Possible Move to London

Discussion in 'Chelsea Off Topic Threads' started by Ninjatend0, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Hello all, i've been sniffing around the chelsea boards for the last few years, contributing here and there, but generally keeping my nose out of trouble, and my presence at a minimum, though i read just about everything going on with the main chelsea boards. i currently live in dallas, tx and as it turns out there is a slight chance i could have an opportunity to end up working in London. i don't really have anywhere else to turn as a resource to get real feedback from people, i was hoping to get a little bit of advice or help from some of you.

my knowledge of London is very limited, though i believe i have quite an interest in pursuing jobs there. overall, i know a lot of people end up moving OUT of the city, or even OUT of the country.

my main questions would pertain around whether it is a good idea to move away from the states and over there, i've always wanted to live and work abroad, though actually pulling the trigger is a bit different. i just wanted to get a general feeling of perhaps what i would be getting myself into as well as a few more specific details such as areas to possibly look into for living, what true costs would be, and any advice people may have.

for any who may ask, i'm 26 and in finance. i'm not married though i have a serious girlfriend who may or may not be able to follow me over there, she may not be able to find a job.

any thoughts would be much appreciated.

thanks.

2. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Didn't we have someone who lived in London for a while?

3. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Without being too nosy into your financial situation- I would have to say that the money you will be making in London would be a key factor.

London is for the most part quite expensive, especially for people new to the city. As you venture a little further out from the city centre or the more desirable locations, you can find some good places to live. The problem there is that it is somewhat of a commute to your location, favourite places, etc.

With that in mind- I would definately take the chance as I think London is an excellent place to live and visit. Plenty of great stuff to see, culture to experience and great people to meet. Also dont forget that you are not that far away from several weekend or long weekend excursions into the Continent.

If you get a chance, check with some of the lads who lived here and then moved over. Nicephoras may be a good reference for you.

The girlfriend thing is a tough one, but remember that you will be quite unique with your accent in England as well, which should not be that much of a draw back with the ladies.

4. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I absolutly loved the time I spent in London, hope to get back for a year or two again soon,.

Exchange rate a bit better now but it is a very expensive City, seemed a third to 50% or more than New York in many expenses when I was there.

Another advantage is with Ryan Air, Easy Jet etc. you can weekend all over Europe dirt cheap on the Airfare.

As mentioned the Art, culture, music the Bitter, the Football is phenominal, perhaps nice has higher standards but I loved the English women once you decipher their ways a bit, and besides there is a beautiful Eastern European everywhere you go in London.

If your girlfriend goes with you, it is unimagnible to me anyway how anyone could get bored in London though if she does not long distance gigs can be hard to keep going

If you do go pm me and I'll share some of my favorite places

5. Lamps>Gerrard

Lamps>Gerrard Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I only spent an odd 3 days there, but it's a really nice city. The subways are so clean and it is incredibly easy to navigate around London, a farcry better than the dump that is New York City.

Two major factors in deciding this move are:

English breakfasts
    Chelsea Football Club

Those are the only reasons I would need. :D

6. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    thanks for the input guys. its very much appreciated. and if we would like, we can keep this going as a rolling london discussion for any that may go to just visit as well, especially for games. as i said, i'm not sure if i'll get this oppertunity. if i don't though, it doesn't mean it couldn't happen in the future.

i may just try to go visit in the fall to see what i think, if so, i know we have some threads on getting tickets to read through, but i'm still a little confused on the process and best bets on getting them.

does anyone have any thoughts on places to live? all i know to look around is west london, the obvious fulham/chelsea area. if anyone knows of some other nice but somewhat affordable places i'd be very interested to know.

thanks again.

7. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    you probably wont find too many affordable places to live in West London.

its a very trendy and expensive area

I suppose the primary decision on your location would be based on where your job is located.

it may also be a good idea to visit first and see what you think before committing to such a big move.

8. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I loved London.

But you definitely have to visit before making a key decision such as whether to move there or not.

9. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    As your biggest outlay will be a roof over your head, probably worth checking out a few websites to chek out how much a flat will cost to rent. Note that prices in London are usually on a 'per week' basis, so don't assume you're getting a bargain until you multiply it by 4 :)

An example site would be Foxtons, which gives you some search flexibility.

http://www.foxtons.co.uk/search?loc...ch_form=map&search_type=LL&submit_type=refine

How long would the move be for?

Also, would your company be willing to relocate you on a temporary basis? Many companies (especially in finance) look favourably on someone who has an urge to travel abroad and it does no harm to your career. They also can pony up a decent relocation package.

I've no idea how easy it is to get a work visa for the UK, so if you're doing this more on your own, definitely research legal websites (esp those who specialize in immigration).

Keep us posted mate - we'll chip in with any questions you have.

10. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Also remember that it is VERY tough to get a working visa in the UK for an American.

I don't know your ancestry but if you have a great grandparent to parent who was an Italian citizen and never renounced their Italian citizenship, you can get an EU passport and not need a visa. It's surprisingly easy to attain. My wife and I have all the paperwork filled out we just haven't mailed it in yet because I'm lazy. (My grandparents were born in Sicily, got married and moved here at 15.)

11. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    as fas as the visa goes, i would have to get a sponsorship. fortunately, my experience is rather specific, so there may actually be hope for that, as everything would depend on that anyway.

i don't think an EU passport is an option for me, as my understanding is that italy is the only country you can do that with.

the move would be for at least 12 months, hopefully more.

thanks a ton guys.

12. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    am i right in thinking that the only real way to get tickets to a game is to be a true blue member? otherwise your gambling with general admission a week before or stub hub?

will probably be at the very least visiting soon.

i've thought of getting a membership on the thought that if i do visit soon or go over, it would be worth the extra 30 pounds for an international membership to be able to get tickets.

13. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    If you know you're going to a match, True Blue is almost mandatory. At least if you're going to a match that is halfway decent.

If I was you as well I would join the Texas Blues or Chelsea in America. It's only a few dollars to join.

http://chelseainamerica.com/mem/

14. Lamps>Gerrard

Lamps>Gerrard Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or you could simply know the right people.

Like this guy, <---------

*cool face*

15. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Or even this face...:rolleyes:

16. Lamps>Gerrard

Lamps>Gerrard Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hey L>G.

Bacon
    Bangers
    Fried eggs
    Mushrooms
    Baked beans
    Grilled tomato
    Fried slice
    Black pudding
    Mug of tea

That's what JFranse will be tucking into :p

Don't you go hating on me now!!

18. Lamps>Gerrard

Lamps>Gerrard Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gahhhhhhh...................:(

I would love nothing more than to be able to eat that every single morning for the rest of my life.

I don't think I even went to a "real" place. It didn't have black pudding, it had this fairly large sausage, and I have no clue what bangers are.

The baked beans, eggs, toast, bacon and tea are what make it amazing.

19. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    No, in my experience people who talk big are usually full of shite.

That fairly large sausage sir, is a banger.

20. Lamps>Gerrard

Lamps>Gerrard Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was messin' with ya Eddie. Anyways, how on earth do you think I managed to get me and a friend to Chelsea/Arsenal on a weeks notice and only pay base price for tickets?

I DO know somebody. That isn't "talking big".

21. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    whoooosh!

22. Lamps>Gerrard

Lamps>Gerrard Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Club: