Possible permanent Dynamo coach

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by AcetheTigah, Aug 15, 2019.

1. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Depends on what kind of club you are going to run

personally I would interview Tab Ramos and ask him what resources he would need and the organizational setup required for him to coach the 1st team and make our development academy system actually produce. You can buy a DP every now or then but I feel this club needs to develop their own talent to fill ou the roster

Westside Cosmo, *rey* and CeltTexan repped this.
  2. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Jose Peckerman

3. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ll buy a Presidents Club seat if Tab Ramos comes here, but no coach of his caliber is coming here and working for Matt Jordan and Montgomery Burns’ ownership. It’ll be an unknown/USL guy or a re-tread (like Frank Klopas or similar).

I’m not trying to slam your ideas or thoughts, I just think any higher-quality coach knowledgeable about MLS and the clubs isn’t going to look at the Dynamo situation and see it as a place to win. To wit:

- low payroll/unwillingness to pay true DP-level salaries
    - no good young talent in the pipeline at USL or Academy
    - most talented players on roster all looking to leave (Elis & Manotas) or troublemakers (Quioto) or on the veteran downside of career
    - cheap ownership

Matt Jordan can talk all he wants about how talented he thinks this roster is but it doesn’t make it so. Have some very good talent offset by average to subpar talent at other positions

4. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Not even a question of who is willing to come. Read Jordans comments yesterday, it's crystal clear they will go cheap and likely inexperienced.

Dynamo_Forever and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  5. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Jordan was interviewed and downplayed having a "big name," probably for a combination of cheapness and Jordan wanting someone he can keep under his thumb and throw under the bus at a later date.

I'm thinking we get a random Latino coach that no one has heard of because Jordan loves that line. Jordan is also hitting the "develop players line" (something we've never really done), so get me a list of Latino coaches that are or have recently managed a U.S. youth team. That's a likely pool (and that's where we pulled Wilmer's name from).

Alternate is someone inside the league, but again no big personalities that can challenge Jordan, so guys like Petke and Dom are out. Robin Fraser maybe, although he doesn't tick the Latino box.

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  6. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you hit it on the head. Robin Fraser name comes up often, probably enough not to jump into the Dynamo quagmire.

The Dynamo are probably the employer of last resort for many coaches

7. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Well I recommended Gio Savarese and Tab Ramos two of the best candidates to Canetti and he then went ahead and hired Coyle. I suggested them again and then Jordan hired Cabrera.

Savarese took over Portland and took them to MLS cup last year. Tab coaches the US U21.

TX Bill, CeltTexan and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  8. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Canetti was in big on Savarese as I recall from reports. I don't know if Coyle came out of nowhere or if Savarese turned us down.

I can't imagine Tab Ramos wanting this job and I can't imagine Jordan wanting him to have it either, so there's that.

9. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Canetti had some old MetroStars connections with Savarese.

10. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    Savarese turned the Dynamo down. i couldve sworn someone told me it was because he wasnt too keen on Houston as a city.

@DynamoManiac or @metroag - was it you or does the above sound familiar?

that's another thing you have to factor in. even Dom who could've stayed here forever, couldnt deal with Houston. he was a California dude and wanted to go back home.

frankly, you would have better luck with Latin American managers. as Houston is known throughout the Americas as a business hub (because of oil) and a metropolis.

11. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, think about it, that’s why we lost Owen Coyle, the city and homesickness!

nbrooks503 repped this.
  12. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    James Harden is going to use his influence to get Kevin McHale to coach the Dynamo

CeltTexan repped this.
  13. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Yeah, Savarese said, "no, no and hell no" to the Dynamo.

14. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct.
    It is why I suggested up top of getting an Argie like Jose Peckerman, A coach with vast experience at the league and as well international level. Knows how to cultivate youth talent. Is an older man, would like our city for it's offering of things to do for men of his age. Bring his family here and if our FO and owners are wise, treat him like gold. I mean the man has the credentials, has class and certainly has forgotten more football than I will ever know!

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  15. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would make sense. But if Pekerman is not willing to work for the same amount as the coach of Hartford Athletic or OKC Energy, Brener probably won’t pay him

16. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct Westie. Money will be the deal breaker.

Its the world now for MLS where a club like Atlanta and Blank will pay for a well traveled Argentine man in Tato Martinez.
    While our club will most likely go over to Parque Escondido on the Norf Side, sign a Paco Valentino who coaches a men's league team sponsored by Chico's Bail Bonds! HAHA!!!

17. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    Didnt Tab turn FC Dallas down? If he didnt want that job, he sure as hell doesn't want this one

18. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    sorry but player development happens either in age group ball or after practice. you don't hire a senior team coach to make the kids better. you hire an academy staff to make the kids better. now you can hire a senior coach who will use the kids more, a la Klinsmann/Sarachan, but then they need to be ready.

19. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I think Tab's long term goal is convert U20 into senior team head coach. Right now it won't happen because he doesn't have adult age coaching experience. He wouldn't risk his U20 CV on us. He would take a big city, probably NYC, but presumably bicoastal, type job which is more of a gimmee in terms of talent and payroll.

The last two full time coaches we've had rode their prior team off the cliff. Unless we magically sound ambitious and spendy, you're going to get last chance saloon types who aren't going to be picky because we keep them in the profession. They want a job, we have one. If you want a coach on the make then the FO/GM/spending needs to sound less risky and more spendy. Because even if we offered money like we meant it, they would still be coaching what we have.

I'm also going to lob out there that it feels like the GM runs the soccer side. When you have an interim coach coming in quoting self defeating chapter and verse that continues the bad results, and the GM already hinting at what type of coach we get, that's where the decisions reside, and knowing who holds it, we know the quality of those decisions. It's a Rick Smith problem or a spin on our old Canetti problem. Many coaches may simply flee the lack of power and flexibility much less the normal team stuff about spending and ambition. "I have to defer to that idiot?" Even if a coach with ambition wanted to make a cheaper team their showcase, they wouldn't pick us because it feels like Jordan is too much the boss. They will want more control. How many coaches will accept not just cheapness but the boss wanting to run things? That undercuts the value of this as a place where you can grab the reins and show what YOU can do with it, if Jordan really runs the place. You will then get coaches who were fired while their team was relegated or folded, almost radioactive, someone hire me back into the fraternity please.

CeltTexan, Dynam0 and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  20. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup.

21. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    also -- i can't believe that anyone inside MLS respects Jordan. They all see what we see.

22. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I shudder to think of the candidates that will actually take this job. Employer of last resort for soccer coaches. Unknowns or re-treads with belts showing on the tires

*rey* repped this.
  23. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one that knows anything about MLS will touch this job. Will have to be someone new that has experience but no MLS exp.