Post-Game :: Crew vs. NYRB [R]

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by fidlerre, May 20, 2010.

1. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Crew win 3-1.

Discuss.

2. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crew @ NY Red Bulls, 5/20/10

MASSIVE result.

Gaven, Iro, Renteria.

Somewhat lucky. Offense did the job, but we could have easily given up 5 tonight. The defense just has to tighten things up, or our stay in first place is going to be short-lived.

Gotta love the composure from Renteria on the final goal. Calm as you like.

Eddie Gaven's the MOTM. A goal and an assist, and could have had one or two more. Great match for him.

Ekpo: Disappointing. Robbie Rogers may make bad decisions, but at least he MAKES decisions. Ekpo looked like he didn't have a clue at times tonight.

Moffat: Not good. Gotta figure out something else.

Iro: Nice goal, but my lord, he got torched/made a huge mess at least four times tonight. Should have given up at least one more goal tonight just because of him.

Brunner: Ditto.

Hesmer: One nice save at the top of the box, but the goal was squarely on him. No reason in the world to come off his line there.

3. CrewNoob

CrewNoob Member

May 7, 2008
    Huntington, WV
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great result, especially on the road. Gaven stepped it up today for sure. I'm going to have to admit, I was definitely wrong vis a vis Garey/Lenhart. Lenny is the better option for sure. That guy was everywhere tonight.

We got a little lucky with the post and everything, but sometimes you need a little luck to be in first.

4. CBusCrew12

CBusCrew12 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lenhart - 5/10 - His usual physical self. No goals. Almost scored on his own team.

Garey - 4/10 - Didn't do shit.

Ekpo - 3/10 - Showed us why he's best as a super-sub.

Moffat - 3/10 - It's time to bench him. Absolutely dreadful.

Carroll - 6/10

Gaven - 8/10 - Awesome first half.

O'Rourke - 7/10 - Wouldn't be against keeping him at LB.

Iro - 6/10 - Played really well in the first half defensively and scored a goal. 2nd half, was lacking, though.

Brunner - 5/10

Hejduk - 6/10

Hesmer - 6/10 - Aside from getting caught in no mans land for the lone NY goal, he played well.

Subs:

Zayner - 5/10
    Renteria - 7/10
    Oughton - NA

MOTM - Goal Posts

5. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good first half, a bit more of a struggle in the second. NY hits the woodwork 3 times, and finally scores on a Hesmer brainfart.

Has anyone ever seen two goals so close together that were the result of more comical defending than those two?

Still, I'll more than take the result, and there were lots of good signs tonight. Especially Gaven, Iro (aside from that bobble vs. Richards), and Renteria.

Guille back next week. He starts up to with Lenny. I'd have to say Renteria is behind both. Though with Garey out (likely) and Ekpo not playing real well, maybe Renteria starts in MF.

As someone who has been clamoring for Ekpo, I'm a bit disappointed in his play. Still, he probably gets another chance on Sunday.

6. CrewNoob

CrewNoob Member

May 7, 2008
    Huntington, WV
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not so sure. Maybe Renteria earned his place in the XI for Sunday with his performance tonight.

7. mateo319

mateo319 Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What an embrassering result for the Krew. Can Robert even coach? I see parents with 5 year olds who can sub better than that.

We are so lucky, we should have lost 16-0 and New York was missing almost all its starting players, seriously, winning 3-1 is an embarassment. We didn't deserve that at all, Renteria's last goal shouldn't have even counted and New York would have had 10 by the half if they had all their starters. When Teirry Henry comes they will beat us by double digets in Crew stadium in the playoffs.

I don't know if you were watching out there, but this team has clearly given up on Robert. I hate to tell you guys, but this team sucks, is headed in the wrong direction, and this season's pretty much a lost cause.

I can't believe people would still support the coach of this team after a match like that. It's time to open your eyes and see what's going on. :mad:

8. DAFCrew

DAFCrew Member+

Feb 27, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I may have had a lack of confidence in this lineup, but the simple fact is that even minus four key players, the main difference between last weekend - one of our worst games in a long time - and this pleasant road experience, was, quite simply, passing.

