Possible U.S Summer tour

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by vthokies1996, Apr 20, 2006.

1. vthokies1996

vthokies1996 Member

Aug 7, 2004
    Leesburg
    http://blog.washingtonpost.com/worldcup/2006/04/celtic_and_liverpool_to_washin.html

Article states that DC United are in talks to play both Celtic and Liverpool at RFK this summer. Dates mentioned are July 9th for Celtic and August 2nd for Liverpool.

Not sure if this will happen. I seem to remember reading that Liverpool wanted to limit their summer tour, and possibly stay close to home this summer due to their long season this year.

2. Shaolin

Shaolin New Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Calgary
    I'd love to see them go on tour in North America.. I went to Seattle twice.. once to see Man U vs Celtic and then Chelsea vs. Celtic.. too bad ChampionsWorld went out of business..

3. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    didnt they do America a few years back???

and didnt they cancel the Japan/ Asia tour earlier this year?

I think its Asia's turn again somehow- help build that fan base

4. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think it is highly unlikely there will be an overseas tour this year, given that our season started last year in July, we travelled to Japan, there is a World Cup in which most of our players are going to be involved and we may be in the Champions League play-offs.

5. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. Now is it possible that a team of second string and youth players labeled LFC could tour? I'd say that's unlikely too. American supporters and even routine MLS fans wouldn't be fooled and it would lower the brand name. Now Celtic would be another story. Spartak London has announced it will play the MLS first 11 all-stars in Chicago August 5. It will be interesting to see what team they put on the pitch.