Post-Modern Galacticos: The Transfer Thread.

Discussion in 'Manchester City' started by MVF, Jun 2, 2009.

1. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    New transfer window, new thread.

Hughes has been rumored to have been given a $250M transfer budget, but he's not going to be held for ransom IMO.

In's:

Aguero - $40M
    Tevez - $30M
    Veloso - $20M
    Chiellini - $20M

Those would be my targets. A two-way midfielder wouldn't go astray. Maybe Javi Martinez or Claudio Marchisio.

2. Slater582

Slater582 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Shrewsbury, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Gareth Barry [​IMG]

3. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    As long as he fits in our system, Barry will be a great buy. Strong, confident, talented player who is proven at this level, has guided Aston Villa on the field, and has captained England. He'd a good replacement for Elano - not the best midfielder in the world, but one proven at this level and who will get on with it unlike the mercenary Brazilians. He could be a good replacement captain for Dunne too.

4. Golasso

Golasso New Member

May 6, 2003
    Somewhere in Texas
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Elano is definitely gone now methinks... Maybe Ireland plays in the hole behind the striker with Barry in the middle, De Jong holding, SWP right and Robinho left -- Kompany moves to centre-half with Ned, Bridge and Zab as the fullbacks... Very interesting.

5. MLSn00b

MLSn00b Member

Apr 3, 2008
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I'd be very happy if we capture Barry, for reasons already mentioned.

6. Manchester City

Jun 17, 2007
    Zaragosa, Spain
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I agree, though I think Richards will go back to the right, where I think he is best, anyway. Wouldn't mind putting in a bid for Albiol to shore up the center. Valencia may not be willing to give him up, though.

Here's my dream:

------------------------- Tevez ---------------
    ------------ Bojinov/Bellamy -------------------
    Robinho ---------------------------------- SWP
    ------------------- Ireland --------------------
    ------------------ De Jong --------------------
    Zab ----- Kompany -------- Albiol ----- Richards

I am trying to decide where Barry would really fit in to Hughes past tactics... seems a little strange, other than the fact that he is a no nonsense workhorse.

7. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Manchester City

Jun 17, 2007
    Zaragosa, Spain
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    According to City's website Garreth Barry has penned the deal for 12 million. Again, our formation has to change with his signature and other coming... unless, of course, other players we are not considering are being sold off in the summer. We shall see.

9. Golasso

Golasso New Member

May 6, 2003
    Somewhere in Texas
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are probably right about Richards returning to right back -- he has all the physical gifts but loses focus alot. Wonder how Zab would feel about being on the bench -- Bridge is being paid waaayyyy too much not to start at LB.

There are definitely some sales that we have not thought about that are going to happen. Since my last post, I have been thinking about Petrov -- he may be sold along with Elano. Really cannot wait to see about Jo - started off with Everton with a bang but definitely ended with a whimper. If a big striker gets signed (6' 2" or taller), then we will have our answer.

10. Manchester City

Jun 17, 2007
    Zaragosa, Spain
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Petrov is getting older, as well, and after the injury may have his best days behind him. I imagine Caicedo and Etuhu may be shipped out as well. Bojinov is a bit more difficult to predict--he has so much potential and has flashes of brillance when given his chances. But, he has been more a liability to the club these last two years and Hughes and the Board may believe they can get a better value elsewhere. Schmeichel and/or Hart may be off, along with Ben Haim, Dunne, Ball, Mills, Hamann, Benjani, and Vassell.

Come to think of it, may be easier just to count the bricks that are left. My list of definites stays:

Given
    Bridge
    Richards
    Onouha
    De Jong
    Kompany
    Ireland
    Barry (that was strange to type)
    SWP
    Robinho (though I feel like I may be wrong here)
    Bellamy

That's just enough to field an actual side with position discpline and a decent chance of success. What do you lads say?

11. berloha

berloha Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Club:
    TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
    Zé Roberto ( leaving Bayern) in his farewell interview saying that Manchester City is interested to sign him, as City wants to achieve an international spot next season..'and want me to help the club'. Decision next days:

http://www.tz-online.de/sport/fussball/fc-bayern/tz-ze-roberto-verlaesst-den-fc-bayern-332271.html

12. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Well Ze Roberto also said he wanted to come to MLS.... ;)

As for Barry - a good signing. We now have a player with experience in the league and the value appears to be the same as what others would pay for him so we didnt overpay. I think he will be a great fit. I'll prob buy his # for next years kit :)

13. B Rock

B Rock Member

Oct 7, 2004
    To me, it has to be 4-4-2 at this point:

----------------------Striker-----------
    ---------Robinho-----------------------
    --Barry--------Ireland-----------SWP--
    ---------------De Jong-----------------
    Bridge----Kompany-----TBD------Richards
    -------------Given----------------------

I think Barry was absolutley required to help with the midfield battles. You can't play a 4-4-2 with Robinho and SWP as your wingers and expect to control much of anything in the Premiership. Also you'd see Bridge much more aggressive getting forward in the above formation as Barry would look to pinch in with SWP and Bridge would provide the width; almost transforming to a 3-5-2 in the attacking zone.