Props to all of you who made the roadtrip, by the way.

I thought that Moffatt had a good game, but I really liked the substitutions. Fantastic. Ekpo lasted about as long as I might have expected, and I wasn't disappointed with the effort (although I do prefer his energy as a MID GAME sub). Gaven was awesome . . . again. Hesmer was as good as he was last week. Renteria . . . well, yeah. Ane we had St. Dunc on the field. Good times.

For those of you with Bobby W issues, he sure outcoached his opponent, tonight. For those of us with Carroll issues, he just gave us 2008 form. Those with Lenhart issues should clearly take the night off.

Harkes mocking Frankie's high voice . . . what a joke. If Harkes had had any of Frankie's heart or character . . . aw, the hell with it.

Gotta love that New York post.

9. CrewNoob

CrewNoob Member

May 7, 2008
    Huntington, WV
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

10. bergbros

bergbros Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Galloway
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Phenomenal game. The first half was better than the second but this was impressive. Hejduk's pass to Gaven was as beautiful as you were going to see it. Iro's header was great but he was abused all night long. Ekpo really showed why he comes off the bench. Just no idea out there. Lenhart was great on both sides of the ball. He was just everywhere. You also had to give a lot of credit to Brian Carroll. He shored up a lot of holes and made some key blocks. Renteria just played himself into the starting IX with that terrorizing performance.

Finally, give a TON of credit to Warzycha for his lineup, his strategy of attacking opportunistic soccer and very timely and appropriate substitutions.

Statement game for both teams. It showed what the MLS food chain really is.

11. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two words... F*ck You

12. mateo319

mateo319 Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You need to open your eyes - I'm just telling how it is.

13. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sarcasm, my friend.

14. scornflakes

scornflakes Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    There is, literally, not a single thing in this post that I agree with. And, for some reason, that makes me delirious with joy :)

15. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So am I. What subs should Bob have used genius?

16. mateo319

mateo319 Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Task-master McCullers has pulled the wool over your eyes. He cares more about hot dogs than this team. Its time to get someone who really cares.

17. mateo319

mateo319 Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First of all, why Robbie Rogers not even on bench? I think it shows just how much he's in the dog house, he's not even hurt.

Besides, why is Brian Carroll still out there, he terrible. Dilly Duka is much better. Even Kevin burns would be better.

18. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    How good are we? We will play with two fewer men than the competition. MASSIVE.

Why do Crew keepers have a WTF moment in NY that always lead to a goal?

Ekpo was nowhere to be found in that 1st half.... I think I saw O'Rourke more in the run of play offensively during the first 45 minutes.

MOTM - The three goalposts.

19. bergbros

bergbros Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Galloway
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are right. I am blinded by the 5-0-2 start and everyone contributing to the wins. Jeez man, did you see the same SEASON?

20. CrewNoob

CrewNoob Member

May 7, 2008
    Huntington, WV
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aside from being with the national team?

21. mateo319

mateo319 Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every game the team plays worst. Soon, we will be happy there isn't relegation. If we played a good team like Chicago, we would lose tonight. New York will win by 10 at CCS when they get Henry.

22. bergbros

bergbros Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Galloway
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy crap, this guy is on autopilot. RR is with the US National Team you jerkweed. The rest of your comments are even more stoopid.

23. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was another ugly win, but we are still undefeated. This was a huge eastern conference victory putting us in first place w/ two games in hand. There is no doubt that NY deserved a better result (3 shots off the bar/post). Garey should have been subbed out way before he almost collapsed. Ekpo looked weak. Renteria earned himself a starting role for the next match. Hesmer had a great game until he pooched it on the NY goal. Nice game from Gaven. Lenhart was a real workhorse. It you want "the beautiful game" the Crew is not going to deliver, but they are getting the results.

24. suspenders1964

Mar 4, 2000
    we are awesome.

25. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    I'm not sure what surprises me more: the 3-1 result or the ease with which mateo caught so many fish.