Post Article on Uncle Phil

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by roundfootball, Nov 21, 2004.

1. mikedett

mikedett New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Springfield, Va. USA
    Club:
    DC United
    an interesting read...

24,000 seats ...not bad... crossing assorted appendages.. :cool:

2. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    I think one of the most important things about the article is its placement on page A1 of the Post. So its not just sports news but front page general news. Makes me think that the Post considers a soccer stadium a serious possibility and not just talk.

The article confirms that Kevin Payne is Anschutz' point man on the stadium deal and leaves the impression that serious negotiations are taking place.

Lots of interesting stuff about Anschutz, the growth of his business empire, and his conservative politics. One item that reassured me was that his the potential for legal problems (surrounding Qwest and its accounting practices) seems to be receding. The NY Attorney General, Spitzer, had been after Anschutz at one point but they've reached some sort of out of court settlement that left Uncle Phil more or less unblemished. (I thought that case was still pending)

I thought MLS could be in serious jeopardy 2 years ago when Qwest was drawing some media comparisons to Enron and Uncle Phil was the main owner for half the league.

3. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    I also thought it was great that the article appeared in the front page and mentioned DC United.

I was also a little nervous about MLS a few years ago because of Qwest.

4. Ricky_DCU

Ricky_DCU New Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    While I am certainly not enamored of his politics, as long as he doesn't make James Dobson coach of DC United I'll remain grateful for everything he does for soccer in the US.

Does anyone else think it's ironic that DC United changed hands from George Soros to Phil Anschutz?

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I've pondered that many times.

I bet he was jacked back in 98 when his Fire team beat Soros' United in MLS Cup!

6. ignatz

ignatz New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Washington, DC
    I'm sure both George and Phil agree on at least one thing -- the first billion dollars is the hardest.

7. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's what heartened me...

" With a penchant for acting on a grand scale, Anschutz, 64, has a way of instantly becoming a major player in any scene and any city he enters.

Now, the Denver investor is on the cusp of becoming a major presence in Washington with ambitious plans for soccer team D.C. United and his new ownership of the area's Journal Newspapers Inc. "

Looks like entry has been made.

One other indicator (maybe). I've never gotten an invoice for season tickets before, so maybe this is normal...but it was from Anschutz D.C. Soccer L.L.C., DBA D.C. United. Could be I'm reading too much into this, but it's reassuring to see the Anschutz label there.

8. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I thought it quite funny.

On some conservatvie message boards last summer, when Sorosmania was at its height, I noted that my objection to Soros was not connected as much to Move On as to his "moving on" from DC United!

9. vivzig

vivzig New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    The OC
  10. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    I hopeful, but wouldn't read (pun) too much in to the newspaper angle. He already has a San Francisco paper and that hasn't sealed the deal for a Quakes SSS.

11. 79United

79United Member

Apr 10, 2000
    SW DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am I the only one concerned that it looks as if AEG is bailing out of MLS. Selling Colorado, and trying to sell SJE and DCU. I guess I was misinformed before but I thought DC was making money, or at least breaking even. I though the league had reversed it's financial decline. Guess not.

TS.

12. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Placido Domingo, the world's premier tenor and head of the Washington and Los Angeles Opera companies, owned a piece of DC United at one time - perhaps with Soros. If we could get him back in as an owner, at least the National Anthem wouldn't be murdered before every match.

13. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    It's not healthy for the league to have just one owner. He's not bailing. He's ensuring its future. What if he took ill and his kids don't like soccer? What if some scandal took down all his money (read up on "Qwest"). Some people consider MLS a joke with guys owning multiple teams. I wasn't impressed a few years ago when it happened. It gives rise to suspicions of things being fixed. The ideal setup is one owner per team. But thankfully AEG seems set to only sell to credible owners that can support the league (billionaires Kroenke and LA rights to billionare Vergara). Checketts seems like the real deal. Amanpour doesn't so AEG is looking elsewhere. What makes you think this doesn't mean that the league is reversing its finances? The league isn't profitable yet and doesn't plan to be for some time. It'll reinvest any small profits into its growth. LA and Columbus are the only currently reported profitable teams, but I wouldn't be surprised if DC made a jump towards that this year with attendance up and a championship. Do you think AEG owning the whole league would be a good thing? Most sure don't. I think you're way off in your conclusion.

14. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC United never has been profitable due to their stadium situation. That's why you see a league-wide push to own and operate stadiums. That's where the money is.

DC pays something like 60K per game, and gets maybe 10% of parking and consession revenue. Also, they do not get to hire stadium services and security staff. When there is no soccer game, MLS gets nothing.

When MLS owns the stadium, they get all of the parking, all of the consessions, and they control the customer experience by hiring the staff. And the big part is that the rest of the year they can make money off of the stadium by staging other events. National team games, womens, games, American Football, soccer tournaments, concerts, rallies, whatever. And the parking for those. And the consessions.

It could be that MLS will still 'lose' money, but AEG (or whoever is connected with the league and 'owns' the stadium) will be doing fine. Some corporate tax expert should chime in here with the best scenario.

15. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Dude, you better watch it. Talons B tch is going to negative rep your ass!

;)

16. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I found the article quite interesting and just kept thinking, "Why couldn't it be me?" The Regal Cinema thing seems to have turned into quite the cash cow for him. There was mention that he invested 500 million, but last year received dividends of 700 million. Damn!

17. 79United

79United Member

Apr 10, 2000
    SW DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Points well taken. Perhaps now I can pull my head out of my ass.

TS.

18. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000

Steps for acquiring wealth -
    First, get a billion dollars
    Second, invest 1/2 where the return is 140% very quickly
    Third, invest in the perennial MLS cup champion ;)

19. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    He did?

I'm pretty sure I'd have remembered that, and, I don't.

20. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure he's right. I read it somewhere else on these boards recently. I think it was back in the early days of MLS.

21. Ricky_DCU

Ricky_DCU New Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    Yeah, Soros headed a group of investors that included Placido Domingo.

22. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, I definitely went wrong somewhere.

23. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "no child left behind" is working here..

i be learning new thingses every day.

24. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Our tax dollars at work.