Post article on DCSEC

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Dave Brother, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A21990-2003Sep16.html

Now that DCSEC has squandered most of there surplus cash trying to lure MLB to DC, now they have to cut costs. From what I get, there budget is made up mostly of stadium revenue. Does this mean higher prices to park? Higher food and beer prices? I spoke to Dan Giffen today about ticket prices. United has to base there price on what DCSEC charges for the use of the stadium. Are we going to have to pony up more cash to make up for the money Goldwater has spent whoring to MLB. I sure hope not.

United is THE major tenant of RFK as far as I can tell. Now that WUSA is no more, what other source of income do they have? The occational HFStival or stray concert? Goldwater makes more than anyone in the DC government. I say start trimming costs at the top.

2. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Just great. I'm sure season ticket costs were going to go up anyway, but to have to bail out yet another waste of money by the District....

Sachin

3. grumpydcu

grumpydcu Member

Jan 1, 2002
    MD
    Is DCU's lease on RFK an annual lease or for several years? If it needs to be renewed again for next year, better buy a big jar of vaseline.

What does it take for AEG to cut their ties with this bunch of incompetent, double talking, dumb a$$es and start talking seriously with the Maryland Stadium Authority. There is no way the DCSEC will ever do anything to help get a SSS built.

4. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    If DCSEC was smart they'd just wash their hands of RFK and sign a long term lease w/ DCU to manage the facility (perhaps w/ a "buy out" clause that would allow a baseball team to take over just in case). That would turn a business operation that is losing money into a pure revenue stream for the district. I'm sure DCU would love to run RFK and would do a better job.

5. Victory

Victory Member

Sep 20, 2000
    RFK LOT 8
    We really need Maryland to rescue us from the pitt that is D.C. I love RFK but it is going to piss me off if ticket prices go up to bail out those pieces of *#*#*#*#.

6. TCompton

TCompton Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Alexandria
    this is just a general comment, but sometimes I think that political persons should be held accountable for the squandering of public funds... maybe under a gross negligence clause or something.

the problem sometimes seems to be that "birds of a feather flock together," i.e., politicians seem to protect themselves.

7. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get so ANGRY thinking about how incompetent and crooked DC is. I'll try to keep this short --

Point#1: Yes - they're charging $15 bucks for the privilege of parking on Sunday for the WWC. Grub the $'s while you can and gouge as many people as possible. I'm sure it will be as smoothly run as the Barcelona game was.

Point#2: DC United/AEG should make DC BEG us to stay. What are they going to do? They have NOTHING else - the sooner we leave RFK, the better.

8. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *#*#*#*# YOU DCSEC!
    AND *#*#*#*# RALPH NADER for that *#*#*#*#ed up letter he wrote. "blah blah blah, im a useless twat.. if they want a better stadium build it themselves.. blah blah blah *#*#*#*# me in my butt, my names ralph nader and i like little boys"

9. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    [​IMG]

10. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

i just have alot of built up anger.

And really, i'd rather blow my anger on ralph nader than on kids at school ya know ;)

11. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time to put on the "Hulk Hands"

12. Darth_Norteno

Darth_Norteno New Member

It's amazing that "Mayor" Williams apparently is blind, deaf and dumb where DCSEC and Goldwater are concerned. The waste and corruption is terribly evident, yet nothing will get done. Maybe Fox 5 needs to launch an investigation; that's the only way his administration gets any damn thing done up there. It's obvious that baseball isn't coming to DC anytime soon since the Expos are gonna play a quarter of their games in friggin' Mexico next season, but those idiots at DCSEC can't take the hint. United is IT as far as RFK is concerned.

13. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know why you're misdirecting your anger at Ralph Nader. He's not the cause of DCSEC taking DC United for granted. The only way DC United will get a better deal is to go elsewhere.

I don't think that getting negotiations started with UMD or any other place will be enough to get DCSEC to be realistic. I think that they believe they can name the terms. Therefore, DC United must go somewhere else. Once DCSEC has an empty stadium with no revenue will reality finally be forced upon them. Look, even the disasters of the past three years has not caused them to take any serious action (strike a deal with baseball, deal with DC United, fire Goldwater, no nothing.) They went from $18mil to close to $0, screwed up with the Grand Prix, screwed up with the DC Marathon, failed to get the Olympics, wasted millions that could have been used in the district instead of pissed away, and you're bugging Ralph Nader? Come on! Focus!

14. bofahey

bofahey Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Washington, DC
    On a serious note, why do you think DCSEC takes DC United for granted? Aside from typical bigsoccer rumor and innuendo, what facts do you have to support that statement?

Has Kevin Payne said that? Has Stephen Zack? When I heard, Kevin Payne on WMAL, I believe he said something to the effect of: "We have a very good relationship with DCSEC and Bobby Goldwater... but we have not made as much progress with the City Council as we'd like." I think that's essentially what Stephen said to Dyson as well.

Mayor Williams just toured Carson a few months ago. Why would he do that if he didn't care about DC United?

15. Victory

Victory Member

Sep 20, 2000
    RFK LOT 8
    1. RFK is a worthless pit (although loveable) with major problems that have yet to be fixed.

2. Reference all the post about the problems with the operation of the stadium from gates not being open, to other fire hazards, to parking lot debacles.

3. We have no stadium and DCSEC is dragging its feet while throwing million of dollars away on mlb and othe fiascos.

Are Payne and Zak supposed to say that DCSEC is a bunch or worthless punks, of course not. What they have said, specifically with regards to the stadium issue is that they are not very happy with the progress being made.

I am sure that Mayor Williams tax payer trip to Carson had nothing to do with say the weather in LA.

As much as the commute would suck DCU is going the way of the redskins - to Maryland.