PBP: Post Hudson Era #3 - Rapids versus Galaxy, Sun. 5/19/19

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by AlbertCamus, May 16, 2019.

1. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Yeah Abu plays defense like a defender not like a midfielder. Amazing how that helps

fortcollins, Andy126, m vann and 4 others repped this.
  2. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And somewhere, former 1996 one-match interim head coach Roy Wegerle is saying, "Why oh why do I have to be back on the bottom of the coaching list again?"

MrPerfectNot and JasonMa repped this.
  3. rapidogordo

rapidogordo Member

Mar 12, 2016
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Andre scored, but Abubakar is the man of the match.

Great positioning, aggressive but smart plays. He shut down so many LAG chances.

Great game!

Sports Yak and Andy126 repped this.
  4. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Going to post some thoughts without reading what's been stated since the match started.

No surprise that the Rapids won. They have suffered from individual mistakes in recent matches, but not so tonight. Anderson was on the bench as was Vines to start the. With Abubakar anchoring the back line there was a much better chance that the opposition would have a more difficult time scoring than against the pre-Abubakar edition.

The selection and formation put the Rapids in good position to counter attack. Nicholson and Lewis have such good pace and can go 1 v 1. Bassett was almost like a withdrawn forward and Acosta could go box to box.

How many times did he break up an attack? He seems to have a nose for the ball at the right time and place. Someone else on the coach next to me said he should be "man of the year." This is a bit of an overstatement, but boy is he a difference maker. There were more than a few time when I was thinking that the Galaxy would have a good opportunity - but no, Abubakar was there to break it up.

How much better did Tommy Smith look with his new partner on the back line. And putting Wynne wide rather than the youngsters didn't hurt either.

It was frustrating watching the attack screw up opportunities more than once. It seems that Kamara's lost a bit of his scoring mojo. Hope he gets it back soon.

Okay, was this the second straight match where an opposition player should have received and straight red? Wow. But it didn't seem to faze the Rapids one bit.

Andy126 and Sports Yak repped this.
  5. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  6. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm gonna go ahead and take credit for the win since I won the "auction" for Shinyashiki's Parley jersey. Seeing someone buy it must have given him the extra confidence to score...yeah, that's it!

It also helped explain the cost of the jersey to the wife..."See? Kid's good!"

Stuart95, Andy126, pdid10 and 1 other person repped this.
  7. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really like the lineup that was put out by Casey. The name of the game was speed and Nicholson and Lewis provided that. Man, if those two can become consistent forces our fortunes could start turning around. Kei will a ton of opportunities based on Nicholson and Lewis, like he did yesterday, and hopefully he won't squander those chances. i said from the beginning I loved the Abubakar pickup. He brings that physicality. He brings that smart play and strong positioning. Dude was a beast yesterday. My MOTM. Abu has more to offer, too.

Andy126 and wormhole repped this.
  8. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Agree about the lineup and the potential of Lewis and Nicholson. The next step for both is to become consistent with decision making in and around the box. Lewis struggled a bit with his passing last night, but boy did he use the threat of his pace to completely fool the defender in the second half with a move in the box where he pulled the ball back and got a shot off that was parried into the path of Kamara.

Andy126 repped this.
  9. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. I saw that little juke and burst of speed and my eyes got wide like damn...that speed is more of an asset that I thought. The passing does need a little work. He's got a mission and that's straight to goal. I've noticed with NYCFC, USMNT, and with the Rapids he puts that head down and blazes full speed ahead but when he finally picks that head up he kinda of hesitates and is stuck between should I make a pass or keep dribbling. More often that not, he's forced into a pass and that little hesitation either throws a runner off his run or Lewis has telegraphed his pass allowing a defender to react quickly. That aspect of his game can be ironed out over time.

Andy126 repped this.
  10. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    829F5E43-77B4-4D68-AE7B-4AFA11CDA287.jpeg Looks like Lewis got team of the week honors for his performance in the game:

11. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Tahan's great - and Abubakar should have made it as well.

Andy126 repped this.
  12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The weekly VAR recap is out:

http://proreferees.com/2019/05/24/the-definitive-angle-mls-week-12/

TheWarmBurger repped this.