Post Casey Analysis of Striker Dilemma for 2006

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by DMunited, Jul 10, 2005.

1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    When I laughed my ass off was when you wrote this:

"now that is pretty scary.....EJ has scored a bunch of goals....against teams that won't get a sniff of the World Cup....don't know why the Bruce won't give Cooper a look see.....he's tried everyone else....and Cooper and EJ could be the answer...I guess we may never know...."

That had me rolling. "Oh dear Nellie, will Tiny Tim ever kick a footie ball again?" "Alas Nurse MacKenzie, I guess we'll never know. The Evil Gargoyle has banished him to Engerland. Wretch and coward that he is!"

Boy I'm bummed I actually have to work between these posts. This has been a great weekend of BS!

2. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    aha..PRPV´s world cup dream....but nice one...
    I think you and england66 made me so curious about this Cooper
    that I want to find out how good he is and i will be very curious
    if we will see him next year in Germany....maybe it will be England66´s
    dream...but some of dreams come sometimes in truth....Maybe this
    Cooper is not so bad..maybe he will surprise us....I think I have never
    seen him to play...like you...so it is really hard for me to guess now..
    but I will have eyes on him..and keep me informed about him...
    Port Vale nation as world cup nation?..hm...you have very nice dream...
    I like these two opposite post by you and england66....
    it is better for me to have own idea about cooper...
    so i should start to dream my german dream now:)

your bltleo

3. Heathens '87

Heathens '87 Member

United States
    Mar 4, 2004
    Michigan
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think Peter has Jaime Moreno, who is a proven scorer in MLS. Quaranta is just now healthy for the first time in years, and is needing to prove his worth over Eskandarian. They're near even in starts and minutes. Moreno is Bolivian.

Same with Simms. He's behind Olsen, Gomez, Gros, and Carroll in the midfield in terms of starts and minutes, and they all play different positions or are veterans with a proven record of production in the league. Simms is ahead of Kovalenko in terms of minutes, which is telling for his experience level. Of those ahead of him, Gomez is Argentinian and Olsen is on the national team for the Gold Cup.

It's always hard to compare club and country, but I think what Bruce knows is that Moreno is Bolivian, and he likes Simms better than Gros and Carroll......

4. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe you misunderstood my point.
    Kovalenko was hurt a lot this year, wasn't he?
    Isn't one of Bruce's big things that he wants his guys to start for the first team wherever they are. I was just saying that Simms and Quaranta weren't doing that. Yes, Quaranta was injured and maybe once he gets back he'll be a solid starter. I'm just not sold yet. On Simms i'm also not sold... I don't know if he should always be starting for DC and I know I don't think he should be getting much if any playing time for the nats at this point.

What I don't get is why you mention that Moreno is Bolivian and Gomez in Argentinian as if that gets them automatic starts. They are two of the 2 or 3 best players on DC. THAT is why they start.

5. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Freisland and England - While riveting, I'd be grateful if y'all would take your discussions to PM land.

6. Heathens '87

Heathens '87 Member

United States
    Mar 4, 2004
    Michigan
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I mention that Moreno is Bolivian because his starting ahead ahead of Quaranta really can't play into Santino's national team status. Moreno is a better MLS player, and is one of the best strikers in the league, but that matters little to Arena if the nationality isn't American. Playing behind Moreno shouldn't be held against Santino, in my opinion. I just wish Moreno was American...we could use someone like him.

I'm not sold on Simms by any stretch, and Santino showed me something against Cuba, but there's a long way to go. But I've never heard Arena say that club status is the only or even determining factor in national team consideration.

It's part of the mix, but Keller was starting while he was still an EPL reserve, McBride started as a Fulham reserve, Bocanegra was benched by his club, Donovan wasn't dropped by the USMNT because he wasn't starting in Germany, and of course there's Bobby Convey.

I don't think Bruce is being inconsistent in looking at either player, although I'm not sure why Simms is in the mix when we have better options in the midfield. At forward, I think Santino deserves a look as our depth is not where it needs to be.......

My main point is that I don't think Bruce's decisions should be screened first by club coaches, whose job is to win league games, not to develop players for a national team.

7. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Ah, but how will poor Btleo ever solve her Cooper dilemma?

Till the next scintillating Cooper thread, this is Sky Captain freisland, signing off. Roger and out. (cue flying music, roll end credits and that's a wrap boys and girls...)

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but you didn't want him on the field in 2002, either, and he was great for us in the knockout rounds.

Captain10 saying he doesn't want Reyna out there is like Satan saying he doesn't like crosses.

9. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not saying Bruce never deviates, but i've heard him MANY times be quoted as saying someone who isn't getting regular playing time will have a harder time playing in national team games. Donovan is a special case as he will start for the forseeable future for the nats no matter what. I agree that we have lots of better options at midfield and I also posit that we have better options than Quaranta at forward. Buddle, Cunningham, Twellman. You can't tell me that you see more in Quaranta than in those guys who have consistently been producing in MLS for a couple years at least. I'm a big Quaranta fan, but was REALLY surprised to see him get called up. He didn't show me much against Cuba, but he WAS playing with the B team.

You may not thing Bruce's decisions should be screened first by club coaches, but he himself has said that he will often use that as a major factor. Also, if a guy isn't starting in the EPL that's pretty different than not starting in MLS...

10. Heathens '87

Heathens '87 Member

United States
    Mar 4, 2004
    Michigan
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not disagreeing with you, but there's a big difference between saying you'll never play for the national team unless you're starting for your club, and rightly pointing out that form and fitness are hard to obtain if you're not playing regularly for your club. Not that you said either, but too many make this into a black-and-white statement by the Bruce.

Are there guys not starting or even getting many minutes with their club and still playing for the US?! Yes, and I don't think Arena is being inconsistent in doing so. That's my point......

As for Santino, watching the game in-person, I thought he showed himself to be a capable player in the Cuba game, involving his teammates in the game and minimizing errors. Not bad for a first cap, and I think giving him a further look is now warranted. I'm with you on Twellman, as he can finish, but Buddle has no work ethic and Cunningham is selfish. Twellman's hurt, so Santino it is.......

11. Biggun

Biggun New Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    I would have to say that I was impressed with Santino in the Cuba game. He was able to work the ball around well and had some nice runs on that left side. He will get a more time to prove if he belongs on that final roster. Buddle has way to much baggage and not worth the time to talk about for WC06 roster. The core is going to be EJ, BMB, Wolff and Ching. I think they will bring in the extra midfielder instead of the 5th striker though. The game as a whole has changed more to the hybrid attacking mid/striker type players more than true strikers, not just the US system.

12. Heathens '87

Heathens '87 Member

United States
    Mar 4, 2004
    Michigan
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree, but I do worry that we'll want some extra depth at the target forward slot given McBride's age. That might be Noonan on the depth chart behind Ching, even though he might be listed as a forward.

We'd be competitive with this group up top, and our chances will rest on the shoulders where it should - Donovan and Beasley. Set aside our forwards, we'll be as good as LD and DMB's finishing, in my opinion..........

13. kurgen99

kurgen99 New Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I think Reyna may be done with the Nats. Where is he? He isn't injured?

14. dws3665

dws3665 Member

May 30, 2005
    Charleston, SC
    Not a Wolff fan, here, but I was totally nodding my head along with your post until the highlighted sentence above. If fact, this is exactly (imho) what Wolff does NOT do. He makes great runs, but his crosses and passes are usually awful. I agree with you that he contributes and stretches defenses -- I just wish he could finish and create a little bit better. If he could, we wouldn't be having this thread.

15. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He isn't done. I might agree that he shouldn't be an automatic starter anymore. We haven't played a lot of good games with him recently, and HAVE played some very good ones without him. Still, at times in some circumstances he can be a very good player. He is also always an option off the bench if we get a lead.

He is taking time off from the Nats this summer to get healthy and practice with City.

16. Biggun

Biggun New Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Reyna is taking the time off because he knows that he will be playing in WC06 and will not have a break next summer. Plus, he really needs it with all the injuries, a little r & r should help him out greatly. Man City is really happy he isn't playing for the Nats this summer.

17. Jonez

Jonez New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Boston
    I'll reserve my judgement until I see what Dempsey can do. While he doesn't play forward for the Revs, his skill set seems to fit with what the team is looking for:

Good finisher with his head
    Good at taking on defenders
    Solid at winning balls in the air
    Seems to time his runs well
    A little selfish with the ball (his biggest detraction as a midfielder would be an asset as a forward.)

