Post Championship Celebration at RFK-Analysis and Commentary [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by BudWiser, Nov 16, 2004.

1. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    First of all, I shot a PK, it went "in the net" (as Dave Johnson would say) and the guy who was putting the ball on the PK spot said "hoo-hoo-hoo great shot!" (Hey it was my first and probably last shot at playing soccer on the RFK field )

Dema wore a beanie

Esky had a huge smile for the fans. Was talking w/Tim Brandt earlier on the field

Nowak wasn't there (something about bad mayonnaise?? :D)

A class event, lots of fun and big thanks to DC United for having it

2. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    great to know it was fun!
    did todd hamlin make any on goal?
    we all know what happend last time he tried to shoot on net on RFK :D :eek: ;)

what was the turnout like?

3. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    I wish I knew-but ain't it grand shooting PKs on the RFK field?? It was tons of fun watching the young and old do it.

I'm amazed at how close the grass is cut-didn't know grass could grow at that height. I obviously got a sense of what it's like to be on the field

I'm guessing 1,500 or so?? Pure guess

Payne spoke, congratulated everyone-coaches, players, all. The DC Stadium head spoke said we'd have a stadium. Then Mayor Williams. Then Carol Schwarz. Then Ryan Nelsen who said "...all the smiles and expressions of the fans made it worthwile" or something like that-nice statement. Each player had a reaction when Payne called their name-was fun to see.

4. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I loved the Mike's reaction to the "Petke is a wanker" chant. Classic. :)

It was a very good time. I'm so happy that we won the Cup, but it's kind of like the day after Christmas or the day after a really great party. You're happy you had such a great time, but at the same time you're a little depressed it's over. I want the season to go on and on and on. ;)

5. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    That was GREAT

you're a little depressed it's over. I want the season to go on and on and on. ;)

Absolutely. For me both the DC season and my soccer season in general. I have a tourney to play this weekend but man I'm gonna get down when it's over-is so much fun.

The fans were great. I heard "Where's the beer man" after I believe Williams spoke.

Allright I'm out don't want to post too much

6. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    the best part about winning is that we get to start early next year. :)

7. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    The "we want the beer man" chant was started by your's truly. I think I got a few others going too. :)

8. mellon002

mellon002 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Towson, MD
    Any word on when?

9. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if its anywhere near that, thats fantastic. thank you internet ! haha

10. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA
    I know! Even Kevin Payne gave a shout out to us "Internet Nuts"

11. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Three things stand out:

1. The "Petke is a wanker" chant, Petke holding his video camera and encouraging the chant.

2. The crowd chanting "give him a raise" when Namoff was introduced.

3. Ben Olsen, who usually looks like he just escaped from St. E's, looked as though he had not slept and most drank since Sunday. Truly dangerous.

Mad props to all who attended, alot of fun and a final chance to say "thank you" to a very special team.

12. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad it was a good time for all, sad I wasn't able to be there due to work, family, yada, yada, yada. I hope DC United wins again next year so I'll be able to attend the post-championship festivities! :D

13. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    heres to *****

14. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    Touhey (sp?), Schwartz (councilwoman), and Da Mayor all promised a new stadium by '07.

15. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Hey, thanks for the beer. :)

16. LowEnd

LowEnd New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Washington, DC
    They said the stadium would happen by 2007, which I guess leaves us with two years at RFK. That was from Williams and Tuohy. Let's hope it works out that way and on time.

It was cool to see the players up close, but moreso just to walk on the pitch, and stop in spots where you remember Jaime or Eski knocking one in from and thinking "********". All in all pretty mellow night, and I'm glad I went.

17. big spaniel

big spaniel Member

Nov 18, 1999
    Arlington, Virginia
    After the rally, I was stopped on the field by a reporter and cameraman from TVN, a Polish television network, for some words. I talked about how much United and all the players meant to me and how much I loved the team. I also talked about the great job Coach Nowak did, and how he brought what he learned in Poland from his dad, and what he learned in Germany, to MLS, and how that eventually got the team turned around, a lot like what happened in 1996. When the reporter commented that soccer wasn't that popular in the U.S., I pointed out that a lot of us did grow up playing soccer, but there was no place to go with that, but now with MLS American soccer players now have something to strive for. Our recent success in World Cup play is clear proof of that.

Wonder how much will end up on the cutting room floor..... but I did say "thank you" in Polish; bet that will make it!

18. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

oh man i wish i could do that. i would go back through all the goals i could remeber. a few of etch's stand out

19. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you notice Freddy's diamond ear studs? Just like Stokes'. Let's hope that's all they have in common.

Maybe the studs came from a post-victory party in LA. Do you think they got tatoos also?

20. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anyone one seen Stewart?????? He was just here a second ago!!!!

:D ;)

21. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent time had by all I'd have to think.

Not sure what the attendance was, but whatever the number, it sounded like at least double that with the chanting and everything - well done to all.

MVP of the night was Nana Kaffour - at least I think it was him. After the players started leaving the stage and the fans swarmed in for autographs, this one aisle just naturally formed with fans on either side for the players to exit through. Slowly down the path came Kaffour, carrying the MLS Cup proudly aloft, and walking slow enough so every one could get a touch on the trophy. That made the night right there.

Good to see some old friends from the team staff and some of the long-time fans like Lastort and Mathai. Easily worth the trip from NW Baltimore.

I snapped about 60 or 70 pictures. Once I download them and see what I got, I'll try and post some here.

22. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Great time!

The Good...Seeing the trophy ( again), talking to Kevin Payne, High Fivin' Jaime, passing out Barra jerseys to all the team, standing in the middle of the field with a couple of thousand DC fanaticos. :)

The Sad.....Saying goodbye to all my Barra Brothers and Sisters for the next few months. :(

23. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I didn't see Matt there.

Nice chatting with you, albeit it shortly, Ed. Can't wait for March. :)

24. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Coverage on COMCAST is on shortly...

25. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cant wait to see those pictures from the rally.

i cant wait for preseason!