Possible Future End-State CPL League Structures

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Initial B, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    British Columbia regional tier 3 league (I'm assuming)

2. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Had heard that there was an attempt to start one but it died when PDL teams wouldn't join it and others complained about the high joining fee.

I have no faith in provincial associations outside of Ontario and Quebec to make it work and see it through. Even the CSA as early as 2014 knew that and had planned for a CHL type for D3. Then CPL announced that it would occupy Tier 3 as well, most likely through the CSA.

3. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    BC Regional Tier 3. BC Soccer was looking at implementing this last year, but they couldn't get clubs to commit to the standards they were going to require. Kind of sad, as both Ontario and Quebec managed to create and sustain regional D3 leagues.

I hadn't heard that CPL was looking at D3 as well. In that case, do you think they could take over running of the regional leagues from the provinces? I could see them doubling the number of conferences at each level in order to keep travel costs in line with the financial restraints for each level of play.

EvanJ repped this.
  4. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think that's the end game. The CSA had already planned to take over that tier in a move that resemble what Hockey Canada did when they took over everything in 98. What's good for the CSA is that the CPL will have the ability to run it once they establish D2.

D3 will most likely resemble our CHL with a Quebec/Atlantic league, Ontario League and 1 or 2 Western Leagues