(Post-match) WCQ: Costa Rica vs USA 6/3/09

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by aguimarães, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Vamos Ticos

Vamos Ticos Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Re: (Pre-match) WCQ: Costa Rica vs USA 6/3/09

We don't have an offensive player thats 34 unless you're talking about Centeno...he is our leader in the midfield...but he isn't our best offensive player...but you're right about one thing...our fowards don't scare teams like they use to in the good ole days of Wanchope, Gomez, Medford, and Fonseca. Our defense hasn't been great...but we also haven't been able to count with our best defender Gilberto Martinez in any of the qualifiers (expect him to be there against US)...and I don't know why but Kenton seems to think Junior Diaz is a better LB than Gonzalo Segares :eek:...I think a defense of Martinez, Umana, Segares, and Myrie (or Johnson) would be much stronger. I'll give a prediction when i see which players are called up :cool:

2. mv_nelson

mv_nelson Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory

Am tipping a goal to one Carlos Hernandez, buoyed by his 3 year deal to stay in Melbourne, and repeating history in scoring against the US. Let's hope it's a cracker from 30 yards out. An assist or two while he's at it, as well, i think :p

3. catrachogol

catrachogol New Member

Mar 6, 2008

Boy... here we go again. Looking back at the past is not a good predictor of the games outcome. Based on the last two games ... I like the US chance for an upset in CR

4. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica

TRANSLATION:

I hope Costa Rica loses...but let's not mention how the Hondurans were inventing this 40-year+ BS about Costa Rica not beating Honduras in Costa Rica :rolleyes:

5. catrachogol

catrachogol New Member

Mar 6, 2008

Let's be clear .... US has the best soccer team in the region. Costa Rica has a very cohesive team chemistry . Mexico , with Aguirre will be very dangerous away team. Honduras is perhaps the most improved team in the region with ( arguable) the best talent combined. TT has the experienced WC players but lack a philosophy. ES could raise lots of eyebrows soon.

6. catrachogol

catrachogol New Member

Mar 6, 2008

hhhmmm???? No, I think you mean that there was a 40+ years that Honduras hadn't lost at Costa Rica. That was just a fact. I never brought that up because I know that you are only as good as your last game.

7. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica

Honduras is the best team in the world...no, no...the UNIVERSE! There is no one better then Honduras! They make Brazil, Argentina, Italy, and Germany look like amateurs...we should all be very scared of Honduras! I am scared that Honduras has actually improved! I am VERY scared at this very momment! SCAAREEEEEEED!!!

:rolleyes:

8. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica

First of all, I don't know what you are trying to start here. Constructive comments is one thing. Trolling is another. :rolleyes:

Second, You're way off base. Go do your homework son, and stop believing that shitty media you got in Honduras. Not counting our last game, it has been 18 years since Costa Rica hasn't beaten Honduras in Costa Rican soil, not 40. See...we beat Honduras in San Jose for the UNCAF Nations Cup in 1991.
    http://concacaf.com/viewCompetition.aspx?id=78
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UNCAF_Nations_Cup_1991
    http://www.rsssf.com/tablesg/gold-cam91.html

So ^^^ equals to =

[​IMG]

Third, it has been 14 years since Honduras hasn't beaten us in Honduran soil. Not that it really matters...personally, who cares? No one will be partying for lame statistics. Only you do.

Fourth, thanks to your ignorance, resentment, and low-level of education, you have met all the requirements to join my famous club of the ignored! Congratulations, sir! You have won a free ticket to the gethomas3 exclusive ignore list. You will find other blokes already in there and you guys can talk, amongst you fine duncical individuals, all the BS you want.

9. DCatracho17

DCatracho17 Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Chicago,USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras

Enough CR vs Honduras arguments , stick to the topic! Besides CR still needs to come to Honduras lol, Anyway I noticed in the past 2 qualifiers how USA has a tendency of Sending a B- Team or MLS rejects towards the end of the qualifiers when they pretty much are qualified. I dont know if that was the case in 2001 but in 2005 it was.

10. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras

well USA always had the luxury of qualifying before they head to Costa Rica, not this time. this time they have to send an A team. Other then Azteca, Saprissa is somewhere they try to avoid at all cost.

