Post Paulo Bento - New KNT Manager Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Seol Korea, Dec 5, 2022.

1. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
  2. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    LeeSeungWoo repped this.
  3. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    Sad that our players can't trust KFA either...... I really wish we will be able to replace all these idiots with ppl who actually had decent exp in Europe. Not some brainless idiots like KBJ.

Why is PJS not even part of KFA btw?

kimchipride and Bluewings21 repped this.
  4. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    They wanted to continue with Bento, but now they're worried some domestic scrub will set the team back by not picking off from where Bento left off.

I mean under Bento's leadership, they loved his management style and training system, so it's only right that they get someone of the same philosophical calibre or better because guys like Kim Hak-bum simply isn't good enough.

Forget the whole noise about how teams at the WC have done well with their respective countrymen and how we should do the same/follow suit, we need a proper foreign manager who can help pick off from what the players have built through the 4 years with Bento.

5. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    KFA 정몽규 회장, 축구대표팀 추가 포상금 20억 기부

https://n.news.naver.com/sports/kfootball/article/311/0001534492

정몽규 회장은 “벤투 감독이 이끄는 국가대표팀이 이번 카타르 월드컵에서 좋은 경기 내용과 결과로 한국 축구의 발전하는 모습을 보여주었고, 축구 팬들은 물론 우리 국민들에게 큰 용기와 희망을 주었다”며 “KFA가 기존에 책정한 포상금 외에 협회장으로서 선수단의 노고에 특별한 감사를 표하고 싶어 기부를 결정하게 됐다”고 밝혔다.

:rolleyes:

This is like your uncle giving you $20 on a holiday, "맛있는거 사먹어!".

Instead of pocketing/stuffing the majority of the funds into your pocket, how about you fucking use those funds and bring in a decent foreign manager? Better yet, step down from your position and take your lackeys with you.

Lionel Richie, doraemon and nmssis repped this.
  6. Bluewings21

Bluewings21 Member

Suwon Samsung Bluewings
    Apr 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    It was a perfect timing for a veteran like LJS to step up and speak out loud.
    KFA can hardly ignore voice of KNT core.

7. Bluewings21

Bluewings21 Member

Suwon Samsung Bluewings
    Apr 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Unfortunately, JMK's main opposition, known as Heo Seung-pyo, will only deteriorate the state of our game if he takes the charge. HSP will not even donate the funding like JMK has done.

Very sad. But football is not that highly regarded in this country as in Europe or South America.

8. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Lionel Richie and Testator repped this.
  9. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC

lol...so true!

10. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    KFA 내년 예산 1,581억 원 '역대 최대 규모'...감독 선임은 2월 내 마무리

https://n.news.naver.com/sports/kfootball/article/343/0000118312

The KFA to begin the hiring process next year. They will start off with the main list of candidates of both foreign and domestic, and will begin interviewing them in January of next year. Then on February, they will come down to the finalists in their respective order and will appoint the next manager.

They have the funds so no excuses on why they can't hire a decent foreign manager.

11. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Surprised nobody posted this, but Kim Byung-ji is no longer one of the VPs for the KFA, he replaced Lee Young-pyo as the president of Gangwon FC instead.

Can't bare all the heat so you step down from your seat only to go to another top seat smh.

12. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  13. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    Oh I thought he was doing both. Great that we have one less shithead in KFA.

the rainmaker repped this.
  14. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    No way was he going to juggle both after the shit show he and the other members have caused. But, it does piss me off that he still had the audacity to become the president of Gangwon FC instead of removing himself from the scene for the time being.

15. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Testator repped this.
  16. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Probably the best news that's come about thus far.

이 부회장은 2022년 12월로 기존 계약에 의한 임기가 끝나는데, 2023년 2월 선임을 마무리해야 하는 차기 대표팀 감독 선임은 자신이 아닌 다른 인물이 하는 게 맞다는 의견을 축구협회에 제안한 것으로 알려졌다. 현재 축구협회 내 기술파트에서 차기 감독 선임 작업을 진행하고 있지만 실제 면접과 협상은 새로운 전력강화위원장이 맡을 가능성이 높다. 이미 축구협회 부회장을 겸직 중인 이영표 전 강원FC 대표이사 등이 새 위원장 하마평에 오르고 있다.

Lionel Richie repped this.
  17. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    #118 nmssis, Jan 1, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2023
    help me out...so LYP will be the one responsible for selecting the new coach?

Happy New Year!

18. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    #119 LeeSeungWoo, Jan 1, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2023

18:55

Seol Korea, Lionel Richie and nmssis repped this.
  19. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    So, it basically states that Lee Yong-soo is done being the VP since his term had finished last December, but he will stay on till February to help finish the hiring process of our next manager. However, he won't be in charge and instead Lee Young-pyo (Whom is also VP of the KFA) will be in charge of the technical committee for the hiring process.

Now, I'm not sure if it was a direct order from Chung Mong-gyu or if it was TSG, but they didn't want Lee Yong-soo in charge due to the Stielike debacle, and of course the heavy criticisms of the KFA due to Kim Byung-ji's ridiculous "patriotism" criteria and 1+3/2+2 contract.

