Post-Match Thread:: DC United @ Real Salt Lake 4/12

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Riz, Apr 12, 2008.

1. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

so you are saying we have serious problem with depth.

2. trajan

trajan New Member

May 23, 2007
    Washington, DC
    For what it's worth, the other teams which finished in the top last season also got hit hard tonight, except for Dallas. Let's just eat the succulent turd that was tonight and move on.

3. PJohnson

PJohnson Member+

DC United
    Dec 16, 2004
    South Dakota
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of you really need to take a step back from the ledge. And those of you saying the team has no heart can go ahead and kiss my ass right now. :mad:

This team has just played it's 5th match in 14 days. A stretch which included road trips to kansas City, Central Mexico, and now Salt Lake. Do any of you people understand that? So they had a stinker of a match played on a narrow, crappy piece of carpet. Exactly what did any of you expect? Frankly, the fact that they even decided to play this match instead of staying in the hotel and getting drunk is encouraging to me. If you want to be pissed off at someone, try the morons at MLS Headquarters.

4. Cmoney101

Cmoney101 Member

May 19, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He played great for the u-17 national team scoring like 22 goals and he did start for a couple times for LA and had 2 assists. And trust me its hard to get an assit on that team. I think we should give someone who is good enogh to be a Gen.A player a chance. I know Mctavish had those three goals against harbor view but come on he is a defender. Why not let kirk play his natural position.

5. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What would impress fans is victories. If you give away any chance at winning the Pachuca game by going out to pummel Toronto, who have you impressed? I think that 90% of the fans would have take an unimpressive home tie or even a goal loss against Toronto if it resulted in us moving on against Pachuca.

We had this discussion last year. You may disagree, but I always say that it's better to rest a couple of stars AT HOME as opposed to on the road because role players (in every sport) are more apt to be overwhelmed on the road and play over their heads at home. Sending backups out on the road is basically akin to giving away a game. If Soehn is making decisions about lineups so that we can impress fans in a game or two, while losing in the big picture, he is making a huge mistake.

6. Irelando

Irelando New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Here
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say stick to a 4-4-2 bench Emilio and make him earn his spot back in the reserves

7. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. I mentioned this to Dave Lifton last week. Even if we've improved, it doesn't matter if everyone else has as well. And from the matches I've seen, most teams have.

Not to excuse our play tonight, because it was truly awful, but this depiction of RSL is wrong. I've seen every match they've played this year. While I wouldn't call them great, they've improved a lot over last year.

8. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They didn't just lose - I have no problem with that. Heck it happens usually 40 to 50 percent of the time even when DCU is having a good season. But this team gave up. Subbing Luci half way through the second half said it all.....

9. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because he hasn't looked good in practice, and sucked terribly in the friendly down in Richmond.

For the Nth time, he's Generation Addidas -- his salary may be > $100k, but it doesn't matter, since we're not paying him $100k.

10. traversunitedfan

Apr 29, 2007
    Hollywood MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, i think that now. Dyachenko was really dissapointing. Stratford hasn't show me anything this year. Again this game wasn't a good one to play Carvallo in.

I like some of the reserves, and i think Kirk needs to get some playing time. But the ones who played today....terrible.

11. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Classic trap game.

But leaving starters on the bench sure doesn't help!

12. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, specifically what it said is that he was playing like shit. I swear, people remember that last year he won the Golden Boot, but forget that we benched him for poor play for something like six games.

13. traversunitedfan

Apr 29, 2007
    Hollywood MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that the Toronto result was more motivating though. If we didnt get a good result then i think we would have been shit again Pachuca. I felt we were really good against Pachuca.

14. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    United didn't look like a tired team, they looked like a team that simply didn't care. That to me says they have no heart and no desire to be the best team in this league.

For Christ's sake they play only one game in the next 13 friggin' days and if they don't win that game, they'll be sitting quite a ways back just like last year.

I'm not sure if this team can continue to bank on 13 and 14 game unbeaten streaks like the past two years to get them to the Supporters Shield.

United has no other priorities besides MLS for the next 8 weeks. I can stand yet another loss in Utah, but what I can't put up with is getting your ass handed to you by a clearly inferior team. Good teams, teams with real aspirations simply don't get clocked like that. United hasn't taken a loss like that since a 5-1 pounding in 2003 in Dallas.

I'm sorry, this "performance" can not be easily swept under the carpet.

15. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Adidas paying him?

16. poopoobigelow

poopoobigelow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    yeah, we're still starting mctavish at RW? i thought it would only be until kirk and tino got acclimated to the team... i like his toughness and i think he plays well in the back line, but please no more midfield.. he offers very little going forward (3 goals, you say? c'mon, kpene would have scored those)... and while we're at it, no more starts for mediate and dyachenko, either... and the 3-4-3 formation completely isolated fred... the only time i remember seeing him was the ball skipping past him on bad passes up the flank...and with gallardo out, we needed his playmaking.. maybe this formation could work with gallardo providing good service, and better players in the midfield, but if the 4-4-2 ain't broke, don't fix it...

i think that the silver lining here is that we learned, the hard way, that the regular season means absolutely nothing... (i still can't believe that 8 teams make the playoffs in this league... if more teams make the playoffs than don't, then what's really the point?) hey, play a crap line-up ever now and then, lose a game here and there, who cares?... just stay fresh and try to get some momentum going into the playoffs.. in a league where 8 wins gets you a chance to play for the championship, bad loses to mediocre teams don't sting that much... they do if the supporter's shield is your goal, but, apparently, no one cares about it, even those that win it...

17. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL is a poor team. They had a great deal of difficulty in moving the ball up the field. They constantly bypassed their midfielders. They had difficulty putting passes together or in switching the field of play. Their transition game was none existent.

It wasn't as if they were coming at DC in wave after wave of coordinated attacks. We just made one horrible mistake after another.

The only thing they really had was Beckerman. He is a good player and had a terrific goal. Other than that they were crap.

I can't see RSL making the playoffs in a weak Western Conference. They are not better than Houston, Chivas, Dallas or Colorado. Even LA could be better. That only leaves San Jose.

18. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    We're paying him but it doesn't count against the salary cap

19. PJohnson

PJohnson Member+

DC United
    Dec 16, 2004
    South Dakota
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They didn't give up. They were just mentally and physically tired. And with the amount of running that Emilio did in the two matches against Pachuca, he probably shouldn't have started tonight. Feel free to disagree, I just don't think you are seeing the big picture.

20. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sucked would be a kind word to describe his play in Richmond. Having said that, he was playing right back in that game. And despite all protestations to the contrary, he is a right winger. He doesn't have the right back mentality and I expect that he never will. The problem is that with McTavish scoring a couple of goals against Harbour View, it's a wrap. He is now a midfielder in everyone's eyes which makes Kirk a defender. Sucks for him.

21. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    wow, we suck, im going out drinking hardcore with nick now!

22. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    I just spent the last hour or so thinking that this comment was off target somehow.

As much as I want to, I really can't disagree.

Thx,

Jay!

23. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was worse than the 5-1. If i remember correctly, we had to make a trade WITH DALLAS before the game in order to be able to field a team with 3 subs. We also had to take a player or two from a USL team prior to the game. This game against RSL was another level of suckitude.

24. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Channel 9, WUSA showed it, showed Beckerman's 2nd goal.

25. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Ahh yes, G.R. Cannon.

Code:
    G.R. Cannon
    Regular Season Stats  
    YEAR TEAM GP GS MIN G A SHT SOG FC FS C EJ 
    2004 D.C. United 1 0 35 0 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 
    Career 1 0 35 0 0 0 0 3 0 0 0
    Thx,

Jay!