Post Paulo Bento - New KNT Manager Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Seol Korea, Dec 5, 2022.

1. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    perhaps we should set up shop teaching "in-game English" to aspiring goalkeepers n coaches :D

Testator repped this.
  2. Testator

Testator Member+

Glasgow Celtic
    Croatia
    Sep 5, 2017
    Croatian coast
    I'll volunteer.:D
    I always felt the problem of Koreans that don't speak English was that they had teachers who had no clue about the difficulties in transitioning from Korean to English.

nmssis repped this.
  3. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Yeup, ain't that the truth?

Testator repped this.
  4. Testator

Testator Member+

Glasgow Celtic
    Croatia
    Sep 5, 2017
    Croatian coast
    Koreans like knowing rules and procedures. Nobody got around doing that for English pronunciation. And consonant clusters don't mesh with East Asian languages.

But actually, the issue could be avoided by sending coaches to Italy, Germany or Spain. Any of these 3 use a language that's more consistent in pronunciation than English. If I were head of the "Livestock cooperative" (Automatic translation is hilarious), I'd favor Italy for their defensive tradition.

5. Tazza

Tazza Member

Nov 2, 2010

Looks like all the criticism towards the KFA is finally being heard. Maybe 정몽규 talked to 서형욱 intentionally for PR but this made me think of 정몽규 as somewhat well-intentioned but surrounded by cronies like 이용수 who want a domestic manager. Still his fault for not surrounding himself with the right people and maybe not caring enough about the KFA in general, but seemed like the bad ideas weren't necessarily coming from 정몽규

6. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    At one point I did want Halilhodzic as our manager, but a manager with his temperament and a long history of friction between the players, FA and himself is not a good fit for our players, plus he's too old now. Don't get me wrong he is a great tactician and has led multiple teams on a successful run, but he is also the root cause of the many sackings he recieved in the past; Cote d'Ivoire, Japan, Morocco just months before the WC. With players voicing their frustration with Halilhodzic, I can see why the Japanese players didn't like/want him, more so Morocco and why they felt relieved upon Regragui's appointing.

Tactics is absolutely important, but it's all moot if you cannot keep your team together. You mentioned Dalic being more of a philosopher/motivator than a tactician, but in the end it's his philosophy that kept the team as one inevitably leading to Croatia's second consecutive WC semis, which is what matters in the end. Bento isn't necessarily a great tactician either, but his philosophy is also another thing to take note of that kept our team as one.

Also, whether it's defensive football, attacking football, counter-attacking football, possession football etc. it shouldn't dictate the way our players play, because it's all about our players wanting to play the way they want to play, which is one of the key components to Bento's leadership by playing "our style" of football even though the base frame was build-up football.

And, to be quite fair to van Bronckhorst, he did lead the Rangers to the finals of the UEFA Europa League in flying colors, which is quite an accomplishment. Fink is someone who you'd consider the man who nurtured Son into what he is today, while Marsch has spent a good time with Hwang Hee-chan at Salzburg, and Rennie spent a good time in Korea with Seoul E-Land not to mention Lee Young-pyo's former manager during his Whitecap days. Stylistically speaking, Villas-Boas is like a beefed up version of Bento box, and he's been without a job for roughly 2 years.

7. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    You know you've done fucked it up bad when your mess also gets the president involved.

Testator repped this.
  8. Testator

Testator Member+

Glasgow Celtic
    Croatia
    Sep 5, 2017
    Croatian coast
    #133 Testator, Jan 3, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2023
    I am all for adaptability. I like to see a team having plans A, B and C. In order to play flexibly though, multiple skill sets need to be acquired.

D'oh on van Bronckhorst's EL run. That was good- I had forgotten it, after he flopped this season. It was a defensive Rangers team, but without their best striker at that time (Morelos got injured and is terrible right now). I get the feeling Bronckhorst could do OK with Korea at the WC with that style, but not in Asia.

Dalić has, and doesn't have a philosophy. Yes, he likes possession, but he also doesn't have a choice. Croatia's talent is utterly concentrated in the middle of the pitch. With no clear striker and right wing option, he wandered, and tried to fit square pegs into round holes of a 4-3-3. The sound part of his gameplan was to let the midfield keep possession and lift the burden off of the defense, who can stop amost anything that does go through, ultimately winning on steel nerves forged in Russia. Where the plan failed was fatigue of key players.

