Post-Match U.S. vs. ES 9/5/09 (R)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Peretz48, Sep 5, 2009.

1. snkscore

snkscore Member+

Jun 24, 2007
    La Grange, IL
    Who the hell is the idiot at USSF who decides that it would be a good idea to play a WCQ at home at altitude? Against a country who live at about 2500' themselves?

We look like we were dying out there, totally exhausted.

Maybe if we weren't playing at 4800' or whatever it is, our guys could catch their breath.

2. usaMR

usaMR Member

Feb 13, 2009
    California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Recently back from the game....
    First thoughts.
    Great to get the win. 3 points is 3 points
    Way, way to much blue in Rio Tinto. Looked like 60/40 pro US crowd, might have been as much as 70/30 but hard to tell with US fans wearing blue, black, green, whatever. Dissapointing.
    Landon rocked it all night long. Setting up plays, making runs, playing with full effort the whole time.
    We kept trying to figure out how that goal of Jozy's was dissallowed. Dempsy jumped over they guy trying to cleat him studs up. Jozy was very onside and had the defender hanging on him from behind. A very clear example of the poor officiating all game long, from both teams perspective judging from what I heard from ES fans. The center was bad, the linesmen were beyond bad.
    Timmy was great.
    It was nice hearing the US fans drown out any ES chants, and the USA chants getting stronger as the game went on.
    El Salvador needs to lay off the diving. But I guess if the ref buys it, it will continue to happen.
    Overall, great venue, good energy from the crowd.
    USSSC paid for itself with the members invite to go down on the field after the game and take pictures in goal, on the field, and on the bench. Extra bonus of Jay Demerit and Steve Cherundolo showing up for pix and autographs.

3. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, it wasn't a great outing tonight. The US did a number of things wrong. But it controlled most of the game and got three points.

There are legitimate criticisms to be made about the team's organization, about its finishing, and Bradley's coaching (Beckerman?!).

But, really, the hysterical panic and belligerence in this thread is unnecessary. In fact, some of you are making me think that you're the victims of a disinformation campaign. So here's a quote from an Aug. 2009 government press release that I think might help clear some stuff up:

4. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Uhh... no. LD gets the honor.

5. usaMR

usaMR Member

Feb 13, 2009
    California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely! LD Man O the Match

6. chipotaple

chipotaple Member

Mar 31, 2006
    CA
    Club:
    CD Chalatenango
    WOW, just wow,
    You guys are bitching and crying, but you never give El Salvador any credit?
    Learn to respect your opponent, El Salvador is very good.
    I was born in US, but felt embarrased at how many fouls US needed to keep the game.
    I am divided 50/50 usually because my parents are from ES, but geez, the US made it pretty easy for me to pick a side, if you didn't see all the fouls, then ???

7. LA Lee

LA Lee Member

Jan 20, 2002
    Los Angeles
    We have in the past. We didn't do a good job of it tonight. Bradley had a poor game and overall, the midfield we put on the field tonight is not good at closing down spaces, applying defensive pressure, and winning 50/50 balls.

My biggest problem with the game was that we lost possession too easily with poor passes and touches. We have talent but our players seem to display at times a naivety in their game and lack just a little bit of the focus, polish and individual experience of top tier teams that separates the boys from the men. We're still young and getting close but not quite there yet.

BTW, I'm not a Mike Bradley hater. In fact I think he can become a great player for the US. But I'm beginning to agree with other posters that he shouldn't be an automatic starter, playing the full 90 every game. When Jones dons the US uniform and is fit, he should be the choice to start over Bradley, paired with either Feilhaber or Holden.

Lee

8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    [​IMG]

:D

9. snkscore

snkscore Member+

Jun 24, 2007
    La Grange, IL
    Maybe talking about Davies diving all over the place?

10. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THIS.

Throughout the game, I asked myself if the refs didn't have it out for us (especially considering the ridiculous disallowed goal)--but the fact that we got no yellows tonight makes me think the refs were TRYING to call an even game. They failed at it, to be sure, but there was nothing nefarious going on. Just incompetence.

