Post Match: Whitecaps vs Colorado (July 4)

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by dehun, Jul 5, 2012.

1. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I found this one about as exciting as watching paint dry. That said, I'm fine with that, given all the circumstances of this game. This was the kind of game the WC would find a way to lose last year, through a combination of poor tactics, lack of preparation/fitness, lack of discipline, and lack of personnel. What a difference, as this year's team seems to have found a clinical poacher (Mattocks), and were able to stay focused and disciplined to grit out the win against a team they needed to beat to stay in the playoff hunt.

2. ixadvent

ixadvent Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Club:
    Whitecaps
    Colorado had many many chances, but then again, they gave up the ball far too easily and all their attempts were predictable when the Caps sunk in and soak up all the pressure. Our passing and possession quality wasn't any better than them tonight, but Colorado made a crucial mistake which led to the Mattocks goal.

On that note, I want to know what was Hassli doing putting his arms up?

1. waiting for mattocks to pass him the ball for a finish
    or
    2. be the first to celebrate

All these Hassli trade talk is really being fired up. I often find it in a dilemma where Hassli has a great personality for the team but his game performance shows nothing but a whiner on the pitch.

3. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    My thoughts:

- I think we all agree this was an ugly game. But we're on the road, on a hot day, a mile high, on America's national holiday, starting an older not-yet-game-fit player. 3 points?! Yes please.

- Someone said this on the SS board and I agree, Robson didn't quite look match fit, and he seemed to underestimate the skill level of his opponents with a couple bad giveaways. Having said that, he clearly has a ton of skill, and with more fitness, and more time adjusting to his teammates, I think Robson might vie with Mattocks for offensive MVP of the year, even with only half a season to play.

- Reffing was quite bad both ways, especially for how often Zapata rode Robson to the ground. Seriously, 3 called fouls on Zapata, all committed on one skilled player Robson, in the space of 20 minutes or so...and no yellow card for persistent infringement? Read the laws of the game, ref!

- Cannon had some great saves, Hassli held up well, Harvey played his ass off, Le Toux just doesn't look that great, Mattocks needs to stop picking up stupid cautions, Koffie played like Koffie does (what, no yellow, Gersh?).

BONUS: Did anyone else get excited about Robson's potential when they saw that rocket in the first 5 mins?

JohnnyRanger repped this.
  4. jonxx

jonxx New Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    yes I sure did get excited about Robsons shot but then he gave the ball away a few times. I'm also wondering about Hassli throwing up his arms. Whats with that? Cannon made some good saves but looked a little rough on some shots though.

5. ixadvent

ixadvent Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Club:
    Whitecaps
    Hassli remain as an enigma, his hold up play was very good, probably among the best fwd with great touches in MLS, but his size and the ref decision had made him difficult to play his game.

If he stops waiving his arms and just do his job without much complain ( let rennie and the guys do the talking) and focus on the game, he will definitely earn back his starting spot.

6. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree about Robson--I thought he looked winded too. I think it'll take him a bit to get used to the summer conditions here in North America. I know from experience that for someone coming from Scotland or Ireland, even Vancouver July and August can seem pretty hot, never mind the humidity back east and the heat down south.

I remember the ref from the first preseason tournament before the 2011 season in Tukwila where he reffed a game between the WC and Portland. Same thing there--I think he's genuinely unfamiliar with what is and isn't a foul in the FIFA rulebook. Robson's reactions to the beer-league reffing wasn't that different from Hassli's last year. By that I mean Robson was visibly angry--at the ref, and even still after he came off. And rightly so. The last tackle before coming off was easily a yellow, but it wasn't even called a foul. The poor reffing's got to be a major step backward for any European player coming from a premiere or 1st division, and it must be frustrating when it's so consistently poor here. Hopefully he adjusts better than Hassli.

One thing for sure, I think we'll have far better long range shooting, free kicks and corners with Robson around.

7. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks to me like Hassli was raising his arms 'cause he knew his teammate Mattocks was going to bury the shot. He was being a good teammate there.

It's the sign of a good team to get 3 points in a game like that. Play sound defense, wait for the other team to make a mistake, pounce on the opportunity and hold on for dear life. Not a chance the Caps win this game last year.

8. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Absolutely... Is Hassli (and I absolutely hate making a hockey reference here, but...) becoming the Caps version of Luongo? Luongo has been one of the best players on the Nucks but has become a pariah and target for fans hatred, frustration and vitriol, while still maintain a loyal base of fanboys...

Hassli was celebrating a sure goal. He woulda looked like a total C You Next Tuesday had Mattocks missed it or the keeper had spilled a rebound in Hassli's direction and he was busy sauntering with his hands up instead of crashing the net for a rebound goal attempt, but Mattocks finished it.

I honestly think Hassli can do no good for some and no wrong for some... Why can't people just judge the guy on his merits without fanaticism coming into play, clouding actual factual decisions and perceptions.

It boggles the mind.

Back to the game overall:
    - Robson looked out of his depth fitness wise. he is there skill wise, and think that he isn't used to being closed down as quickly. a lot of players in europe will find that an adjustment point to playing here where guys generally don't have the individual skills they have in Europe. In Europe you can dwell on the ball a bit more as defenders are scared of being made foolish. Once Bazza finds his lungs he'll be fine.
    - Both teams were crap in possession(sic) Too Mnay bad giveaways and some shocking marking at times from Bonjour and the two CB's of Colorado. Glad Cannon kept the one free header/sure goal out and glad Mattocks finished his chance.
    - Camilo did very little once he came on
    - Nice to see Nano get a run out again. I like that kid.