Possible A-League franchises

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by DoyleG, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Uhh whats your point? I was talking about fan base. We can't try that kind of promotion in Vancouver because the damn city of Burnaby has actually set the price of beer higher than what the beer company wants to sell it for. Canterbury (the local brewer) wanted to slash the price of the beer, but the city of Burnaby wanted it set higher because they are afraid we might drink too much or something.

Also I'm quite aware of how beer is sold in the States. We have no problem getting it here though.

2. OnTheSidelines

OnTheSidelines New Member

I'm glad someone mentioned Des Moines as a possibility for the A-League. They'll be opening a new soccer-specific stadium in 2003, play to large crowds by PDL, and A-League standards for that matter (avg. 6,000+) while playing at a high school stadium. The new stadium being built also has a contingency to expand it to a larger capacity should it be necessary. . . .

Hershey indeed had solid coverage of matches. I recall being at a Richmond Kickers match last season and seeing a beat writer for one of the Pa. papers up there covering it. They also had radio, as I recall. For whatever reason, they didn't draw well.

I would love to see Raleigh grow to A-League status at some point, especially with the new facility down there. It would cap off a good southeastern base, with Richmond, Hampton Roads, Raleigh, Charlotte, Charleston and Atlanta. Now that would be a good southern derby.

3. Allison A

Allison A New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Exactly how is that skewed? They cut their profit on the beer as a part to of their plan to keep attendance up around 6,000/game. This year, their paid attendance is actually UP from their first year, and with a worse record!

What is wrong with that? Sounds like they are doing things right.

4. SoccerMavn

SoccerMavn Member

Oct 7, 1999
    On the pitch
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say Philly, too. In fact, in 2000 I inquired about bringing an A-League team to Philly (I had a tentative ownership group lined up and everything, and registered www.philadelphiaatoms.com ).

Anyway, I was rejected out of hand...the USL is convinced that MLS is coming to Philadelphia someday, and is not interested in placing a team there only to have it booted later "without compensation."

Presumably, they adopt a similar attitude towards St. Louis, or any other "major" city currently without an MLS team.

5. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tampa should have an A-League team. The USL offices are located in Tampa. I believe that a team in Tampa could draw between 1,500 and 2,000 fans a game. The University of Tampa would be a great location for the team to play at.

6. slip2break

slip2break New Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Buffalo, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to admit, I am a bit surprised to see Buffalo listed- let alone finishing number two in the poll. Detriot would be a better market at this time due to "pre-existing" organizations in the area, in addition to a larger population.

Des Moines needs to take it's time, build on it's successes, and get that stadium built. Then it'll be a good candidate.

-r

7. Horta

Horta New Member

Aug 4, 2002
    Rottenchester
    FYI. The ownership of the Rochester Rhinos have territorial rights from Syracuse to Buffalo. So unless they leave the area no one could put a team in Buffalo. $1 beer sounds good to me.

8. slip2break

slip2break New Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Buffalo, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is very true.... no one can put an A-League Team in Buffalo..... unless of course it is beyond 50 miles away from where the Rhino's play. No I think we'll start small. There doesn't appear to be any rule regarding lower division teams. ;)

-r

9. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Nice seeing the responses to the poll and the thread.

10. slip2break

slip2break New Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Buffalo, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I personally believe that Edmonton should start at the PDL level and build their team like Des Moines is.... and like Calgary attempted, but rushed along too quickly. Thoughts?

-r

11. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Where did this thread come from?

12. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Edmonton has the fanbase to make it work from the start. We have the talent to put a good team on the field. A stadium is the biggest problem.

13. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    DoyleG, you started this thread, but I think somebody moved it to the USL directory from somewhere else because I've been looking at this forum all day and hadn't seen it. Just curious where it was originally - usually, a moderator should put some sort of comment when something gets m moved. Guess it's possible it was down the page a little bit - if so, I apologize for my dumbness. ;)

14. slip2break

slip2break New Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Buffalo, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then go for it.... my advise is to start in the PDL, as this is something you can do to help bring a team to your market on your own.

I have started a PDL- Follow the Dream thread at the following location: https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=5148

:)

Unfortunately, the stadium is a big part of getting an A-League team to your city.... so start small and build the financing and support to go BIG

-r

15. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Actually, that might not be a bad idea. Consolidationg the old APSL and the WSL was what started the downhill slide to begin with. The teams simply didn't have the finances for the travel, and it killed them. Having an Eastern and Western league, with the two league winners playing for the championship, makes a lot of sense, both in economics and geography.

BTW, Atlanta seems to be picking up somewhat. I was at the game Saturday night, and some of the thing that I think have led to the decline in attendance (besides the Beat hogging all the soccer press) have been dealt with. I had a great time, and will try to go back when I'm able.

16. slip2break

slip2break New Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Buffalo, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not sure what the point of going back to two seperate league would be.... limiting travel? Take a look at any A-Leage, D3, or PDL teams schedule and you will see that each league has a regional intensive schedule.... and in some instances, a regional only schedule. These leagues are already subdivided into different leagues.... to limit the amount of traveling teams must do.

17. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can they sell beer there?

18. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Depends on what the university might say.

19. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the University of Tampa allows beer that would be a great place for them to play.

20. BlueLightning

BlueLightning New Member

Sep 7, 1999
    pesto of all cities
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Possible A-League franchises

My understanding is that all the other Texas-based D3 teams either dropped down to PDL or folded, leaving the Austin Lone Stars with no nearby opponents on their level.

21. BlueLightning

BlueLightning New Member

Sep 7, 1999
    pesto of all cities
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, to be honest, in 2000 MLS expansion to ANYWHERE seemed a lot more likely than MLS expansion does now.

I wonder what USL would say now.

22. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The most likely home for an Edmonton team at the moment would be Foote Field. It has a 3500 capacity on the main grounds, media box, lights for night play. The pitfalls are that the field is astroturf with so many markigns for different sports on it. The stands are also not covered and since weather can kill attendances, it wouldn't be good.

Edmonton has had a strong history of pro soccer to make it work:
    Drillers (NASL)
    Eagles (CPSL)
    Brickmen (CSL)
    Drillers (NPSL Indoor)

23. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Possible A-League franchises

They also lost Jackson, MS, New Orleans, Birmingham and then Memphis.

The move of New Orleans to the A-League was the downfall of the deep south region.