Possible soccer turf war in Rochester?

Discussion in 'Rochester Rhinos' started by RobtheAggie, Feb 5, 2014.

1. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    You might not have seen this covered elsewhere, but the threat that a NPSL club poses to any professional side is equivalent to what a child with with a toy cap gun poses to a tank.

3. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, but my larger question is with the frustration with the Rhinos by the local fanbase. Have they reached such a point of disgust that they would choose to support a NPSL team over the Rhinos? I hope not.

On a more positive note, could the two teams work in concert to develop players? Would it be possible for the Rhinos to do short term loans to the NPSL team to give younger players, or those who are stuck on the bench playing time? I am not sure about the relationships between the USL Pro and NPSL. Or would the professional nature of the players prohibit their playing with the amateurs in the NPSL? I would assume that with the number of quality college programs in the area, that the existing Buffalo team, plus the rumored Rochester and Syracuse expansion teams could do quite well.

4. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great, another copycat Rapids shield.

7. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The National Premier Soccer League (NPSL) is proud to announce that the Rochester River DogZ(Rochester, NY) have joined the league as an expansion team. The club will compete in the Midwest Region.
    “Rochester is a great soccer city with a great tradition in the American game,” NPSL Chairman Joe Barone commented. “We are very excited to see our league continue to grow in the Midwest and we are confident that the River DogZ will be a great success story.”
    Home matches will take place at Boulter Field in Webster, NY. It features a grass playing surface along with full amenities like restrooms, a concession stand, press box, locker rooms, and a full sound system.
    The River DogZ will be led by an ownership group of five individuals and Head Coach Matt Tantalo.
    General Manager Marc Mandell, served in the Air Force as a military policeman during Operation Enduring Freedom. He has over 25 years of experience playing and coaching soccer. Markijan Lylak, who will serve as Vice President, is a career firefighter/EMT in Greece, NY. He has over 25 years of experience in soccer from playing to organizing teams.
    President Kurt B. Odenbach is a transactional attorney in Rochester, NY. He is active in various charitable organizations in the Rochester community, serving as Corporate Secretary for Salty Dog Charities and Corporate Officer for the Committee of 25. Robert Raufeisen, who will serve as Equipment Manager, is a United States Air Force veteran. He has worked in the building industry for 30 years and has played soccer for over 40 years.
    Nick Mojsovski, who will serve as Treasurer and Secretary, has over 30 years of experience playing and coaching soccer. He earned his M.B.A. from the Rochester Institute of Technology with a concentration in international business. Tantalo has coached Keuka College for 11 seasons, guiding them to an impressive 104-62-16 record and posting 10 winning seasons in his 11 years. He possesses both a USSF “B” license and a NSCAA National Diploma.
    “Our passion for soccer and our business acumen will make us a model NPSL franchise,” Mandell added. “We will recruit top players to ensure that we will field a competitive team. By providing a top class game day experience, we will make Rochester a place fans and away teams look forward to visiting.
    Beginning with only one team in 2012, the organization grew to six teams, including two teams competing in the Men’s Open Premier Division, the top league in Rochester. Other teams included a Men’s Division 2 squad, two men’s Over 30 squads, and a Women’s Division 1 squad. Their philosophy will provide an avenue to recruit local youth players to further prepare them for collegiate competition and beyond.
    “We were looking to take our team to the next level and the NPSL fits everything we were looking for,” Mandell concluded. “We like that the NPSL operates and is managed as a team-run league and the opportunities it provides us to run our club in a professional environment cost effectively.”
    More information about the River DogZ can be found at www.riverdogzfc.com or by following them on Twitter (@riverdogzfc), Instagram (@riverdogzfc), and Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/riverdogzfc).

RobtheAggie repped this.
  8. Flowercitysupporter

Sep 23, 2015
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    hopefully local talent can be better developed leading to better soccer in rochester. i hope they can do something with the rhinos as in player loans and such. i can see this team being a place for the local college talent to play in the offseason then hopefully make the jump to the pros with the rhinos

9. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope the two work together as well. This could be a good thing. The Rhinos and the Buffalo team seem to have a relationship already.

10. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    from various sources I'm not getting much of those feel good vibes...but I guess time will tell. For the good of the game I truly hope that I'm proved wrong.

11. Flowercitysupporter

Sep 23, 2015
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    when i did hear about this...about a month ago, i asked if they would work together and the answer i got was no they will be independent, but as you said time will tell because by my guess the new team could use help and some resources from the bigger team/club in rochester

12. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    Rochester River Dogz FC
    April 18 at 7:23pm ·
    With our season kicking off (see what I did there) in less than a month, I want to talk to you more in detail about why we decided to bring a new pro soccer team to the Greater Rochester area.
    The first reason is a pretty selfish one - all of us involved with this team, including the owners, front office staff and coaches - we LOVE this game. When we're not talking about the River Dogz, we're talking about the Champions League, the EPL, La Liga, MLS and of course the US Men'...s National Team. We passionately argue about who the best teams are, the best players, the best coaches, the best tactics and formations. That passion for the game fueled our ownership group to start the River Dogz - with a focus on bringing a new and unique soccer experience to the Greater Rochester area.
    Sure, there are a lot of great soccer teams out there that you can support - so what makes us different and why should you become a River Dogz supporter? I think that there are a couple of things that make us unique. One of those things would be our core values: Community Building, Player Development, Giving Back & Dedication. These aren't just words on paper for us. We really try to use these core values to inform the decisions that we make - all with one thought in mind - how to create the best experience for our fans that we possibly can.
    One area I'll touch on in this post is Player Development. My friend and our Head Coach, Matt Tantalo, has been hard at work with our GM Marc Mandell to create a great mix of young, talented players (like Nikkye de Point, Rochester native and U-17 USMNT centerback) and savvy, experienced veterans like former Rhino forward Isaac Kissi and former Lancer defender Jake Schindler. The River Dogz will have a very attractive blend of players with local ties to our community and a diverse group of international players who look forward to wearing our uniform with pride and representing Rochester to the best of their abilities. Our group of players also includes an important intangible – character. We have actively brought in players that will represent our city in a positive light, on and off the field. Our players, coaches and staff will hold post-match meet and greets with our fans at Bill Gray's Taproom in Brockport after every home game.
    I look forward to sharing more information about the team and our core values in follow-up posts. And I hope that if you are a passionate soccer fan in the Rochester area that you'll consider adding your name to our list of season ticket holders and wearing our colors proudly.
    We have a special promotion running for our first 100 paid season ticket holders: for just $50 you get a season ticket, a team scarf, and a River Dogz t-shirt. Hope you'll take a look at the link below if interested.
    United We Prosper,
    Damian Graybelle
    Director of Marketing
    Rochester River Dogz FC
    damian.riverdogzfc@gmail.com
    https://riverdogzfc.ticketspice.com/rochester-river-dogz-in…

13. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.npsl.com/schedule-2021/?...A3COPwrqF_3npEEeo#1615228476510-3fbc55b8-25d3

Rochester Lancers vs. Cleveland SC 2021/05/16
    Rochester Lancers vs. FC Buffalo 2021/05/23
    FC Buffalo vs. Syracuse FC 2021/05/28
    Erie Commodores vs. FC Pittsburgh Hotspurs 2021/05/29
    Cleveland SC vs. Rochester Lancers 2021/05/30
    Cleveland SC vs. Pittsburgh Hotspurs 2021/06/04
    FC Buffalo vs. Erie Commodores FC 2021/06/04
    Erie Commodores vs. FC Rochester Lancers 2021/06/06
    Pittsburgh Hotspurs vs. Syracuse FC 2021/06/06
    Pittsburgh Hotspurs vs. FC Buffalo 2021/06/11
    Cleveland SC vs. Erie Commodores FC 2021/06/11
    FC Buffalo vs. Cleveland SC 2021/06/13
    Rochester Lancers vs. Pittsburgh Hotspurs 2021/06/13
    Syracuse FC vs. Erie Commodores FC 2021/06/13
    Cleveland SC vs. Syracuse FC 2021/06/19
    FC Buffalo vs. Pittsburgh Hotspurs 2021/06/19
    Rochester Lancers vs. Erie Commodores FC 2021/06/20
    Pittsburgh Hotspurs vs. Cleveland SC 2021/06/25
    Erie Commodores vs. FC Syracuse FC 2021/06/25
    Rochester Lancers vs. Syracuse FC 2021/06/27
    Cleveland SC vs. FC Buffalo 2021/06/27
    Erie Commodores FC vs. FC Buffalo 2021/07/03
    Syracuse FC vs. Pittsburgh Hotspurs 2021/07/03
    Syracuse FC vs. Rochester Lancers 2021/07/05
    Pittsburgh Hotspurs vs. Erie Commodores FC 2021/07/08
    FC Buffalo vs. Rochester Lancers 2021/07/10
    Syracuse FC vs. Cleveland SC 2021/07/10
    Pittsburgh Hotspurs vs. Rochester Lancers 2021/07/11
    Syracuse FC vs. FC Buffalo 2021/07/17
    Erie Commodores vs. FC Cleveland SC 2021/07/17

RobtheAggie repped this.
  14. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.frontrowsoccer.com/2021...ld-after-a-year-off-due-to-covid-19-pandemic/

The Rochester Lancers will return to the great outdoors.

The Lancers women will kick off their United Women’s Soccer season against FC Buffalo at 2 p.m. Later on, the men will face Cleveland SC in their National Premier Soccer League season opener at 5 p.m.

The teams will play the first of five doubleheaders, with other regular season twin bills planned for May 23, June 13, 20 and 27. All women’s matches are set for 2 p.m., the men’s at 5 p.m.

15. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RobtheAggie repped this.
  17. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So do they hope to take a mediocre NPSL squad and make it the core of a NISA team? I guess it fills a gap in development, acting as a reserve team for the team, but so many questions. Will they stay in the NPSL being the largest.

18. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting idea, not sure if this should be a concern for Flower City Union fans. Is this a sign that the owners are not willing to invest, or a sign that they are trying to involve the limited number of fans to a greater extent?

22. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my vote...BOTH

23. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RobtheAggie repped this.