Possible smaller stadium alternatives to HDC/SHC?

Discussion in 'Los Angeles Sol' started by holden, Apr 15, 2013.

1. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    So the NWSL teams seem to be looking for smaller and cheaper stadiums to play in than the WPS used. And a lot of people are criticizing the teams for playing in stadiums with turf, gridiron/lacrosse lines, and/or tracks. So that led me to wonder, if an LA expansion team were to play somewhere other than Victoria Street, where would they go?

Probably the most likely alternative would be Titan Stadium at Cal State Fullerton as it has natural grass and only soccer is played there. The downside would be that it's in Orange County and not very centrally located (though it's not much worse than the Carson location in that regard). Are there any other stadiums, more centrally located/closer to downtown, that have natural grass and no track with a capacity around 5,000-10,000?

Just looking at a few colleges:
    • UCLA: Drake Stadium, shared with track & frield, natural grass and 11,700 seat capacity
    • Cal State LA: Jesse Owens Stadium, shared with track & field, natural grass, and 5,000 seats.
    • USC: they seems to play at a field which doesn't seem to have any stands or at the Coliseum which would be too large.
    • CSUN: soccer only, natural grass, 1,550 seats, which is too small
    • Loyola Marymount: soccer only, natural grass, 2,000 seats, which is also too small

I know there are some other colleges around and surely there are some high schools with larger stadiums, but I don't know about much about them. So anybody have other ideas of where they could play? Or do you think they'll just play at Victoria Street with tarps for a smaller capacity like Chivas USA does?

kolabear repped this.
  2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That one sounds the best, just going by your information.

The no track part will be very hard IMO, I assume most High School, and College stadiums will have it.

Also in HS/College stadiums the sell of alcohol may not be allowed, then again they sell beer at the Chicago Red Stars stadium.

3. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC

Yeah, it seems the only way to find one is the really small ones like at CSUN or at LMU or larger ones like at Fullerton.

That's true. Colleges are more likely to have gotten the permits to sell alcohol.

4. raymondleone

raymondleone Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eddie West Field
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

holden repped this.
  5. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I can't find much firm details on that stadium. Is it still natural grass? The top picture seems to be natural grass, but the bottom two and the Google Maps satellite view look a bit more like artificial turf. Also, not sure if Santa Ana would be any better or worse than Fullerton.

6. raymondleone

raymondleone Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LeBard Stadium at Orange Coast College​
    [​IMG]
    LA HABRA High School​
    [​IMG]

Glover Stadium​
    (not wide enough?)​
    [​IMG]

holden repped this.
  7. raymondleone

raymondleone Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Artificial Turf Very Likely​
    Freeways in Close Proximity​
    South OC Big on Soccer​
    But I Understand Your Perspective​
    Fans Coming From Santa Barbara, Manhattan Beach, Malibu etc.​
    Road Trip?​
    On Bi-Weekly Basis?​

8. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    That one looks nice. Too bad it's in Costa Mesa. I think Santa Ana and Fullerton would be easier to access for most

That's one of the strangest looking stadiums I've seen. It doesn't seem deep enough in center for baseball or wide enough even for American football, unless they overlap on the dirt.

9. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Yeah I know there are a lot of soccer fans in OC. But it is far for a lot of LA. For example, from the valley it can take upwards of 3 hours to get there in traffic. I know weekends aren't as bad as weekdays, so it probably shouldn't take that long, though.

10. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Why not just move the league here, to this gorgeous and breath-taking smaller stadium?
    Every franchise can share the same field, and they'll save on costs.
    They can even share residency together at a replicated Turkish Bath-House in the woods nearby.
    Everyone is bitching & moaning about grass. Well here it is folks. There's even no mowing policy.
    This stadium is smaller, has grass, already has a built-in goal post, & the league can save on travel.
    And it holds a capacity of two in the stands (or I should say... in the stand).
    This stadium is Brilliant. :cool:

[​IMG]

raymondleone repped this.
  11. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    But do they sell alcohol? ;)

kolabear repped this.
  12. raymondleone

raymondleone Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Sell?
    It's strictly B.Y.O.B.

14. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Is that the one that there was some talk of Chivas USA playing at? I think it would be a little big for NWSL, but if it's cheap enough, might not be a bad option, as at least the football lines don't look permanent, even though it's FieldTurf and has a track.

15. raymondleone

raymondleone Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    holden repped this.
  16. raymondleone

raymondleone Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ventura College Sportsplex
    4667 Telegraph Road
    Ventura, CA 93003

[​IMG]

17. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    While those ones would be convenient for the valley and Ventura and Santa Barbara Counties respectively, I think they'd be too far for those in OC and the Inland Empire.

18. raymondleone

raymondleone Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Home Depot Center / Stub Hub Center
    8000 Seat Track & Field
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    i suspect they are trying to get the LA Galaxy to bite on a franchise, since Portland is off the chart. i can see why the commissioner is so closed lipped, as afar as MLS clubs go. The Sol drew well, so they Galaxy women should be a strong draw too, if they get a front loaded roster like Portland. I'd hope they are making that pitch. It makes sense to be the team (esp that stadium) to go with Pali/Strikers. Bay Area will be a flop again like wih Gold Pride. Tech crowd isn't interested in women's pro ball.

20. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    titan stadium.png

I can deal with Titan Stadium in Fullerton CA. You wanna know why? Cause I live across the street from it :D so paint me bias!

But seriously, it's technically not Los Angeles, but Carson is really not in the heart of Los Angeles either. But it's next to the 57 Pomona freeway and the off ramp leads right to the campus so yeah, it's convenient in that respect. Fullerton is fairly central but can be easily a 2 hour drive from the San Fernando Valley with traffic on the Santa Ana Freeway(5).

21. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many seats?

22. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Yeah, I sorta alluded to that in my first post. Fullerton is only really about 15 minutes further away for me than Carson is (assuming traffic is good). That's why I'd like something closer to downtown. But I can see how you and other's in OC would prefer Fullerton and Carson.