I'm not saying that he is the answer, but I can see why Bruce would want to give it a shot.

18. todd_knode

todd_knode New Member

Jun 30, 2005
    San Diego via DC

Agreed. Those 2 are our most important players. Even if EJ is in top form I find it hard to believe he will be able to score if the midfield isn't producing. Johnson isn't the type of player yet that can carry the team on his own.

For another note Twellman won't be making the WC. He is too one dimensional. Quaranta and Noonan have a shot because they can play on the wings as well as up top. Twellman seems to be only good inside the 18.

19. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I never understood why Reyna gets so maligned. He is a different style of player that has always been extremely versatile. He isn't breathtakingly fast or flashy, he just does his role. It seems like when he plays and the USA wins, it's because of everyone else. Yet when they lose, the blame gets placed on him on many occasions.

Eddie Johnson, barring injury, will be on the USA team in 2006. THere really isn't a doubt in my mind about that. He did well against CONCACAF opposition and in qualifying. Maybe he'll do well against even better competition once he's had the opportunity to face it. He comes across as a player that would relish the challenge and will probably succeed.

For USA fans, I've seen many of them pissed off that Arena hasnt' called in Edson Buddle. Maybe now is the opportunity for him to get the call and stake his claim. Probably no-one more than him knows how hard he'd have to work with the one opportunity he'd be given. Taylor Twellman will also feaure a few times and in some friendlies again, and Arena may experiment more with Pat Noonan, revisit the poorly choiced formation used against Mexico, and bring in a few other players that, between today and next May, show very well. It's not over for players like Clint Mathis either, and maybe not for a guy like Jeff Cunningham or Alecko Eskandarian. Ante Razov's a bit older, no need for two slower 30+ year old forwards.

Or...

Arena may experiment with different midfield formations to give waves of attacks.

Regardless, the USA still has much room to develop and I think I can see the direction Arena's going. It's not over for some other players either like Chris Albright, etc. Sorry to ramble, but I remember when Taylor Twellman did well in the U-20's some time ago and was scoring some good goals. With good service, he would be a very dangerous forward.

20. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But everyone knows that real cultured football nations play the ball on the ground through the middle instead playing those horrid British....

Oh,wrong cross,sorry.....

21. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    I turn around for two weeks, I come back, and people are taking Freisland serious again.

He's like that guy who is never serious, but people always take seriously. It's that rapier wit.

Just when you thought it was at its rapiest.

22. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't blame him for the losses or give credit only to others for wins. I'm sure someone has looked at it statistically as well, but I just don't think we look so dangerous with him in the middle and DO look a lot more dangerous in games without him. By 'dangerous' I mean ability to win AND an interesting style that keeps teams on their toes and allows us to attack.
    You could probably make the argument that he just hasn't played in enough games since '02 (and that's all i'm looking at here, before that point he was integral to our success I think) to be fair. I'll accept that as a criticism of my criticism of him but I don't think it makes my general impression of the situation wrong. I don't think he should come to Germany or that he shouldn't start necessarily, just that he isn't a lock like he was in '02. Its partly due to him being older, but mostly due to the improvement of LD and DMB among others.

23. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    How to say "supersize it?"

24. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    This is how I see it too ... unless someone comes up big between now and the Cup (ya, Kenny Cooper could score 20 goals in Colaship for someone), the striker combo is the usual suspects - Eddie Johnson, Brain McBride, Josh Wolff and Brian Ching.

The fifth spot should go to someone versatile, so it's between Noonan, who can also play either side of the midfield, or Quaranta, who can play up and on the flank.

Pat should get the not there since he had a superior MLS season and can also play either forward spot (with or as a target striker). Besides, he looked pretty good against Canada, won several headers, hit the crossbar.

Q can conceivably make the roster anyway, as a back-up to Steve Ralston, who seems to be getting entrenched as the right mid.

25. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Of course there will be one or two more major injuries to free up more space, just like now with Johnson, Ching, and Casey all hurt. Maybe next year it will be the midfield/forward hybrid types that will get hurt all at once. Imagine having Noonan, Quaranta, and Donovan all out for Germany.