Post-match: Post Mortem 2021 Olympic team

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by EXALIFTIN, Mar 28, 2021.

1. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sure glad the guys took the time to make this video rather then focus on the game. Everyone gets a zero none of these players are suitable for international play I hope this is the last time we see any of them

2. Gotberg

Gotberg Member

Nov 14, 2002
    Chicago
    Need to stop hiring MLS coaching failures.

Guinho, 50/50 Ball, Flipstar508 and 11 others repped this.
  3. no exit

no exit Member+

DC United
    United States
    Nov 20, 2019
    I don't think it's correct to pin the blame on Kreis, as inadequate as he was. The team's poor play was poor in the exact same way Berhalter's teams fail (when it does in fact fail). Fortunately for Berhalter he can get bailed out by much more talent.

superdave, nobody and LouisZ repped this.
  4. Rezelby

Rezelby Member

Aug 1, 2010
    The good news here is that Pulisic won't waste his time at an Olympics.

You can see it with the MLS retreads on commentary, on the sideline, on the field. Until we get some kind of accountability and SKILL at all levels, this is what happens. Its not how hard somebody tries, its not how fast they are, its how skilled they are. Lalas, Holden, and Edu are perfectly examples of this. Get this "try hard" mantra out of the US program. Need to get some technical class. Lots of it.

It's clear the MLS has very little of it and the players that spend too long there draw into this vortex of horrible touches, slow as molasses attacking play.

It's not fun to watch. Lets stop doing it.

Guinho, sakibomb523, neems and 4 others repped this.
  5. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can blame kries for bringing a bunch of d mids rather then players like Williamson and parks , and taking Ferreira who has done jack shit for Dallas over players like Ebobbisse or Pepi, you can also blame him for leaving Tessman on the bench he did more in his 10 minutes then some players did in three games

Guinho, 50/50 Ball, Flipstar508 and 6 others repped this.
  6. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol, but we only lost mexico 1-0

7. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    U.S. Soccer choked - again. Because it's what they do.

ChicagoVT repped this.
  8. no exit

no exit Member+

DC United
    United States
    Nov 20, 2019
    I can totally do that. But the more important question is: why was Kreis hired and why did he fail in the exact same ways as Berhalter? Duh, because Stewart/Berhalter decided on a top-down approach that was pretty ill-conceived.

gunnerfan7 and profeacutec repped this.
  9. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    a) I realize the US had a lot of key players who were not a part of this squad, so now it begs the question among those in charge of the program whether or not featuring in the Olympics matters enough to make sure the best players possible get into the Olympic qualifiers. I'd like to think the US is hungry enough to say they want to get into these tournaments, so if that's the case get more of the better players involved.

b) That being said, the US players that were there today absolutely need to show more hustle and urgency. The US is supposed to have a deeper pool of talent than before and that may reveal itself within a generation, but for now the US still needs to treat beating CONCACAF teams like they're facing Germany in a cup final. They need to fight harder than this.

Gutted.

Guinho, ChicagoVT, neems and 4 others repped this.
  10. USSoccerNova

USSoccerNova Member+

Sep 28, 2005
    Another lost opportunity but not surprising. Two thoughts:

- Berhalter-ball often results in this sort of purposeless possession that doesn't actually result in scoring chances which is what really matters. It's a stubborn and naive way to play especially given the limitations of this particular squad.

- It would have been nice to qualify (and it was important), but this is not a referendum on the massive strides we have made in youth development. It simply means that our pre-season form D team can't beat Honduras while having to overcome some questionable coaching decisions. We'll crush them at the senior level as will future iterations of our u23 D teams. The future is bright!

11. no exit

no exit Member+

DC United
    United States
    Nov 20, 2019
    Purposeless possession would've been an improvement -- plenty of bad giveaways, even excepting the second Honduras goal.

12. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    This absolutely sucks, but there definitely has to be some nuance here. The number of top U-23 players that are simply not available for this tournament for the US has exploded to an unbelievable extent, simply due to the success of American players in transferring to Europe in the last 2-3 years.

The 2008 team had to attempt qualification without Bradley and with Spector for only 1 match. The 2012 team failed and had a few full national team U-23s who were unavailable (Altidore, Brooks, and Chandler).

It's easy to make a list of 15 U-23 players who were not available for this tournament.

sakibomb523, kba4life1, neems and 2 others repped this.
  13. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Playing a possession style team from youth to senior teams, we have to get better coaching for these keepers. The passing from Steffen has been horrible, not much to see if it's improved a ton, but Ochoa was awful. Sean Johnson is awful. Bill Hamid is bad. At what point do you just say we don't have that guy and tell them to blast it to the one of the umpteenth dmids Kries called up.

I get it, some euro teams wouldn't release players fine. But for MLS clubs to say no?

I wasn't a fan of the Kries hire, he didn't perform well at this tournament and he definitely shouldn't continue on.

Tessman played with energy and urgency its why he stood out, maybe Herrera and Yueill at times as well, but that's about it. They looked tired and uninterested for far too long. Horrible failure that Earnie needs to address quickly, as this was stated to be a big priority and it was a colossal failure. Gotta be better.

14. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    Going to miss the 00-97s. It sucks that we lost but it’s really not an indictment of the team this time, unlike last time. I know we’re a bunch of knuckleheads but let’s not try to lose our minds too much on this one. Jason Kries did a bad job and our best players weren’t available, everyone breathe.

