very elegant. And what they do is mostly good. For example Spain has 80% Ballposition and 1 Shot on goal. Italy has 20% and 10 Shots on goal. Good counterattack, good freekicks,good combinations. They are always dangerous.One of the best anthem
    Belgium( my mothers home country)

dislike
    Brasil( technically the best, but for me boring. Ball position,ball position,ball position.Brasil interval football 50 backpasses and slowly)
    Spain( the same like brasil ball position,ball position,ball position)

21. Farhad Khan

Farhad Khan Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Asia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    1. Iran (my nation. don't expect them to get far but would love it if they could show the world they're a proper footballing talent as well by competitively pushing for that 2nd spot)

2. Japan (fellow AFC member. Play exciting football and have passionate yet humble fans/players/coaches)

3. Portugal (been supporting them since WC 2002. Big Figo fan. Love their current players as well)

4. Germany (Most neutral Arsenal fans have a soft spot for them. Mertersaker, Podolski, and Ozil. nuff said)

5. Ivory Coast (Some world class players, always played good football, this is their golden generation to succeed with if they can. There's always one African team that does well and overachieves in a WC. Hope it's their turn.)

Teams that didn't make it:
    -Turkey (such a shame. great football nation that is amazing in tournaments but can't qualify regularly for Euros and WCs,
    -Sweden (Yeah Ibra said it best. WC won't the same without him.)
    -Egypt (something like Turkey)
    -Love Argentina. Great attacking players. Just missed my top 5 list though. I know they will top their group and I hope they can make it to semis, final, or even winning it.

Dislike

1. South Korea (It was love-hate relationship but after much tarnished relations in the last WCQ, I've lost respect for them. Hope I can regain it though. Just like Japan. Good football but although some (not all)of their fans/players/coaches haven't been professional/courteous when it comes to Iran. Wanting to knock Iran out of WCQ. Posting their coaches face in the locker rooms and stadium, glass bottles thrown when Iran was celebrating qualification)

2. Brazil (I honestly think the coach should have invited certain players he omitted. Don't like the fact that Neymar is being portrayed as the centre of the team. He's overrated and supported too much.)

3. Australia (Always been dicks to Iranians since that WC play off match in 1997. Get over it Aussies. It wasn't like we cheated. We just scored the same amount and beat you on away goal rules. I can't stand it when they gloat whenever Iran draws/loses but when Iran does well in games and makes the WC, then they always say we got lucky or we don't deserve the WC. As if they deserve it more than us and they haven't earned enough respect in Asia yet)

4. Spain (I would have said this even before the 5-1 loss to Holland but their tiki-taka/barca moments is over)

5. Not against any other teams.

Zandi360 repped this.
  22. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Two countries choose England as the country who play the best football as the second choice. Australia and Japan, blimey. :ROFLMAO:

23. d3rd3vil

d3rd3vil Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Bullshit! They are not ^^

24. Shannbo5150

Shannbo5150 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Sarawak
    Nat'l Team:
    Swaziland
    Top boys
    1/ England, born and raised. Supporting them though has contributed to my general lack of enthusiasm for living.
    2/ USA - often say I was Americanized before I even set foot in the place. I'm a volunteered citizen and travel proudly and exclusively on a US passport Do get irritated by the persecution complex of a good number of yank fans constantly bleating about how they're hated and berated by the rest of the world.
    3/ Holland. Best mate's mum is Dutch, love the country and love the people.
    4/ Ghana - my kids' mum is from Sierra Leone. Since they're not qualified, I will go with a West African neighbor.
    5/ Ivory Coast - see note 4

Hate hit parade as follows:
    1/ Argentina - that cheating poison dwarf Diablo Maradona, and that nation's current useless President who like her predecessors uses the Falkland Islands to divert attention away from her political incompetence. Have never met an Argentinian I disliked personally, but hate their cynical football and obsession with islands that don't belong to them.
    2/ Germany - what they did to the Mini was a crime against humanity.
    3/ Iran - Hubristic national personality trait. Not fond of their Repressive Islamic republic in general.
    4/ Mexico. Just love winding up my Mexican neighbors and co-workers when the US wipes the floor with them.
    5/ Italy - Better than England despite impossibly boring football and a poor ethical approach to the game.

25. Fitzgerald1848

Fitzgerald1848 New Member

Jun 15, 2014
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    FOR

Ghana
    : My main team. My wife and I sponsor a child in Ghana and he dreams of one day playing for his national team. Plus, they have some of the most passionate, devoted, and fun fans anywhere.

Germany: My wife's family is from Germany and that is her team. If I cheered against them, she might hurt me.

Ireland: I know, they haven't made a World Cup final since St. Patrick chased the snakes out, but I'm of Irish heritage and still cheer for them to at least score a goal in the qualifiers!

AGAINST

United States:
    I'm American but I absolutely cannot stand all of the fans that come out of nowhere every four years and proclaim that the US will win the World Cup. Add to that the arrogance of a lot of soccer fans in the US. (Not all and from what I've seen, not from anyone on this forum and I've lurked for a very long time.) Nothing but excuses whenever they don't win. Always claiming their the underdog even if they are favored in a match. Plus the idiot Alexi Lalas serving as a blatant cheerleader for them in the last World Cup was a bit much.

England: Don't get me wrong, England has some great fans. I've genuinely liked every English person I've ever met. They have a great sense of humor and I think a lot of them are harder on their national team than anyone else. But my Irish grandfathers would be turning over in their graves if I ever cheered for England.

France: After the 2010 qualifiers, when Henry "handed" France a victory over Ireland, I'll never support them again. Even if I do like their national anthem and sing along before the matches. Watching what happened to them at the last WC was justice!

Spain: Death by 1,000 passes. Plus, I had to live with my wife after they knocked Germany out in the semifinals in the last WC. Not fun. Not fun at all.