Post stadium renderings here.

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Noah Dahl, Oct 6, 2003.

1. DCFAN

DCFAN Member

Apr 5, 1999
    That Metros render is cool. I really like the team logo on the roof.

Hopefully these new stadiums are done sooner than later.

2. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    If we could get stadiums like Rochester I'd be happy! It looks great, they will fill it (15k, I believe), and it's located in downtown Rochester.

It's for an A-League team, but it's easy to see it working in MLS as well.

3. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    It is such a good idea to build boobs right into the stadium plan. I know there are a lot fewer hoochie mommas at Spartan than there were back in the Clash days - and that's had its impact on attendance.

4. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Building the field below ground level seems very popular, with people walking in at the top of the bowl. I was surprised to see so many using that design.

OKC looks a little skeletal to me. We need stadiums that will trap the noise inside. But really, I'm happy with anything SS, anything without gridiron.

5. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Building the lower bowl of the stadium below ground seems to be a more cost effective option for many municipalities at the moment...

6. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The URL of the pic was .bigsoccer.com/forum/wishfulthinking so you'll never see that one. Not even in 60-90 days. :)

7. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
  8. chuwy2000

chuwy2000 Member

Jun 17, 2000
    El Paso Tx
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    D`oh! I get it now. Flew right over my head.

9. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    HaHa! :)

10. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    I think Hunt said something to the effect that, if he could do it over, he would have given Columbus Crew a sunken field as well. The visual effect at HDC is impressive, and i think it adds to the amosphere by creating a more sound-proof canyon.

11. Bobaloo142

Bobaloo142 Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Virginia
    DING DING DING! We have our post of the year!

12. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    HDC's roof

is absolutely stunning. i'd never seen the pictures of the roof at night, when supposedly is glows, but looky here:

[​IMG]

13. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In talking with Burn staffers they said the reason for a sunken lower level is it is cheaper to add the upper level as it is not so high. In Columbus the cost to add additional seating will be high because it starts at the upper level of the lower level which is way above ground.

14. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    Interesting. I figured there had to be a bigger, more practical reason.

15. NACIONAL

NACIONAL New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Medellin, Colombia

I think that the reason is very valid... if you can save money... the cost will down... and an aproval for one is more likely.....

Damn .... I must learn some grammar

16. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Pic is from : A-league.com via Rochester Raging Rhinos.

http://www.a-league.com/news/2003/news,2003,0058.shtml

PaeTec Park stadium of Rochester Raging Rhinos
    (Possible home of an Expansion MLS team)

[​IMG]

17. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
  18. UncleSam527

UncleSam527 Member

Jan 14, 2002
    If Rochester were smart, they would position the lights differently so that they would be able to expand an entire upper-deck as opposed to only what they have in the rendering. But then again, they might be the smart ones, and not me.

19. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    if anyone gets their hands on the new pics of the dc united stadium, post them here as quick as possible. i can't wait for those.

20. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina

Like many things at iwarp it was an outright lie. They just took pics from Darlington's proposed stadium and called them plans for a DC stadium.

21. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    dig hole/add concrete is much cheaper than building a structure, especially when you'll have to build another deck on top of that structure

unless of course, you don't care what the outside of the structure looks like. An erector-set stadium is cheap, but When you're trying to look big-league (and MLS is) you want to build stadia that look big-league to passers-by.

22. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Proposed Toronto stadium:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

23. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Toronto stadium, part II:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

24. FCBasel1893

FCBasel1893 New Member

May 7, 2003
    Basel, Switzerland
    The stadiums look nice, but they are making a mistake by building stadiums with "open" sides (where there are almost no seats, or none at all). The atmosphere is a lot better in (almost) "closed" stadiums (e.g. 4 fan curves, or round curves), and who knows how the US soccer culture develops in like the next then years.

25. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    I agree whole-heartedly about making the staiums completely enclosed. It makes a massive difference.