15. Rezelby

Rezelby Member

Aug 1, 2010
    Oh stop with this.

Lewis hustled the whole game. He tried hard for the 85 minutes he was in the game. He just sucks and isn't good enough. Not enough technical ability at all. Not good enough for this level.

Give me 5 Berbatovs (who was always accused of not trying hard) versus the Lewis types who "run their socks off".

Get this mantra out of US soccer.

Lance90, lmorin and ChicagoVT repped this.
  16. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The results show how inept MLS players and coaches can be.
    It didn't help Aaronson, Reynolds and Dike made a move BEFORE the Olys qualifiers.
    This proves Mexico has a stronger domestic league with better coaching.
    We try to play a heavy possession game but we were toothless in the attack.

Flipstar508, ChicagoVT and profeacutec repped this.
  17. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, It was Kreis's fault he didn't call in Pulisic, McKennie, Adams, Dest, Sargent, Weah, Richards, Robinson, Cannon, Reynolds, Aaronson etc.

Marko72 repped this.
  18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    1. Kreis needs to be fired. You don't meet the minimum expectation, you get fired. There needs to be accountability in our program. Simple as that.

2. The players absolutely come out of this with a hit to their stock. Club form matters more, but this has to matter for those that didn't show well. Ochoa, Herrera, Vines, Perea, Johnny, Ferreira, Soto, Saucedo, Lewis, Michel, Tessmann. It's a long list. I'm sure there are players you could name that I forgot.

3. The players also lost a chance to get an international tournament shop window. Most of these players wouldn't have made up the group who would've played at the Olympics, so they more lost the chance for the better players than them who lost that shop window, which makes it worse, but there's going to be players who would've gotten interest from better club teams from the Olympics and maybe a transfer that lost that opportunity to advance their career.

4. Don't freak out. Take 20 minutes to review the best U-24 players in the region. You'll see we've created a gap from the other countries in the region. These tournaments are fluky. The program has improved a lot in the last 5 years.

19. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Poor player selection, poor coaching and poor play. The roster was poorly constructed. Players struggled to complete simple touches let alone simple passes.

I get the roster choices were limited but I came away thinking again that a coach just didn't understand or know his pool

Guinho, neems and profeacutec repped this.
  20. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we schedule a game with their 40-60 best U23 players while bring our actual best that weren't released? Including Cannon, Aaronson, Reynolds and Dike who were just in our inferior league but somehow finagled good Euro teams to buy them while for some reason those superior Mexican talents are ignored? Must be a conspiracy against Mexico's players.

slacker and USSoccerNova repped this.
  21. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    We have to adjust our expectations to the fact that our key prospects will not make it to Olympic Qualifiers. Any advancement in this tournament will be solely due to the fact that our development has gotten so good that our league is over flowing with players. That is to say at the level of a major international power. That is something that we need to push for as a federation and also something that would make us a major international power.

For the moment this is a great generation but it is not yet all we need. There is still a next step. Given that, loss is good because it stings and it pushes you to new heights.

22. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Just like a night a few years ago at T&T when the World Cup trip went bye bye.... Poor coaching + poor skills = watch the Olympics from home with a good beer (or several) and your dog curled up on the couch with you. Now there is no stress and the better players no longer have to stress about if their clubs will release them for the Olympics.

What I saw at this tournament was a bunch of kids with better skills lead to their doom by poor coaching and poor leadership. I expect no less from the full senior side. If there is pressure then the players and the coaches will choke so they can go back to playing for their clubs where, if nothing else, they will get better coaching.

There is a reason why our team at all ages is the joke of CONCACAF we can now only win when it matters very little. The rest of CONCACAF knows they can depend on the US to chock and fail and therefore be a non-factor when a match actually means something.

I wonder if they have little meetings where they decide exactly how they will work together to help the other team win so they can go home and spend more time with their friends and family.

After all it is only a game. Isn't it?

Maybe, after the senior side also fails, we will actually see the US choose leadership and coaches that can turn this group of failures into a team that can win when it matters from time to time.

Guinho repped this.
  23. GoBigBlue88

GoBigBlue88 Member+

Feb 11, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Using this tournament of USMNT pool D options as a referendum on the senior team is just LOL, for anyone in this thread doing this. When Yuell and Djorde are your feature attractions ... your team is gonna suck.

Just hope it puts to bed the Djorde > senior team talk that nonsensically existed these last few years.

deejay, ussoccer97531 and SteelyTom repped this.
  24. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    Not gonna be one of those people who says who cares about the olympics. I love the Olympics and this ********ing sucks. Upgrade the coaching pool now.

25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I find the tactical or personnel decision complaints after a game like this to miss the mark to such a wide degree.

If you think you are good, you act good. You don't play the what-if game. Brazil, France, Spain, Germany don't blame the small decisions for their failure. They take responsibility that it wasn't good enough, and they hold those who participated accountable, while making changes to ensure it won't happen again.

We were playing with a team that statistically is probably has more value than Honduras senior team. There's no reason we shouldn't be beating them. It's not because Ebobisse wasn't picked or because Kreis should've started Araujo over Herrera or how the federation emphasizes goal-keepers who don't have an ability to play out of the back playing out of the back. It's way simpler than that. There's no reason they should've lost this game. This group failed.

Saying of all of that, I'm not suggesting there aren't gripes to go around. That can't be the larger discussion out of this though.