11. catrachogol

catrachogol New Member

Mar 6, 2008

I never brought up any stats ... you did. Read the posts well before making any comments. I truly think that was uncall for. i am one of the first ones to say that previous records don't mean a thing because as anyone that has ever played the game in any tournaments know that you are only as good as your last game.

12. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

CR has a big advantage at home. If they play on the artificial surface their speed will be a big problem for the lanky, ogreish USA central defense. USA may have found a left back in Beasley, but generally the USA does not play well there. Its been a while since the USA got even a point there, the last time they had a good shot to do so, the refs bailed out CR with a phantom PK.

CR 2 USA 0

13. Wiso

Wiso Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Phoenix
    Club:
    Club León

ja ja ja.. he said ogreish..

14. Flipstar508

Flipstar508 Member+

Sep 7, 2006
    Worcester, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't really see a big advantage for CR other than playing at home. There's alot of artificial surfaces in US, so it shouldn't be a big advantage against us. Our central defenders our big and slow, but CR will have a better chance at winning if the play on the wings. I think the chances of the US winning depend on the roster Bradley puts on the field.

15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

In 2005 we had indeed qualified and sent a team of young kids for the experience (some of whom are now a bigger part of the national team).

This should be a very close game. You have to give CR the edge because they're at home, but anything can happen.

The US has looked shaky on the road, even when they've gotten wins. For example they looked pretty bad in the 1-0 win at Guatemala and 2-2 draw versus El Salvador. But they always seem to be able to pull out some points.

16. DCatracho17

DCatracho17 Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Chicago,USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras

I also remember that in 2001, USA NT had lots of injuries and when they went to Costa Rica, they lost. In 2005 towards the end of the quaifiers the USA NT sent a bunck of rooks down to Costa Rica, and again they lost, so despite Costa Rica playing at home I wont be surprised if you USA can take this but it all depends who bradley puts in.

17. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

If the US wins then Costa rica should start making plans to head to South America at the end of the year

18. Vamos Ticos

Vamos Ticos Member

Jul 18, 2006

We might have a lot of trouble at the RB position for this match...Roy Myrie was injured last week in Belgium and will be out for at least 1 month....and Carlos Johnson has been red carded twice in 2 matches with NY Red Bulls which will most likely earn him a spot on the bench or even get him waived from the team. This leads me to think that Kenton will be calling up Harold Wallace once again since we don't have any good RB in Costa Rica unless he plans on playing Gilberto Martinez at that position (if he can stay healthy)...but i think Martinez should play as CB to add speed and strength to our defense because i don't see Freddy Fernandez being able to stop Altidore or Donovan like Martinez is capable of.

19. cheguevara04

cheguevara04 Member

Apr 19, 2005

"If the US wins then Costa rica should start making plans to head to South America at the end of the year"

I doubt that. It's becoming more and more obvious that the 4th place spot will be a toss up between Honduras and Costa Rica. While a loss to the NATS will not help the Ticos cause, it's far too bold of a statement to make that if they lose they should start packing for South America. Honduras has a history of choking in games they should win and A LOT of football still has to be played.

20. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

qft.

21. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

lo firmo ahorita ;)

if Costa Rica loses vs the U.S. at home they finish no higher than 4th :):D

22. cheguevara04

cheguevara04 Member

Apr 19, 2005

That really is an absurd comment. The more I think about it, the more I realize the it is not out of the realm of possibility to think that the Mexies might be in that 4th place spot once the chips fall where they may, with Honduras and Costa Rica in the World Cup. We can all dream right? Seriously it is not out of the realm of possibility to think that could happen, especially if Aguirre picks up where Eriksson left off.

U.S. vs Costa Rica is far from a life or death game for the Ticos. A loss would be no more then a minor bump in the road in their qualifying aspirations.

On the other hand, 8/12/09 will have a lot to say as to who might be going to South America and who will be booking their flight to South Africa. Costa Rica held serve, if Honduras fails to do so, the Ticos should start reserving flights to Cape Town.

23. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

well we would have to see Costa Rica lose at home vs the U.S. and wait how the standings are at the end of the 10 matchdays to see if it is an absurd comment

pero si quieres apostamos:D

a ver si como roncas duermes :D

24. cheguevara04

cheguevara04 Member

Apr 19, 2005

The absurd comment is to say that Costa Rica is going to South America based on the result of the game vs the United States. That is a crazy, absurd, ignorant comment to make.

25. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

entonces no apuestas:D?