Post Burn Match Discussion (R)

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Soccer Doc, Oct 4, 2003.

1. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4-1 in 85th minute.
    Two goals by TnT. Two assists by Pepe. Another goal by Bully and Noonan. Tie between Crew and DCU.
    Revs are making a real solid run with Crew folding

HOW SWEAT IT IS !

2. petezuke17

petezuke17 Member

May 7, 2003
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adin is good

Manny is not clutch and I'm getting an ulcer.

For what I saw tonight, switching back and forth, the Revs looked like Sh#t for the first 40 min. awful

Looked like a totally different team in the second half.

By the way Adin is good

3. Danizinho

Danizinho New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    If the Revs whoop up on an opponent and the Sox are playing on another station, does it still count? :)

Good one by the Revs - too bad nobody saw it.

A show of hands please: I want to know who the nine people were that were watching the Revs v Burn on FSNE tonight [while Sox v A's Game 3 on ABC was on].

4. Tmax

Tmax Member

Apr 10, 2000
    Vermont
    Right here Danizinho and proud of it :)
    A great one to watch, too.

.. but I did switch at the before and after the Revs.

5. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um. when I saw "switching back and forth" I was confused with the Manny reference because I thought it was switching between Revs-Dallas and Chi-LA like I was! Seriously, I saw the Sox score once during the Revs match across the bottom of the screen and I believe they were ahead 1-0. I guess maybe they are still playing? Am I supposed to care? The Revs are looking great, they can catch DC next Sat. and we can watch WWC semis and a Mutts loss tomorrow, life is good!

6. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why else would God have invented the remote control?

7. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweet win. Cancela seems to get better with every game, just wish he would shoot once in a while. Good to see Taylor hit the back of the net. Noonan should get reconginition for rookie of the year. Ralph will win it but, this guy is pretty damn good. Adin kept this game in check the first half. Daude played fairly well, did have a few lapses but for the most part the defense played well.

8. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    btw,,,anyone see anything strange about rusty's right eye during the half time piece? looked kinda glossy to me.....maybe it was just the light or something

9. Tony Biscaia

Tony Biscaia Member

Feb 17, 1999
    The Red Sox were playing tonight??

Damn, all week I must have been listening to the wrong radio station, watching the wrong TV channels and reading the wrong newspapers, because I didn't even know about it.

All I saw and heard was Revolution, Revolution, and more Revolution... there's an antibaseball bias in this town I tell ya.

Doc, you certainly have a way with words.

10. Tony Biscaia

Tony Biscaia Member

Feb 17, 1999
    Oh ya, and let me be the first to say that the Revs players consistently get screwed on assists.

Shalrie Joseph had two great assists this season that never registered, including one that Noonan described post-game as a great restart that sprung him for a goal, and another where Noonan got the assist instead, on a play when he never even touched the ball.

And tonight, Twellman gets no credit for a short pass that sprung Noonan in to deke Dunseth for his goal.

Hopefully that non-assist call won't cost Taylor this year's MLS scoring championship.

Anybody else happen to check MLSnet.com scores during the game, and see that they originally had Joseph's goal UNASSISTED? How could that be when it was directly off a corner kick pass by Cancela... glad they corrected that one.

11. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An interesting tactic that the Revs seemed to abandon sometime after the first fifteen minutes tonight was Cancela passing forward (usually to Twellman) to a player who first-touched it back to midfield or wide. Did anyone else notice this? During this stretch the Revs also played very withdrawn, not exploiting the alleged space in midfield. Adin was huge to keep the Revs competitive through the first half.

I also was struck by TnT's expression after the first goal. There was no smile. In fact, Feldman mention that TnT might have hurt his foot in the celebration after the first goal. If by celebration he meant the way Taylor cut around his own player to get back to the center circle to take the kick, then maybe, but otherwise there was nothing at all like a celebration. He was a man with a mission. Nice to see him take the goal scoring lead back from the little flopping fishy. Through out PKs and TnT is head and shoulders above every other striker in the league.

Interesting stat as well that the Revs are now currently (with SJ not playing yet this week) the top goal scoring team in the league. Of course, the problem is that only Dallas have conceded more goals.

12. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the Red Sox won, too!

:D:D

I watched both, switching.

13. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assuming the Scoring Leaders chart on the MLS home page doesn't reflect any scoring from tonight, the update should show Twellman moving ahead of Ruiz into second behind Preki.

Preki 37 (2 assists tonight)
    Twellman 34
    Ruiz 31

14. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like this discussion starts once all the Sox fans finish watching the tape. I hope you all set your VCRs correctly, it would be a shame to miss this match, it was a good one.

15. Jambon

Jambon Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Congrats on the win. I think Cancela is going to be a big player for you guys in the future. He serves up maybe the best looking corners I've ever seen in MLS.

16. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i watched the sox til 8:30, switched to the Revs, then watched the end of the sox game. for me, Revs are more important then the sox. And by the way, I so called the two goals by Twellman. I even called the 1 goal from noonan. Enough gloating, I'm proud of our team and i love our chances of making the playoffs.

17. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the Noonan goal I shouted "pass" since TnT was open. Little did I know that Noonan would screw Dunseth into the ground and beat the keeper far post. A very pretty goal indeed.

18. oiRevArmyoi

oiRevArmyoi New Member

Jul 1, 2003
    Boston
    I must be the only person who doesn't give a rats ass about baseball in general...

Oh sweet sweet win.

19. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone have any info as to why Franchino was out? My guess was that SN sat him to not expose all of his card endangered defenders at the same time against a team we should be able to beat with some reserves in the line up. (He may be taking lessons from Sir Alex F) It was a real bonus that Bryan Hall was able to call a match and give no cards. Also nice to see Marshall Leonard able to handle the left back position against the Burn speedy trio.

Now if the MUTTS will just fold against SJ (HUGE Smile)

20. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Word was that Franchino took a knock in training Friday on that excuse for turf at Dragon. He was described as day to day.

And I seemed to have missed an assist by Preki...

Preki 38
    TnT 34
    Floppin' fishie 31
    Landon of Nazareth 30 (and he plays today)

21. Brazile

Brazile Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Arlington, MA, USA
    Brad reported that he was injured in training on the turf at Dragon Stadium Friday. Don't recall further specifics.

22. JohnnyRev

JohnnyRev Member

Feb 23, 2001
    Boston, MA
    It was Revs all the way in the JohnnyRev household. After overcoming my initial nausea at the sight of those football lines and horrible black rectangular areas -- or maybe it was the pizza -- it was great to see the Revs come back from an awful start.

Heaps once again failed to close down his man and gave up a cross into the box, with Marshall Leonard letting his man score. I had a bad feeling about Leonard all night, but fortunately he played better in the last hour.

I, too, noticed TnT's odd reaction after the first goal, when he raced to the bench with a grim look on his face. His foot must have been stepped on when he took the shot.

Shalrie was huge again. The Shalrie/Cancela combination in midfied is great to watch. How many teams have a midfielder like Cancela who can dribble, avoid the defense, and run right up the middle? And Shalrie is becoming one of the best at heading the ball into the net -- not over the net, but down and in on one bounce.

If Ralston ever gets his offense going, this team will step it up another notch.

23. jmsullivan

jmsullivan Member

Sep 14, 2000
    Fairhaven Ma.
    No your not. I'm a one sport fan. Soccer, all soccer and nothing but soccer, year round. The rest I don't care for. No offense to fans of other sports intended.

24. Ross

Ross Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Straight outta Qtown
    Good for them

I was out and didn't catch either, other than what was on the little tv in the lounge of the restaurant, and you know it wasn't the Revs.

I don't feel any obligation to discount other local fans or another sport's success. IMO as long as it's a Boston or NE team winning, it's a good thing. Of course, it's even better when it's the Revs.

How sweat it is indeed. Now, on to the DC game!

amy

ps "Cowboy up" is dumb.
    pps I submit that Yankees suck.

25. Jim Dow

Jim Dow New Member

Mar 20, 1999
    Belmont, MA
    ......I must be the only person who doesn't give a rats ass about baseball in general....

Oh sweet sweet win.

Reply w/Quote