Post Paulo Bento - New KNT Manager Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Seol Korea, Dec 5, 2022.

1. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    The KFA denied the rumors, stated that he's not even on the list or held talks over the phone.

2. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
  3. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
  4. Testator

Testator Member+

Glasgow Celtic
    Croatia
    Sep 5, 2017
    Croatian coast
  5. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Gotta lay off the media regarding the hiring process for the time being. It's quite obvious that no top names will be coming to Korea with open arms (As was always the case), but given the Korean media putting out biased pro domestic rhetoric or panic inducing articles like the one you've posted doesn't help the situation either.

Mid February is right around the corner, but until then we just have to trust Muller to do the job correctly as did his predecessor Kim Pan-gon. I'd be really happy if we nab Petkovic or van Bronckhorst, but if Fink is the best we can do, then we just have to roll with it until something happens within the next year or two. Also, I think it's safe to put the Halilhodzic rumors to rest considering it's nothing but rumors, and the KFA were aware of his issues with several teams/FA given how they switched stance after 2018.

Testator repped this.
  6. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    No reason for good successful managers to do that. Managers who need to redeem themselves are the ones who might want to do that.. like Bento.

Bluewings21 repped this.
  7. Testator

Testator Member+

Glasgow Celtic
    Croatia
    Sep 5, 2017
    Croatian coast
    But those whom you say are successful are considered elite. Even good managers have had failures. Petković is a good manager, and is certainly attainable.

8. k_c_n_y_t

k_c_n_y_t Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    South Korea
    Nov 23, 2018
    Did anyone watch Ajax play this season? I know Ajax’s manager Alfred Schreuder got sacked. But considering that he got fired because of the draws they accumulated Ajax only lost twice. They scored the most goals and have the best goal differential despite being 4th. Because of Cruyff and his ideology, Ajax always played good attacking football and I’m assuming under Schreuder it most of been the same. But if anyone watched Ajax please tell me how they played.

9. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Jesse Marsch is out of a job

10. 12th Player

12th Player Member+

Nov 3, 2009
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    We should try to get Marsch before US Soccer gets its act together and makes a concerted effort to sign a manager.

11. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Marsch will likely head back home to take over the usmnt, we should aim to press for Petkovic instead. Not saying I'm against Marsch, it's just that I prefer Petkovic to be the top choice imo.

Testator and 12th Player repped this.
  12. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    Didnt they initially say they will finalize by mid Feb? lol

13. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Mid February is next week, so we should be hearing something by then, otherwise towards the end of February so just be patient.

Muller has done a fine job at keeping things tight lipped thus far, and seeing how the media is going insane over not having any info is the most hilarious bit.

Testator and nmssis repped this.
  14. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  15. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
  16. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    Imagine we get a domestic manager lol

17. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Testator repped this.
  18. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    We'll get a foreign manager, just not sure if it'll be to everyone's liking, could be more or less on the lines of Bento.

19. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  20. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    wut you think aboot this dude?

21. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    He has only 2-3 years of exp as a manager..

22. Testator

Testator Member+

Glasgow Celtic
    Croatia
    Sep 5, 2017
    Croatian coast
    I don't like the fact who he's been an assistant of. Spain are rigidly possession-oriented, and Enrique or his staff did nothing to change that.

23. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    #273 Seol Korea, Feb 11, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2023
    Well, his career as an assistant manager is far more impressive than his stint at Monaco and Granada, especially given the fact that he's spent roughly 9 years under Enrique's wings. The only exception to his managerial career is his brief stint as Spain's caretaker/interim manager, guiding the team on an unbeaten run at the Euro 2020 qualifiers.

Judging from the rumors, my guess is that Muller is taking the Scaloni approach, seeking a young manager who has experience particularly with youth and senior teams at both club and national team level. Professionalism, motivation, teamwork, experience, and the ability to reside in Korea were the things Muller stated he is looking for, and from the words of Enrique as well as former teams have stated Moreno has just that.

Also, while a manager like Bordalas will always have doors open for big club team opportunities even with failures with previous club teams, Moreno does not and in fact he has to do just as much if not more than Bento to warrant a return to the big leagues, so things like wage and residency shouldn't be an issue for either sides (Moreno and KFA).

Listen, I still hope that we can at least nab Petkovic, but most often than not things never go your way especially when you're to consider the KFA lol, so you have to accept the reality for what it is until something changes within the course of the future. I am not that big on possession football/tiki-taka but I am keen on the type of system he will be bringing if he does end up being our manager. His preferred formation is the 4-4-2 double 6 much like Marcelino, with the occasional 3-4-3, and given his garnering and sharing of knowledge between him and Enrique, I'm sure he'll also try to utilize the 4-3-3, so I don't think guys like Lee Kang-in and Paik Seung-ho will have any issues adjusting to his system since both have experience with Spanish football.

nmssis repped this.
  24. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Well, the least he has "some" experience as the manager.

25. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    Not good enough even for us