Post-match: Post-Election: Self-Criticism and Struggle Sessions

Discussion in 'Elections' started by DoyleG, Nov 8, 2016.

1. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Given the way that this election is going to be, best to set up a thread for those to explain themselves if the results don't go as they hope.

2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? Gary Johnson why?

Hopefully he gets 5%.

cmonref repped this.
  3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So calling on all liberals.

4. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    The legalized week proposition picked the right time to pass in California, I'll tell you that.

5. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    I need help with acclimating to the rituals of our neighbors to the north. 1st off do the curds go on top of the poutined fries or what? What do you do when you encounter a moose in downtown Toronto? Is Tim Horton still revered as a Leaf player or is he scorned for his lousy coffee and crummy donuts? I would appreciate a timely answer as my flight leaves in an hour. :cry:

Ps....goodby Alison! :inlove::cry:

Naughtius Maximus and uclacarlos repped this.
  6. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Crap, that should say "legalized weed"

7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another one, I made a lot of jokes about Brexit, I made a lot of jokes about Duarte and the Philippines, now we get Trump.

Karma!

raza_rebel and EyesOnBall repped this.
  8. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    On second thought the US got the president that fits it perfectly. There couldn't be a better fit than Trump.

9. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Get a good nights sleep and I'll given you advice tomorrow.

roby repped this.
  10. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Johnson unfortunately didn't really deserve the 5% by the end of the campaign IMO. Being grossly under-prepared for routine interviews that were the key to reaching a more mainstream audience is inexcusable. You have to be able to cite specifics and be intelligent about how you approach questions, especially when dealing with new and scary ideas for the general public, or else it's really easy to be dismissed as a nutball, which he was by a lot of voters.

Boloni86 and Iranian Monitor repped this.
  11. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, if like me, the person you voted for lost, then the smart thing to do is really try and understand why. It's not because Trump voters are all racist, sexist, and white. No more than Hillary's voters are all morally and ethically bankrupted brown people.
    It's been said we assign the worst motives to our opponents and the best motives to our own intentions. We'd do well to remember that, and try to really understand how pissed off people of all colors and backgrounds are, and maybe rethink who we are are and what we are doing.
    Being sanctimonious and gleefully cheering that your particular agenda is getting shoved down people's throats is a recipe for disaster. That's now obvious.

Timon19, Boloni86, El Chuma and 2 others repped this.
  12. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    For weeks I have been wondering how the Republican Party could survive this election intact.

I never in a million years thought I'd be wondering the same about the dems.

Thankfully this marks the be of the Clinton's political careers. It's a shame they had to completely annihilate their (Bill's) legacy before they left.

dapip repped this.
  13. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the big stories is how much turnout is down. I think most people who voted, did so for their party. The people who didn't vote this time around is a big thing I want to understand.

And you and I disagree on a lot, but we agree on this wholeheartedly. Well posted.

Timon19, Q*bert Jones III and roadkit repped this.
  14. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    And Clinton wins the popular vote. Amazing result where you can have a candidate win the people and lose the map and the office because of it. There must be some compromise between popular vote and EC which makes the results align close to 100 percent of the time. Right now we have had 4 situations like this in our history IIRC which is somewhere close to 9 percent. That is too high.

luftmensch repped this.
  15. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Quote from another thread.

Considering how small the margins are in some states and how this looks like the lowest turn-out since 2000, this seems pretty prescient.

16. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    I can't even sleep so I'll riff on that comment for a bit. Bernie was absolutely right. This was the election for radical politics. It was election that would not be decided by the coalition that won Clinton her primary victory but the coalition that Bernie carried in that election and the one that Trump used to get to 270. That white rural and suburban working class vote in the rust belt, the one hurt most by trade agreements and automation is the one that turned obama's great lakes state firewall in 2008 into the trump card in 2016.

Here is the contrast
    Then,[​IMG]

and now,

[​IMG]

17. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    He couldn't give a reason for why he would cut Department X or a function of Department X when asked about his libertarian viewpoints in an interview.

The dude did not sound anywhere near a solid libertarian candidate let alone a presidential one.

18. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    796359180458270721 is not a valid tweet id

I usually have little patience for the "not all men" defense, but this might be the one context in which it applies. The majority of non-white men voted for Clinton, so they don't deserve to be lumped in with the 59%.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  19. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    ♪ Pack up your troubles in your old kit bag and smile, smile ,smile!

@Naughtius Maximus And you thought your lot were the biggest numpties with the Brexit vote. There was no way us Yanks were going to let you keep that title for long. We beat your a$$ again! :cry:

Naughtius Maximus and song219 repped this.
  20. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Well...I'm up now but I just saw the news. I'm going back to bed and when I get up again maybe the news will be different! Anyways....any tips on how to survive in The Great White North would be appreciated. It's supposed to be in the 90's in So Cal today. :thumbsup:

21. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Conversely, as most non-white women voted for Clinton, white women don't deserve to be lumped in with her 54%. White women took Hillary's woman card, shredded it, and buried the pieces. They were the reason that Hillary lost the election. That white men would vote for one of their own is understandable. That white women would go for Donald Trump, in large numbers ... I have no explanation for that.

luftmensch repped this.
  22. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every white person whose job could be done by a robot. That's my guess at the demographic Clinton lost.

luftmensch and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  23. the5timechamp

the5timechamp Member+

Nov 3, 2012
  24. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well they "hate" her more than women in their particular groups.

25. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yes, that would be a high correlation. I can't blame those people for being upset. What Donald Trump can and will do to address their problem, though, is a bit of a mystery.

dapip repped this.