NSR: post-game boxing event

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by rkupp, Aug 13, 2012.

1. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Anyone stay for this?

I thought it was pretty cool. Lots of places to get a good view of the bouts, w/o getting the special seating. The fights were pretty fast-paced, plenty of action and the local hero got a KO in the premier event.

Revs McCarthy & Soares, KA and DBarnes showed up to watch. Shawn Thornton of the Broons was also another visible presence with the O'Connor Crew.

Very colorful crowd!

2. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    what a joke

3. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    No, but what is a joke is your thinking that putting anything and everything down makes you somehow feel superior. Sad.

4. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many people actually hung around? I know I left after the game to tailgate, but noticed a few of the supporters were still inside.

5. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I'm gonna take a WAG of about 500 there altogether. I think a fair number came just for the fight, although there were a large number of Revs jerseys inside and outside the ringside section.

6. RedRevs

RedRevs Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Cambridge
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. We've given up on soccer so we've moved on to other sports in hopes of getting bodies out to the man mall.

I don't see the cross-promotional benefit for the Revs and the fact that organizational assets were used towards this fight while there are clearly problems with the club does not sit well with me.

I'm probably be oversensitive but as a season ticket holder I'm allowed to be.

7. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    Marketing department seemed far more interested in this than anything Revs related this season.

The first two stories on the Revolution's website are talking about boxing.

8. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Yeah, I feel so superior that I've posted something to the internet. Also, coming from you is basically the height of hilarity.

This entire boxing circus was a joke. For someone who claims to only be interested in the game on the field, I'm surprised you were lured in by such a sideshow. I'd never guess you to contradict yourself.

Crooked repped this.
  9. pwykes

pwykes Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Auburn, MA
    This is pathetic. Rev's home page and there is more news about boxing than soccer: revs boxing.png

Rangers Rob repped this.
  10. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing that bugs me most about the boxing "doubleheader" was it was the brainchild of a FO that cracked down on YSA chants. So naughty words are verboten, but having a bunch of grown men smacking the hell out of each other is family-friendly entertainment? Those're some mixed messages right there, Revs.

11. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you actually expect anyone to agree with you? Part of me thinks you work for the Revs, and another part thinks that you're simply obtuse. Actually, I'm not sure there's a difference between the two.

RevsFanDan and Rangers Rob repped this.
  12. Weber King

Weber King Member

Sep 28, 2001
    North Andover, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet, for all their supposed "family friendly" mandates for us, the powers that be allowed them to set up a stand not 200 feet from the ring selling "Asskicker" t-shirts.

RevsFanDan, Rangers Rob and Alan repped this.
  13. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well of course, they probably made some money off it.

If the Fort had sold YSA shirts that the Revs/Kraft could make money off, it would probably be OK all of a sudden.

14. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Yeah, I did. Silly me.

There were plenty of people disguised as Revs fans clearly enjoying themselves.

15. Alan

Alan Titanium Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strange.

If you went to purchase 'boxing seats' on TicketMaster, the stadium map showed 'The Ring' in the stage area, on the field, in the end zone -- not tucked up underneath the second level seats on the concourse.

The folks around me at midfield spotted the ring in the strange location and kept repeating ... "No way, they must be moving it, it can't be". All of whom promptly left after the Revs defeat.

16. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    There are always plenty of people disguised as Revs fans at Gillette.

17. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boxing and soccer? Really?

Unless I'm missing something, Rev marketing has lost the plot and is now throwing ideas against the wall to see what sticks.

RevsFanDan and Kraft Out repped this.
  18. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't lose something you never had.

19. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They've had this feeling for a while.

20. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they moved the Ring because of the "rain"

21. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So they really did have the ring set up under the stands on the concourse, next to the New Hampshire Sausage stand? I guess I should never to assume something like this is a joke.

So it must have been tough to manage the logistics of moving all those people who bought the expensive "ringside" seats to a bleacherless stage, huh?

Question: Back in the Old Days when boxing was a huge sport, they used to hold fights in huge outdoor stadiums in front of massive crowds. I can't imagine what the view from the last row of the bottom deck in Yankee Stadium would have been for the Joe Louis - Max Schmelling fight. Not like they had any video screens or nuffin then.

So what would happen if it rained? I never heard of fights being rained out, but from a competitive/fairness and safety perspective, even a light drizzle would make footing pretty slippery and takign a punch that would be no problem all of a sudden becomes the knockout punch. Where is Eric Spurlock? I bet he would know....

22. RedRevs

RedRevs Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Cambridge
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps all of these Boxing questions are better suited for "BigBoxing.com."

Achowat repped this.
  23. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Well the Revs aren't really relavent to the game of soccer, so I often wonder why there is a whole forum dedicated to them here in Bigsoccer.com

RevsFanDan and Rangers Rob repped this.
  24. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, they brought boxing to our soccer first. You issues are with Burns, not us

25. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Man. You people really know how to suck the fun out of following this team or reading anything on these boards. You all should go find a different hobby, something other than constantly trolling around on here.

teskicks repped this.