Possibly our best signing.

Discussion in 'Liverpool FC History' started by usscouse, Nov 4, 2020.

1. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    The Liverpool Nobody Knows Tour
    rt1fl fNoSpSvSdeuounumrbsourofer el20td15 ·
    Joseph Louis Barrow, 'Joe Louis' (1914-1981) an American, was the world heavyweight boxing champion from 1937 to 1949.
    During the Second World War, Joe Louis enlisted in the United States Army. The U.S Army placed him in a 'Special Services Division' - Joe Louis would spend the war touring the world and staging boxing exhibitions.
    Joe Louis would later be sent to the U.K. On the 3rd July 1944, he arrived in Liverpool. He spent his first day here playing golf in Formby - his second day here would be extremely busy.
    The 4th July 1944 began with Joe Louis visiting local hospitals. He then paid a visit to Liverpool Football Club. The Liverpool manager, George Kay produced a Football League amateur form which Joe Louis signed. So technically, Joe Louis had signed for Liverpool FC.......but the form was never officially registered, it did hang in the Liverpool FC boardroom for many years though. Joe Louis was later photographed training with the Liverpool FC squad.
    Later that day, Joe Louis and his sparring partner, George Nicholson, staged a three round exhibition bout at the Liverpool Stadium. The Liverpool Echo noted that Joe Louis only seemed to punch with his left hand during the bout. The Liverpool Echo supposed that Joe Louis had signed so many autographs in Liverpool that his right hand was tired!
    During his stay in Liverpool, Joe Louis said simply -
    "I am a man of few words but I just want to say I'm glad to be here."
    Joe Louis (on right) with his sparring partner, George Nicholson (on left) - England, 1944.

Joe Louis.jpg

el-capitano repped this.