Last I recall, the players made their voices clear that they want a proper foreign manager since they've liked Bento's leadership as well as his training system, so they want something similar in the sense that it's been helping them improve as a team. Both Park Ji-sung and Lee Young-pyo have stated that this is what the players want, so we'll see if it goes through next month.

nmssis repped this.
  20. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I saw this yesterday and I have to agree with 한준희.

Not sure if I said this before, but while it is important on who we bring in as our manager, it is also important on the type of personnel he brings with him as his coaching staff. For one thing, you could end up with a guy like Juande Ramos who's a decent name (Or at least was), but his coaching staff is full of old farts that aren't up to date with the current footballing system, OR you could end up with another Stielike 2.0 where not only is he a terrible manager to begin with, but he only brings his useless buddy with him as his coaching staff like Armua.

I also don't get this stupid monkey see monkey do trend that we too must use a domestic manager all because "if the other teams have done it at the WC including Japan so why can't we do the same?", like as if we'll be able to achieve similar results. We already tried it after Huh Jung-moo, and guess what happened? Oh that's right the KFA wouldn't even remember because they're too busy worrying about their seats and how much money they stuff their pockets with. I mean, it's not like they gave a shit about domestic managers to begin with as they've failed to fully support them numerous amount of times in the past so it's absolutely pointless to want to go domestic again.

nmssis, Testator and LeeSeungWoo repped this.
  21. Testator

Testator Member+

Glasgow Celtic
    Croatia
    Sep 5, 2017
    Croatian coast
    I think sending Korean managers to study abroad would be a good move. But for now, go foreign. Just hoping it's not Bielsa. Some ideas are simply unfeasible in real football.

nmssis and Seol Korea repped this.
  22. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Well, my thoughts exactly. I mean it's not that our domestic managers aren't studying and whatnot, but they usually start off by learning under previous managers as an assistant coach, then they study to get their license as such and whatever extra studying is done on their own time and money. We really need a proper program that will further nurture young and upcoming managers by allowing them to study abroad and learn the ropes from countries like Spain, Germany, England, France, Italy etc. and see how they produce quality managers and tactics; they need all the support they can get. A better player and manager development system is needed in our country.

Also, with all due respects to Loco Bielsa, he is a hard pass for me (Same with Halilhodzic). Obviously, any fan would want a manager of his calibre, but he is on the much older side at 67, to which we shouldn't be going for imho. Like with Bento, we need to be looking at young managers that are up to date with the current trend and footballing system, and it doesn't necessarily have to be one with a national team experience but preferably a club team experience as Han Joon-hee mentioned.

Where Lee Yong-soo failed with the hiring process was within his criteria, things like national team experience, World Cup experience, and at least reached the Round of 16, things that were well out of our reach and not necessarily a good fit for our players, which is why negotiations fell with van Marwijk and why we ended up with Stielike in the first place. Last I recall, Scaloni was certinaly no world class manager, and he certainly was no world beater (Now he is a world beater), but look at where he is now with his accomplishments, the same goes for Dalic and Regragui, managers who basically were unknown to the eyes of the world but managed to build a good foundation and reached very far at the world stages.

If I were to list some names using Han Joon-hee's criteria, then it would be names like Thorsten Fink, van Bronckhorst, de Boer, Marsch, van 't Schip, maybe Montella, but ideally Villas-Boas or Marcelino. John Herdman is another good example, and then there's also Colin Bell, to which it also got me thinking of perhaps Martin Rennie. Don't get me wrong, Poch is my ideal choice over all of these names but I can't be always looking way up forever now can I?

Testator repped this.
  23. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    By the way, how in the fuck did Jeonbuk managed to land Di Matteo? Although it's yet to be announced officially, I still find it pretty crazy that Jeonbuk of all teams nabbed him as the new Technical Advisor.

The fact that Jeonbuk got more game than the KFA just goes to show you how sad the KFA really is.

Testator repped this.
  24. Testator

Testator Member+

Glasgow Celtic
    Croatia
    Sep 5, 2017
    Croatian coast
    #125 Testator, Jan 2, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
    You mention Dalić, but he's a far better motivator than tactician. In 2 World Cups in a row, he even failed to rotate players, and it cost him the gold medal. Now sure, motivation is important, and Dalić gets players to "die" for the checkered shirt- the power of patriotism is immense.
    But then, the closest successful equivalent of Dalić in Korea I could think of is actually 허정무. Yeah.

Where you don't want Halilhodžić, he's my first pick. Tactical genius, but also does things that boost team cohesion, and have a patriotic feel. He made his players learn the anthem of their respective countries. On the other hand, he set the foundations of Morocco's iron wall in Qatar.

Yes, he couldn't fit in stars, but Korea's best players aren't primadonnas. Maybe Kanginissimo could be annoyed by Vaha's tactical demands, but I'm not so sure. Son would call for unity, and any resistance would go away.

Van Bronckhorst failed at Rangers, while I won't comment on the others much. Korea need a manager who knows how to set up an effective defense for clashes against big teams. I also think counterattacking easier for Korea to implement on the big stage than in Asia, so two distinct game plans would be needed.