Post-Match U.S. vs. ES 9/5/09 (R)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Peretz48, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I'm not happy.

2. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no one should be, that was a pile o crap.

Bornstein. Wow. Just......wow.

3. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great substitutions from Bradley, it was the players who didn't come through on the night. We gave the ball away way too easily in our own half. That, along with some piss poor officiating made for a poor second half. :mad: Oh well, 3 points, job done. On to Trinidad.

4. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    What was that call on Jozy? Offside? No freakin' way. Or was it a "foul"?

5. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    quick observations

weakest link - Bornstein
    waste of a sub - Beckerman
    Spector disappointintment for me tonight
    wrong sub - Altidore ( should have been Dempsey)
    our defence - graded D+
    Donovan - best player we have, wish we had 4 more like him
    ref - called back that goal for a panthom fault otherwise they were C+
    passing/possesion - tough to swallow D-
    overlall performance of our team C-

6. Slim Pickins

Slim Pickins Member

Jun 24, 2000
    Portland, Oregon
    Right, what a brilliant idea to have NO FORWARDS on the field for the last ten minutes, while we're trying to hold the ball.

7. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We finished poorly. But otherwise it was, on balance, acceptable. And we got three points. Relax, my friends.

8. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a "foul" on Dempsey..who had released the ball before the other player made any contact with him.

9. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we please learn basic clearing of the box? I'm sick of our defenders "clearing" the ball to someone on the other team who's standing at the corner of the box.

10. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Donovan/Dempsey?

11. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am I the only one that thought that Dempsey played atrociously? Lucky goal and should have had about 4 more. Horrible.

Bornstein is a joke.

Bradley brought Beckerman in to cater to the hometown fans, what a joke that was.

Altidore-Davies looked dangerous all night.

Donovan was great.

Bradley was bad plain and simple.

Spector is so dangerous with his crosses.

12. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    It is incredible that you guys are so disappointed with 3 points. Don't be naive, this was never going to be an easy game. We held possession pretty well and should have won 3-1 save for a blown call. 3-1 and you guys wouldn't even be talking about the "players not coming through" how ridiculous, don't be results oriented.

13. FormerGermanGuy

Mar 1, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We did ok. A few poor finishes and a good goal called back kept it from being a rout. Timmy got his one good save for the game and other than that they hardly threatened.

Our midfield possession and pressure was nonexistant though. Not sure if we just respected their dribbling too much or what, but they had way too much space in the middle of the field. Their wingers were a handful.

14. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I guess you didn't notice. Dempsey was up top, or at least he was supposed to be.

15. Diegan

Diegan Member+

San Diego FC
    United States
    Sep 18, 2008
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't be results oriented? What a wonderful idea, I'll forward that to FIFA and they can decide to just decide games by possession percentage and shot count. Goals shouldn't matter anyway.

The fact remains that even if that goal goes in, even if Jozy scores and it's 4-1, Bradley played like crap, Bornstein was an embarrassment, and Dempsey lost the ball too much.

16. rtung

rtung Member

Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Anyone remember the last time a USMNT backline in an important game was this crap?

It's ironic, because the defense and D-Mid is generally seen by people on BS as our deepest positions, but they were our weakest links on the field today.

17. Donofan_10

Donofan_10 Red Card

Aug 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dempsey played up top. doesnt mean he's a forward. he had 3 good opportunities and butchered all but one

18. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I disagree. Our defense looked vulnerable all night. Even at 3-1 I wouldn't have been happy. All I can say is welcome back, Gooch. And Jay, please, please be available for Wed., so we can slide Carlos over and dump Jonny boy.

19. Nyghtewynd

Nyghtewynd I'd Rather Walk Alone

May 30, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're screwed. Bob's going to find a way to keep us home in 2010. We have three games left, and I'm not sure we'll win any of them if we play like this.

20. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    More props for Charlie and Jozy. There is always hope when they're both on the field.

21. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Say what?

22. alocksley

alocksley Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    More Charlie and Jozy please.

Feilhaber needs to be a permanent fixture.

Bradley can't keep pace with the quick passing/thinking of Feilhaber, Donovan, and Dempsey.

Outside backs were attrocious tonight.

CONCACRAP officiating at its most absurd.

23. 400lb Gorilla

400lb Gorilla Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Missouri
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even though the best outcome for us tonight was to get 3 points, which we did, I'm an American Soccer Fan on bigsoccer therefore i'm going to bitch at our team like they all shot three goals a piece into our own net and Bob Bradley personally gunned down my puppy.

24. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Hmm, well we were missing our two starting center backs and our replacements (marshall, and bornstein due to boca moving inside) are a big drop off. This is incredible that you guys think we played so bad and the fact that you figure the backline wouldn't be as good as usual.

Yes, Dempsey lost the ball too much and looked bad, but I thought in general we looked GREAT going forward, and more dangerous than I have seen in a long time. 3 points is exactly what we needed and we got it.

As far as being results oriented what I am saying is, a few of you on here wouldn't even pay attention to how players played if that goal had been counted. 3-1 would equal "the U.S. played well!" but no, a bad call, and all of the sudden we played like crap? I'm sorry there is something wrong with the logic. THAT is what don't be results oriented means, we are not fifa, we are fans, knowledgeable and otherwise.

The players didn't blow anything people, quit acting like we lost.

25. Diegan

Diegan Member+

San Diego FC
    United States
    Sep 18, 2008
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to see Feilhaber and Jones... that'd be intriguing. I doubt that Michael Bradley will get dropped though... has he ever been subbed when he's not injured? Ever?