possibility of Russia joining the AFC

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by Philipp Morgenstern, Mar 1, 2022.

1. Philipp Morgenstern

Manchester United
    Australia
    Oct 30, 2021
  2. StarTime

StarTime Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2020
    I think it would be fair, personally. Taking a politically-neutral view on the situation, I find it’s quite similar to Israel’s situation: a large bloc of countries from their would-be federation refuse to play against them for political reasons. So in theory the same opportunity should exist for Russia.

I don’t see a way of realistically incorporating them into 2022 WCQ this year, but maybe it can be done down the line if the political situation does not find a solution.

I do believe that, in spite of the horrible decisions taken by the Russian military, it was unfair by FIFA to eject the Russian team from World Cup Qualifying. I also think it sets a dangerous precedent of FIFA weighing in on the morals of armed conflicts and other political situations around the world. If Russia should be banned, why not Myanmar? North Korea? Ethiopia? China? Many would argue the United States? Pandora’s Box is open now, and it’s going to be a big mess to deal with it.

In theory I would love to have seen FIFA been able to draw a hard line on the Israel and Russia situations, and insist that the teams who refuse to play should forfeit. But the Russia situations shows how that is just not practical: once the movement gets enough momentum going, no one wants to be the first team to agree to play against the Pariah. The whole World Cup would be at stake, playing hardball would have been too big of a risk for FIFA. It’s sad because I wish there was a better solution. At a minimum, it feels unfair that the Polish team can continue (with the added benefit of a bye!) after spearheading this effort to strongarm FIFA into a specific decision. To be honest, I would love to see all other teams from the UEFA B Bracket (SWE, CZE, POL) all forced to forfeit as well in exchange for this decision, and the extra spot be given to perhaps South America.

But I digress. The short answer to your question is yes, but not fast enough for 2022.

3. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I would be all for it.

4. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    If nations switch Confederations it should be on the basis they stay for at least 20 years. Apart from that, I've no issue with nations in both Europe and Asia joining AFC. I'm not sure the boundary between the continents is completely defined anyway. You're a bit closer than me so maybe you can tell me which nations are in both continents.

5. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Europe and Asia aren't separated by any large body of water so the demarcation line is historical and cultural. That said, the following UEFA members have territories that are either completely (Israel), or predominately (Turkey, Kazakhstan), or at least partially (Russia) in across lines that are deemed to divide Asia from Europe. Additionally, the states in the southern Caucasus (Azerbaijan, Armenia, Georgia) straddle the line. Since these territories for the longest time were part of Iran (aka "Persian Empire" in the West), and marked the demarcation lines between Rome and Iran (see Roman-Persian wars), until the Russo-Persian wars of 1807-13 and 1826-28 when Iran was defeated and forced to relinquish any claims to them, they traditionally used to be considered part of Asia.

almango repped this.
  6. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Below is how wikipedia defines the boundaries of the states of the southern Caucasus:

almango repped this.
  7. italiancbr

italiancbr Member

Apr 15, 2007
    I don't see Russia voluntarily leaving UEFA for the AFC because of the financial implications with the UEFA Champions League being much more lucrative than the AFC Champions League. But Russian clubs would instantly be among the favorites to win the competition. And the Russian NT would have an easier time advancing to a 48 team WC. Russia would probably also be in the top 4 of every Asian Cup, much like Israel was during their time in the AFC. I think it would be good for the AFC to have another competitive team, but I wonder how some of the mid-tier associations would feel about adding Russia. Australia has taken an AFC WC slot since arriving from the OFC. Russia would almost certainly do the same. How would teams like UAE, Iraq, Uzbekistan, Thailand, China, Vietnam and others feel about having Russia compete for an AFC WC slot?

Bluewings21 repped this.
  8. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Regardless of how Russia would do in the AFC (IMO, they would be comparable to Australia), your comment about Israel is misplaced and misguided. Asian football in the 50s and early 60s involved very few countries and had no roots. It was only in the latter parts of the 60s and 70s that the game began slowly expanding. The few years when the Asian game involved a bit more than those who played the English colonial game in places such as India, Hong Kong or Burma, and when being "top 4" meant little since the Asian Cup itself used to only involve 4-6 teams altogether, Israel was either already finishing behind Iran and soon thereafter not in the AFC at all.

9. Bluewings21

Bluewings21 Member

Suwon Samsung Bluewings
    Apr 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I agree with this point of view. UEFA Champions League generates more $$$ than anything else. Not even close. The primary reason why countries geographically considered to be a part of Asia (i.e. Turkey) wants to stay at UEFA is because of benefits of the tournament it can offer to its participating clubs.

10. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    The war will end, there is no way they will continue pursuing Kiev. They will make some kind of deal and have influence over Eastern Ukraine and prevent Ukraine from joining NATO at the most. It is not in NATO/the world nor Russia's interest to prolong this, and it won't be sustainable. Everything will go back to normal in a couple of months.

11. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States