Possible Team Names for OKC

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by KCFAN, Jul 28, 2002.

1. KCFAN

KCFAN New Member

Jan 2, 2002
    Edmond, OK
    I know this is probably premature, and may in fact ruin the whole thing, but what the heck. First off, if we do get a team here, I think the first thing we need to do in naming the team is STAY AWAY FROM COWBOY/WESTERN REFERENCES. The state's stereotype is bad enough without further promoting it. On that note, I would be in favor of naming the team something like OK FC or FC OK as I think it needs to be a state team and not an OKC thing. If the powers that be decide it needs to have a retarded nickname to "Americanize" the team, I think Oklahoma Thunder is a good name. Thoughts?

2. ax319

ax319 New Member

Jul 7, 2002
    The problem with naming it OK FC is that it isnt marketable to your average American plus i dont think we need to copy europe in everything they do.
    my nickname idea is Oklahoma Renegades.

3. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oklahoma City Toros...or Twisters?

4. For some reason I just really like Oklahoma Americans F.C. These are the reasons (I've mentioned this before, sort of): a) In my short time in the States and Oklahoma, I've seen the great deal of American pride and patriotism Oklahomans have (not to say it is any greater than those in other states.) b) Oklahoma City is trying to position itself as a 21st century American city. Along with this, MLS is trying to sell itself as a sport for 21st century America. It just seems to fit. c) This is just kind of a funny thing that would go with the name, but if the conservative Oklahoma press is against the team, they could be accused as "anti-American." Well, I thought that was funny anyway. Plus Americans F.C. has that classic football sound.

All this said, I'd bet on an Americanised, more "marketable" team name. Just thought I'd give my thoughts.

cheers,

sfbloke

5. The Voice of Reason!

Jan 6, 2002
    Wethersfield CT
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not that I like weather related names(in any of our professional sports leagues), however OKC has been hit by more tornados than any other city in the world. a fact that could easily have us rooting against the twisters, cyclones, tornados, dust devils... wait I like dust devils. when they come to town
    I also like roughnecks

6. Soccer-Six-Shooter

Soccer-Six-Shooter New Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    OKLAHOMA OCTANE !

or

OKLAHOMA LATERS
    as opposed to Sooners

by Soccer-6-Shooter

7. nowhere

nowhere New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    How about the:
    Oklahoma Cities

Signature - I'm a cheap bastard

8. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oklahoma Boomers...Incidentally...I thought of a good name should St. Louis ever get a team...the St. Louis Archers!!

9. HertaBerwyn_old

HertaBerwyn_old New Member

Mar 14, 2000
    Chicago, IL USA
    name

OK FC?

Would they be sponsored by a chicken chain?

Boomers is the name for those who waited until the start of the land-rush (Sooners jumped the gun)

Will Rogers is a local star. Maybe the Lariats?
    How about the Amfos?

10. benine

benine New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    Chicago
    Re: name

Will is too eastern oklahoma to be an OKC name. I say we embrace another famous oklahoman:
    The Oklahoma Woodies!

yeah...

11. NACIONAL

NACIONAL New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Medellin, Colombia
    Oklahoma Rapids....

just joking above...

well i say Oklahoma City SC

[note]Not a lot of thinking isn't it????[/note]

12. Preston McMurry

Preston McMurry New Member

Jul 28, 1999
    Earth
    How about the Itwillneverhappens?

Barring that, I vote for Fusion FC.

13. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Claim Jumpers?
    The Reservation?
    The Panhandlers?
    The Frontiersmen?
    The Tornado?
    and a PC nickname - The Injuns ;)

It's too bad Sooners is so associated with the University because that is a great and colorful nickname and story.

14. Nothus

Nothus New Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. I think names that pay homage to local history or culture are much better than some bland animal-or-phenomena name that could be from anywhere. I agree that something like "cowboys" is a bit trite, but sticking with the frontier theme could be fun. A name based on Oklahoma's Native American influences would be unique, but sports names of this genre tend to be a seen as racially stereotyped.

Ideas:

Drovers
    Oilers
    Tumbleweeds (lame)

15. KCFAN

KCFAN New Member

Jan 2, 2002
    Edmond, OK
    Tulsa has a minor league hockey team called the oilers. i think that puts it out of contention. The arena football team they had here was the wranglers and everyone here (that i know of) thought it was dumb.

16. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    For the 3rd time.

Oklahoma Rangers
    OK Rovers
    OK Wanderers
    OK Dokey
    Ok Cowboys
    OK Cowpokes
    OK Tumbleweeds
    OKCFC
    OKC Broncos
    OKC Stallions
    OKC Tornados
    OKC Storm
    OKC Express

17. d8n_two

d8n_two New Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Stillwater
    Too close regionally to the Texas Rangers baseball team. In fact, OKC's and Tulsa's (for time being) baseball teams are both farm clubs of the Rangers.

Oklahoma State University is the Cowboys. Cowpokes and Pokes are derivatives used to refer to their athletic teams.

Tumbleweeds is a gawd-awful country dance club/bar in Stillwater, OK. I just personally object due to my hatred for that establishment.

Oklahoma's (Enid) USBL basketball team is named the Oklahoma Storm and has a tornado as it's logo.

This could happen if Express Sports is the I/O and they say screw you we're naming the team after ourselves.

d8n_two

18. dcunited81

dcunited81 Member

Jul 18, 2001
    Green Bay, WI
    I personally have to say that I would be in favor of Oklahoma City SC, not only does it satisfy those of us who believe in proper names, but I also think it would be a great way to get rid of those ridiculous animal and weather related nicknames. I would also be in favor of something giving to the culture and history of the city or state. Maybe something to honor the OKC bombing victims. Just a thought. After all, in American football the greatest team is the Packers :) and they are named in honor of one of the industries in the area here. Maybe that's another idea. I am clueless as to what kind of industry and buisnesses besides oil and cowboys are in the area. Please enlighten me and maybe I can come up with a few more options.

19. d8n_two

d8n_two New Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Stillwater
    We should probably just wait to see if either Tulsa or OKC even get a team. It's all a lot of "talk" and "investigating" right now with no substantial leads on a stadium.

If Tulsa were to get it, it will probably be the Roughnecks (though I don't care for the name, it pays homage to Tulsa's soccer past -- just get a new logo). If OKC would happen to get it, I think there are a lot of names that could represent the state well, but keep with the traditional soccer club naming. I still like my Oklahoma Americans S.C. idea, but who knows.

We'll have to wait and see.

d8n_two