Post-match: Post Mortem USA- EL Salvador

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Real Corona, Mar 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    If there's one thing on this board that really pisses me off, it's people who assume that you represent the opposition, and then re-characterize and oversimplify what you'd said so they can mow it down. And in so doing they almost always oversimplify their own point into nonsense.

Yes, the most important thing a forward can do is contribute goals. However, if you're going to go to ridiculous extremes and say that the ONLY thing that matters is finishing, such that the better finisher is ALWAYS the better forward, period, then I'm going to say that you are plainly wrong.

A player who does nothing but score (neither creating any of their own chances or participating in the build up or--gasp!--providing any defensive pressure on the backs when needed) is often a luxury. Unless the rest of your team is really awesome or you really score an awful lot and have a team that can get him a lot of service in dangerous places.

But I didn't say that Boyd's ONLY a guy who can score. And Agudelo's not a guy who sucks at finishing and is awesome in every other area. This is just too binary a starting point for any sort of discussion.

And nowadays, you realize that there are other factors besides shot-stopping that 'Keepers are rated on, right? I mean Valdes is not considered one of the world's most elite shot-stoppers, and yet he's a rock at Barcelona largely because he might be the world's best distributor from the GK position. Such is true of forwards as well...

A few weeks ago there was an article about how Dempsey puts a lot of shots off target and isn't therefore all that clinical a finisher. What that article failed to mention however is how many chances he tends to find for club and country, and how he often creates his own chance (and how he often aggressively pursues the half-chance or even quarter-chance...even when he sometimes might be better advised not to). Pure finishing isn't everything. It's only one important thing.

Mind you, I didn't even say I think Boyd isn't as good as Agudelo. I said in limited looks I'd say Boyd's looks a better finisher, and Agudelo looks better in every other facet. Period, nothing more or less.

2 people repped this.
  2. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Relax I wasn't trying to be a smart ass at all.

3. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back on point...

You know what I'm really upset about? No one asked Porter the tough questions.

That is an epic failure by the U.S. Soccer media.

Why didn't anyone ask him about burning out his starters? The backline? The GK's? Game management? Substitutions? Tactics? Etc. Where are the quotes where he explains his decisions?

The media needs to grow a set and do some actual reporting.

4. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Ok, fair enough.

5. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our best forward in "this group" is Altidore, no? Developed here, as well.

6. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    I think so. I've been wondering what our best line-up for this group would look like if absolutely everyone were 100% healthy and available. My suspicion is that it wouldn't include too many players who were on the field against El Salvador.

7. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll bite on this

----------Altidore
    Shea-----Adu--------Gatt
    -------Diskerud-Morales
    Valentin-D.Williams-Opara-Chandler
    ---------------Hamid

Would be a reasonable guess I suppose with Porter's formation.

8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    All things considered, I only see Chandler and Jozy making some difference there. Perhaps not even enough to change the end result.

9. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I don't know if Porter would play an actual defensive midfield, or if he thought Jeffrey and Diskerud were Xavi and Ineista without Busquets needed, but Morales would make a difference. But you'd actually need to play him or someone like Okugo in that role to utilize the talent.

Gatt would be a an upgrade and Danny Williams over Kitchen might be the biggest upgrade of all of them.

10. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boyd might have something to say about that if he makes the first team at Borussia Dortmund, but as of right now yes Jozy is our best
    forward.

11. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boyd right now is probably #3 on the forward list for players born 1989 or later. If he makes the first team in Dortmund then yes, that will skyrocket his rankings. Of course, if Altidore transfers to Manchester United or Agudelo to Milan that would cancel out his move.

12. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yummmmmmmm Shoulder

[​IMG]

13. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ives actually praised Porter and Wahl played off the lossas rather meaningless. They have no balls most of the time and they continued to show that.

There isn't exactly a lot of pressure on the USSF because the US soccer team isn't very popular so it's up to those reporters to ask some tough questions and they continue to feed crap and fluff.

14. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our best soccer coverage mostly comes from blogs and independent types rather than the few major sports writers who just produce fluff at record levels.

It's funny when I think of Germany where clubs are literally scared of Bild and Bayern had a sort relationship where they buy them of by giving Bild access.

15. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well said sir.

16. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish the U.S. soccer media was like the NY media too bad that will never happen.

17. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That'd be hilarious.

I can just see the NY post....

[​IMG]

18. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting this....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/greg_lalas/09/28/u20.us/index.html

Rinse, repeat

19. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Ives' twitter, Alexander Larin has been suspended for the next 3 games.

Good. Glad this was reviewed.

20. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its too little too late, but its something. I assume he's also out for any full national team games? or is this just olympics if ES makes it?

21. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's the next three games for his country regardless (can't find the release):

Avi Creditor@AviCreditor Per CONCACAF release, El Salvador U-23 left back Alexander Larin suspended 3 games, presumably for having a bit too much bite against the US

22. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or was it for the punch to the face? Or all of the above. Should clearly have been suspended after the Canada biting...
    Such is CONCACAF.

23. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fairly certain it would be the punch in the face.

24. izha

izha Member

May 24, 2002
    Why exactly Danny Cruz wasn't even in a consideration for this team? With Jeffrey and Bunburry against Canada that was the softest bunch of players imaginable.

25. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because he wasn't competing with Jeffrey or Bunbury. Although how much of a look Porter gave him is questionable considering he never got a look.