Post on the rocks........6/14

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by jmsdoc, Jun 14, 2003.

1. jmsdoc

jmsdoc Member

Jun 25, 2000
    The Valley
  2. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I can understand the rationale for starting Hristo (ie: get off to a quick start)--not that I necessarily agree with it. But doesn't this sound just a little bit schizophrenic? One day, the word is: Stoichkov will be asked to give up his roster spot if we sign another forward. The next--but in the meantime, he'll start ahead of Eskandarian or Curtis.

3. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Omigod, Bobby G almost sounds contrite. Somebody call CDC, something must be wrong in the drinking water down there.

BTW, starting Hristo is a sound idea -- he's the most powerful forward we've got. Uh, let me consult my other self. ;) Yup, both of us agree. In fact, We'll bet he goes 90 tonight and watching Hristo vs Marco show should be interesting too. We feel better about our chances.

Good luck, boyz. Keep working hard.

GM

4. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    The one good thing in there was that Tino could play 10-15 minutes tonight if needed. Which means he could be starting again in the next 2 weeks. I say get him in there ASAP to get the rust off, so when Bobby comes back we can put them out there together and watch good things develop.

5. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    The field better be in good shape tonight. If it storms bad enough to halt play, I don't want Tamlin "Wide Right" 19 to have any excuses for not putting the ball in the net. ;)

6. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Makes me think of last year's Gazza circus- not to mention the Daglish sideshow- a big distraction to the team. I do think we will sign a player this year but who? Cureton? How many other forwards will be given a trial? How long will this last?

7. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    This is different from has-been legends like Gazza or never-weres like Dalglish. Cureton can really play and isn't 100 years old...

8. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I agree with Grill, who knows when the storms will start and how difficult it will be to score by the end of the game. Our statistics show that we have a huge advantage if we score first. So, lets put our big guns (and Hristo is our most dangerous forward) on at the outset.

If we score first, there will be more room for Ali Curtis to exploit when he comes on for Hristo. Also, they will be tired and probably slipping in the mud when Curtis comes in. He can use his speed and scrappiness to take advantage of that. Plus, you can start Esky with Hristo, and those two seem to be developing a little bit of chemistry.

This means Ali Curtis will play probably 40-70 minutes and finish the game. That's a good days work for him. Esky will likely start and play 70 minutes, which is probably plenty. Santino gets on for 20 minutes, or if not, maybe Devin Barclay and his speed will come on for that time. Given our circumstances and the weather, it's not a bad rotation. Either way, we can bring 6'3 David Stokes on at the end as either an extra defender or as a center forward for set pieces. ;) It probably will not happen, but it wouldn't be such a bad idea.

-Digital

9. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    I'm suprised there aren't 50 posts about the rocks so far.

"It wasn't so bad except for the broken glass."

EDIT: I was unable to find any pictures of the old Saturday Night Live skit with Dan Akroyd as the Toy Company Executive with the "Bag o' Glass"

10. rwhgeek

rwhgeek Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bad field last week = 3 pts. 2 goals
    Worst field this week = 3 pts. 3 goals

Viva la rocks and broken glass.

11. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I'm seriously thinking of staying home and watching this one on tv. The weather sucks.

12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Ahem. And exactly what am I paying you for?

13. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    It ain't on TV, at least CSN.

14. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    :)

I demand a pay raise!!! Double my salary effective immediately, or I quit!

15. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    FSW

16. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    And Shootout.

17. ROAVA

ROAVA New Member

Nov 9, 2000
    fsw :)

18. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Keep making demands, and I'll cut it in half.