11. MikeR

MikeR Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Indiana
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wondered whether Bornstein knew what position he was playing. El Salvador had acres of space on the right, as Bornstein seemed to push up and in leaving our left wide open.

12. MikeR

MikeR Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Indiana
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man has a point. El Salvador aren't a bad team at all.

13. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They have improved quite a bit in this cycle. I think I saw they've gone up in the FIFA rankings by 50 places or something, I guess too many of us are stuck in the past when El Salvador was a team of very small players and just our height alone was just about enough to beat them.

14. smokey

smokey Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Cali
    Bob Bradley has me seriously missing the days of Bruce Arena. Bruce always had us organized in the back and very difficult to break down. We could finish off a game with a goal lead with out having a heart attack. I believe Bruce would be doing a much better job with this talent. We did not have defenders clearing balls into our own goal area!!

15. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    They're good at taking their few chances and they're good at being pesky and winding the other team up. For a possession team that plays a possession game, they create very few chances. Not a particularly good team. But real pests to have to play; the type of team that can take a good team and force them to play down to their level for most of the match.

16. snkscore

snkscore Member+

Jun 24, 2007
    La Grange, IL
    ES isn't a strong team. Alverez has 0 chance of getting called into a B-team US camp, and he's an immediate ES starter. We should win against them home or away. They played with a lot of heart and fight today, so I'm not avoiding giving them credit for playing tough, but really the US should have had it much easier if they were playing like we expect.

I'd be surprised if there was much difference in fouls between the 2 teams. Seemed pretty even, I can't find any stats. I don't remember any cynical fouls from the US though.

The officiating tonight was just horrible. IIRC the only yellow came from a ES player throwing the ball after the ref gave the wrong decision on a throw in, which happened frequently. They cost us a goal, and I don't think anyone knows why they stopped play. There was 1 or 2 handballs (not in the box) that were so crazy obvious it's insane that they were not called. The US had a breakaway stopped because of offsides flag 40 yards behind the play. Late in the game Jozy outran their left back to the ball, then got tripped from behind, and the linesman called a foul on Jozy.

These guys were terrible, and not just against the US, but the 1 giant decision cost us a goal.

17. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You and the ref both need to realize this is not U10s, the foul should not always get called on the larger player....

18. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen. El Salvador, or any team in the final Hex, aren't bottom feeders, they earned their right to be here, just like we did. These are the top 6 teams in the region, and all the nut jobs on here predicting 5-1 and this nonsense never cease to amaze me. I guess stupidity is resistant to almost everything.

Still, we could have easily had more if not for Dempsey's wastefulness, and our teammates getting in each others way a couple times. Davies ball cleared off the line, Torres' header, and the horrid call to deny the third goal.

In many ways, a squeaker (ES took the lead, and had a decent chance to tie the game at two). In others, it could have been a blowout.

For me:

Best US players: Donovan, Davies.
    Good: Bocanegra, Marshall, Feilhaber, Altidore + Holden (limited time)
    Average: Spector, Dempsey + Torres (limited time)
    Poor: Bradley, Howard.
    Dreadful: Bornstein, Beckerman

19. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    Umm...

Did you watch the World Cup?

20. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    And El Salvador wasn't hacking, taking cheap shots, and generally playing a gamesmanship game? The Salvadorans were constantly pulling the old "push they big guy, get shoved back, fall and get the call" trick. After taking the lead, the keeper was "injured" again, just as down in San Salvador... but only until we took the lead.

21. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey is the USA's version of Dimitar Berbatov. :D

22. snkscore

snkscore Member+

Jun 24, 2007
    La Grange, IL
    Alverez walked into their starting 11.

He can't even be the ball boy for our *gold cup* team.

Come on now...

23. snkscore

snkscore Member+

Jun 24, 2007
    La Grange, IL
    lol

24. The Brando

The Brando Member

Dec 10, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    In case anyone was wondering about Chuck D.....his injury is supposedly a calf contusion"that doesn't seem to be serious." So we have that, at least.

25. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Try being in Argentina tonight. You think you have it bad? shieeeeeeeeeeet