Bellamy would be the presumptive starter at striker but you'd hope for (and expect given Hughes' war chest) an upgrade so that he could rotate in either of the top two positions. Personally, I think Villa is a MUCH better fit then Tevez. I just can't see Tevez and Robinho in the same team given the tendancy for Tevez to check back to midfield. City needs someone to lead the line not another withdrawn striker.

14. Manchester City

Jun 17, 2007
    Zaragosa, Spain
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well, my dream line-up was prior to the Barry signing. And Robinho and SWP did play, functionally, as our wingers for most of last season. SWP was dominant in nearly every match he participated in and Robinho's drop in form was not a product of his position but his mindest and work rate. Robbie scored most of his goals from a winger-like position as well.

And I just can't see Barry playing as winger, unless you mean a tight LM-CM-RM midfield. Watch his matches at AV, he is not striding midfielder, he is a maestro. I also feel that Bridge was found wanting, so I am not convinced he will be the starting leftback. His crossing--as many Chelsea supporters warned as at the time of his signing--is not quite as good as we would hope.

Also, how many matches have you seen where Tevez played? I ask, because of the many, many I have seen this season, I think I can recall Tevez checking back to midfield perhaps two or three times. He is a frantic dribbler and his instinct is nearly always to take on the man nearest to him or give-and-go with an onrushing attacker. I think, of all the labels that could be given to Tevez, it would not be "withdrawn striker."

I agree with your other selections, though.

But with the Barry transfer, I think my, yours, and everyone's line-up is very premature now. Hughes has plans. And none of us even remotely understand them yet I am willing to wager.

15. MLSn00b

MLSn00b Member

Apr 3, 2008
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well as long as he builds a line up of hard working players that have a desire to win I think everything will be fine. Barry is that kinda of guy and having him patrolling our midfield will be great.

16. Manchester City

Jun 17, 2007
    Zaragosa, Spain
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Here, here.

Good to be back on the forums talking to fine lads.

17. Golasso

Golasso New Member

May 6, 2003
    Somewhere in Texas
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

18. Manchester City

Jun 17, 2007
    Zaragosa, Spain
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

19. MLSn00b

MLSn00b Member

Apr 3, 2008
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Hughes would keep Zabaleta being that he was one of Hughes' buys in the past season and had a number of good performances. And his ability to play both on defense and midfield copetently is a plus.

20. phillymancity

phillymancity New Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Kennett Square,PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gareth Barry, I'll take him! I wonder if were out of the tevez sweepstakes now.. Great signing. Villa fans are very upset..

21. juanca

juanca New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Exactly. He's a top pro who can bring some order and PL experience to the City midfield, freeing up the more creative ireland. Great signing IMO

Thats what i think will happen, but it all depends on who else comes in.

x3

22. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Yes, the fans are upset. However, let's look at it from Barry's perspective. Yes, he is going from Europa to no European competitions at all, but it might not be a bad thing as World Cup is next year and he might not want to burn himself out before then, so not playing as many games might do him a favor.

Sure, the extra 40,000 pound a week (from 60k/week to 100k/week) was a decision factor, but let's be honest, it wasn't like Aston Villa was destined to win the Europa anyways. I'm sure with Barry, AV would have gone to at least the round of 16 or better, but the club would need to sign at least another 2 good players before it can think about winning the entire thing. By the round of 8, you're playing some very tough teams.

Barry's probably thinkg about City's deep pockets to sign big names and challenge the big four, and who can blame him for wanting to be a part of that? If he decided to go to Liverpool or any of the big four clubs, he'll be on the bench half the time because there's just too many great players on those teams. On the City squad, he's a regular. No one will remember Barry on the big four because there's just too many names overshadowing him. On City, he will be looked up to.

Can I say he is all about greed? Absolutely not. Can I say money was a factor? For sure. However, let's not fool ourselves here, he wants to win and he wants to do it with a club that has a bright future.

23. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Absolutely CFF.

It's definately about more than the money, even if that is a factor.

BTW, theres rumours on other forums i visit from reliable posters who have said Tevez is a 99% done deal. Samuel Eto-o is also rumoured for $20M+

How good would a strikeforce be of ..

- Eto-o -
    - Robinho - Tevez -​

Also, i think Elano's pretty much gone. Whinged for the last time. Albiet, we hve an even better opportunity to replace him, Wesley Sniejder (sp?) has become avaliable (apparently) from Real Madrid. He is the kind of player Elano could be if he performed to his best every single match. Wonderful player, please make it happen Hughes :D

24. MLSn00b

MLSn00b Member

Apr 3, 2008
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. calix

calix New Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Club:
    Alianza Lima
    Is there any truth in that article?