Korea NT, on the other hand, have a good striker, two great wingers, a skilled AM and a world-class CB. Far more dispersed talent that doesn't say: play one type of football. It's a harder job to design a tactic around this. TBH, Bento's choice of formation is okay. I'd add defensive discipline to the build-up play skill set that's already been acquired.

Dalić has kept the team as one, but that's because he's not much of an egotist. He's a patriot. He prays to God and Virgin Mary (Catholicism is a big part of traditional Croatian identity). He's set some hard limits for which he'll kick players out. But indeed, he doesn't act like a tyrant or tell Modrić what to do, because I think he knows he's not a great tactician and he lets Modrić ultimately decide on a lot. Dalić also wants him in the staff at some point, apparently.

In order for Korea to emulate Dalić, a die-hard patriot who's got a knack for team talks is necessary. Basic understanding of tactis is fine. If he understands what fatigue is, he's already better than Dalić. Now, what I've just said means: no foreign manager.

I'm sure I could rapidly improve my spoken Korean within a month of exposure, sing the anthem with the players, talk about Korean values and teamwork, burn my throat with the spiciest kimchi that exists, try to ask the North to at least root for the South after walking on foot from the DMZ to Mt. Baekdu, and I'd really try my best at all of this.:D
    But I'm a foreigner. And I don't even have coaching badges. Even though I know a fair bit about tactics.

Halilhodžić is known for not neglecting things like the patriotic charge that can carry players to overperform. but he's also a solid tactician.

9. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    [​IMG]

LeeSeungWoo repped this.
  10. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Shin Tae-yong tactically destroyed Halilhodzic back in 2017 ;). I'll just leave this here for reference:

nmssis repped this.
  11. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    nmssis and Testator repped this.
  12. Testator

Testator Member+

Glasgow Celtic
    Croatia
    Sep 5, 2017
    Croatian coast
    That's a good argument against Halilhodžić, to be fair. I hope Korea could have set pieces of that quality yet again.

13. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Testator repped this.
  14. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Yes, but the implication was made even before the official announcement of our new Technical Director Muller, at least given the KFA under fire with president Yoon getting involved.

nmssis and Testator repped this.
  15. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Fun fact, Park Ji-sung personally selected Muller.

[​IMG]

LeeSeungWoo repped this.
  16. Testator

Testator Member+

Glasgow Celtic
    Croatia
    Sep 5, 2017
    Croatian coast
    This Müller implemented the coaching badges system in Korea? He's been there for a long time, then.

17. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Yeah he's been there for quite a while, since 2018 iirc.

Testator repped this.
  18. Bluewings21

Bluewings21 Member

Suwon Samsung Bluewings
    Apr 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    He is the architect for 8-man football to take its root at youth level.

LeeSeungWoo and Testator repped this.
  19. Bluewings21

Bluewings21 Member

Suwon Samsung Bluewings
    Apr 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    He's been out of the field for about what 6 or 7 years???

20. Bluewings21

Bluewings21 Member

Suwon Samsung Bluewings
    Apr 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  21. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    See? This is why ppl like PJS, LYP, AJH who had a lot of exp in Europe should do more work in KFA, not some businessmen who know nothing about football. I wish LYP gets more responsibilities.

"뮐러 위원장의 첫 번째 당면 과제는 새 국가대표팀 사령탑 선임이다. 이를 위해 전임 이용수 위원장 체제하에서 준비한 1차 감독 후보군을 놓고 새롭게 구성된 전력강화위원회에서 논의할 예정이다.

대한축구협회는 “뮐러 위원장이 중심이 된 새 위원회에서 필요하면 후보군을 추가할 수도 있을 것”이라며 “위원회가 새로 꾸려지면 본격적으로 선임 작업이 진행될 것이므로 2월말까지 새 감독을 선임하겠다는 당초 목표 일정에는 변함이 없다”고 말했다."

Oh fk.... LYS already made a list for him for our new manager...

22. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    Japan brought their youth team to this tournament tho while we had our B team.

23. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    Wondering why this guy didnt get many credits back then.

nmssis repped this.
  24. Bluewings21

Bluewings21 Member

Suwon Samsung Bluewings
    Apr 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    We should discard that list first.
    Kim Pan-kon came up with his own list within his first week as the chairman of KNT/KWNT strengthening committee.

LeeSeungWoo repped this.
  25. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Not sure if he can revise the first list, but they did state that Muller could include any new names he feels fit for the knt.

Also, knowing Lee Yong-soo and his preferred listing of managers, Bielsa is likely to be on the list.