Post Paulo Bento - New KNT Manager Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Seol Korea, Dec 5, 2022.

1. dougdimmadome

dougdimmadome Member

Nov 16, 2021
    Seriously, I get the enthusiasm but that guy just reports on stuff he randomly reads on 다움

2. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    Any one of them is still wayyyyyyyyyy better than a domestic manager. Will be still happy with Klinsman. But Bielsa is definitely our best choice if he's really willing to come.

Seol Korea repped this.
  3. Bluewings21

Bluewings21 Member

Suwon Samsung Bluewings
    Apr 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    The criteria should be simple as this:
    1) For those who had some success at the highest level of European/South American football.
    2) But they are currently in declining trend or have been jobless for less than 6 months or so.

Guus and Paulo were perfectly fit into the criteria. They had had ups and downs prior to their arrival to Korea. For those who are currently working for European clubs or top-to-mid-tier European national teams, they will be unwilling to accept our invitation unless we offer crazy $$$ just as the Chinese did a few years ago. Well, that's just too far-fetched to say.

Testator repped this.
  4. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    He basically tossed Lee Yong-soo's list in the trash. That's already a plus in my book and a good start as the new Technical director. Also, given how he rejected the list, just goes to show you that the listed candidates were likely terrible and or not to Muller's liking to consider for the knt.

[​IMG]

nmssis, Testator and LeeSeungWoo repped this.
  5. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Neither Hiddink nor Bento were even the number 1 candidates to begin with. Hiddink was second on the list after Jacquet, while Bento was like the 4th or 5th on the list, but both turned out to be a good fit for our players/team.

As I've stated before, having national team experience shouldn't necessarily be a top priority. What's important is if the candidate has the same type of training system and leadership qualities as both Hiddink and Bento had, I mean obviously a better training system and leadership qualities is always plus, but we need someone who can deliver the them for 4 years.

6. Bluewings21

Bluewings21 Member

Suwon Samsung Bluewings
    Apr 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Guus won the treble at PSV Eindhoven and guided Netherlands to the 1998 World Cup Semifinals while Paulo led the Portguese national team to semifinals in the European Championship in 2012. That's what I meant in no.1. PB also won the Portuguese Cup during his stint at Sporting. They did have their ups whether they managed national team or club. But they also suffered setbacks, which eventually allowed us to get a shot at them. Had they not failed at all, they wouldn't even give a damn about the KNT job by any mean.

7. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    You've misunderstood my post, I'm just adding on to your opinion. My point was that two managers weren't even the number 1 candidates yet produced good results. What I'm trying to say is that the hidden gem isn't always at the top i.e. Hiddink and Bento not being top priorities, but they both turned out to be a good fit.

Perhaps, I should've better clarified with "Not to mention" as the starting reference.

Bluewings21 and Testator repped this.
  8. dougdimmadome

dougdimmadome Member

Nov 16, 2021
    Honestly Bento was a solid coach. I don't think we'll get someone as good as him for a while, considering the procrastination/incompetence of KFA. And no, I don't consider anything 한준 says seriously.

nmssis repped this.
  9. Testator

Testator Member+

Glasgow Celtic
    Croatia
    Sep 5, 2017
    Croatian coast
    There are other solid coaches out there, and with Müller involved in the selection process, someone suitable will be picked. Hoping it's not a footballing idealist, though. Pragmatism is necessary, unless you're one of the typical WC contenders. But I suppose Bielsa would excite the fans?

doraemon repped this.
  10. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    한준 as in HJTV on Youtube?

11. 12th Player

12th Player Member+

Nov 3, 2009
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Absolute NO to Klinsmann. See his failure with USMNT.

nmssis repped this.
  12. Pacman 3rd Time

South Korea
    Jul 11, 2020
    Isn't Bielsa autistic? I've worked with autistic and Asperger people and they can be very difficult to work with.

13. Bom23

Bom23 Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Call up Attorney Woo to help facilitate the communication

Tazza repped this.
  14. Testator

Testator Member+

Glasgow Celtic
    Croatia
    Sep 5, 2017
    Croatian coast
    #190 Testator, Jan 18, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2023
    Was he Valencia's manager while 이강인 still had hopes of making it there? Valencia have become hated here (for a good reason). Anyhow, Bordalas' tactics are a bit...brutish, but Korea actually has the strikers for that. 조규성 and 오현규 could make direct football viable.

15. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Actually bordalas never had the chance to see LKI cause Valencia had to let him go to make room for another foreign player.

I don't think it was Bordalas making the call on LKI

16. Testator

Testator Member+

Glasgow Celtic
    Croatia
    Sep 5, 2017
    Croatian coast
    Okay then. Was already afraid there might be bad blood.

nmssis repped this.
  17. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    LeeSeungWoo and Testator repped this.
  18. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    #194 Seol Korea, Jan 18, 2023
    Bordalas openly criticized the club for selling Lee Kang-in, he never even got to utilize him to his full potential when he wanted to once becoming the manager.

nmssis and Testator repped this.
  19. Testator

Testator Member+

Glasgow Celtic
    Croatia
    Sep 5, 2017
    Croatian coast
    One advantage of Bordalas is that his style of football necessitates a midfield general to steal balls and ruin opposition attacks. He would work hard to fix Korea's DMF problem.

20. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Why not Bielsa? I thought he put his name in the hat...no?

21. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    but then, I don't know much about Bordalas...think it might be a good fit?

22. Testator

Testator Member+

Glasgow Celtic
    Croatia
    Sep 5, 2017
    Croatian coast
    He'll need Kanginissimo as a communication bridge, and a set piece taker. Korea will change in playing style, most certainly.

nmssis repped this.
  23. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Dinero. Won't be able to match his price.

24. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    #200 Seol Korea, Jan 18, 2023

His style might actually suit us. A high pressing 4-4-2 with a balance of defense and offense, while limiting mistakes when passing.

Edit: I forgot to mention that if we do indeed end up with Bordalas as our manager, then the team will definitely be built off of Lee Kang-in, which we need to be doing anyway and asap.

LeeSeungWoo and nmssis repped this.