[POST] Bowen at it Again in Kids Post :: 4/14 :: "Hey, Let's Remember the Goal!"

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by JayRockers!, Apr 14, 2006.

1. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis

Sounds like a good plan.

One question; how are they supposed to learn the cheat codes for their games if they can't read?

2. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't know.

Cheat codes are something they won't share with Dad. :mad:

3. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know that you've really got it bad when, early this morning in that stage of getting up where you're halfway between deep sleep and wakefulness, you start ruminating about Bowen's idiotic kiddie page Post article. That's what I did this morning. And, I eventually came to the conclusion that the article really wasn't worthy of my continued concentration because Bowen is such a dolt that he doesn't even realize that MLS can't unilaterally change the laws of the game without turning MLS into (1) a laughingstock and (2) an international outlaw.

That's not to say that I'd be per se opposed to any tinkering with the game whatsoever. I didn't mind the "golden goal" overtime period that MLS had until a couple of years ago -- that was kinda fun. And, IMO, it would be a good thing if refs started calling pulling & grabing consistently.

But, on the whole, it seems to me that most rule changes that have been made in other sports seem to have resulted in cheap thrills at the expense of that game's integrity, strategy and fundamentals. Take the adoption of the shot clock in college and high school basketball, for example. Maybe, it's because I'm from Indiana -- but, hey, I could appreciate the tactics and tenseness involved when an overmatched team tried to pull off a stall in the closing minutes of a tight game. I suppose that the North Carolina four corners offense just wasn't good enough T.V. for the unwashed masses, but I digress . . .

And, that's the beef I really have to pick with Bowen. What this guy really wants to do is dumb down soccer until it get's to the same level of stupidity as modern day basketball. What this moron proposes doing is exactly what's been done with basketball. And, that's to make the game completely unwatchable for anyone who has the slightest sense of appreciation for the intelligence, skill and drama involved in a well-played game.

But, hey, are we Internet Nuts truly off our rockers by running off several pages of comment on Bowen's stupid kiddie page article? I suggest not -- especially if we consider these words of wisdom from legendary Liverpool manager Bill Stankey:

"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I'm very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that."

4. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    I will grant that this is silly, and mom always said don't get in a fight with a drunk (journalistically speaking).

That said, as a Post subscriber you do have some leverage. We wouldn't want them to print the news as they wished it was (cue Washington Times ad here).

The "article" really is shockingly bad.

5. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know I'll get killed for this, but what is so "shockingly bad" about it? It's his opinion. I think it's a stupid opinion, but why is his opinion bad if it doesn't jibe with most soccer fans?

Yeah, he's ignorant on the FIFA specifics, but I certainly hope the Post wouldn't stop this guy from expressing his opinion just because it rankles soccer fans. In fact, even the thought that soccer fans would want thatis, in my opinion, part of the reason soccer has trouble gaining traction at some times. Not everyone has to walk in lockstep.

6. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Obviously everyone has the right to his or her own opinion, however misguided. BigSoccer is the ultimate proof of that.

My objection to this guy is that I get the sense that he doesn't understand the game or the ramifications of what he's suggesting. And he suggests it again and again.

Worse, his audience is ostensibly composed of impressionable kids who could really use better, more informed sources of knowledge.

7. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA

You mean you don't want each team to get 5 timeouts, on top of the 8 additional advertisement breaks?

8. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, I didn't know until last month that the NCAA requires refs to call a specified number of "official timeouts" per game for television commercials during the NCAA Div. I basketball tournament.

Guess that I really went off on a Dennis Miller-like screed yesterday. Oh, well.

9. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    He does this about many sports besides soccer. Really football and baseball are the only things I ever see him write about positively. I think he should just be ignored.

10. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Of course not. 6 for a goal and then you take a PK for the 7th point.

11. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Genius. I'm getting Don Garber on the phone right now.

12. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Without a keeper, it's an extra point.

With a keeper it's a two point conversion.:p

13. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    For the anti-Bowen check out the article in this weekend's Post Magazine by Jim Haner, very nice piece with a vey different tone.

14. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I just pooped and it looked a lot like Bowen.

15. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. wyastarr

wyastarr New Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Takoma Park, MD
  17. DCAustinite

DCAustinite New Member

Jan 14, 2003
    NE DC in my heart -
    Club:
    DC United
  18. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow.

Anyone want to send France an analysis of all the stupid crap that was tried in the USL back a few years ago? It might save them some time. It's always seemed to me that the most effective way to improve scoring was to harshly punish cynical defensive tactics.

19. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    Did I miss something? 4 goals for United not enough this week? To satisfy Bowen maybe we should play les vaches every week:)

20. rockypere77

rockypere77 Member

Aug 27, 2005
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    who is this guy? Looks like he got beat up by that Bat in the picture.

21. shepchews

shepchews Member

Apr 28, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would enjoy it if each team were allowed ten minutes of a dune buggy with flamethrowers once a match. and somehow if we could have monkey fights.

22. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember six-a-side tournaments in Maryland where a goal was two points and forcing a corner counted as one.

23. wyastarr

wyastarr New Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Takoma Park, MD
    I played in a co-rec league where during the end-of-season turnament, if a game went to overtime, one player from each team was removed from the field every 5 minutes until the golden goal occurred. Let's be clear here, we were a bunch of co-rec soccer players. We were dead on our feet at the end of the first half. This was a comical tactic for "closing" the game. I actually made it to 3-on-3 dead people once

P.S. has anyone ever seen a dune buggy that DIDN'T have a "for sale" sign on it?

24. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have seen field hockey use this strategy, going to 7-on-7 in overtime, at least at the high school level. It made the game more interesting. Not saying it will do the same for soccer, but I don't think it's that outlandish of an idea. I think it works better at lower skill levels to get the better players room to move.