Position associated with a country

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Excape Goat, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It is liked a brand recognization. For example, the US is known to produce quality keepers. Or if he is a striker from England, he must be good in the air. It is almost liked stereotyping.

Italy: keepers, center defenders, attack midfielders.

Argentina: playmakers.

Brazil: attack midfielders who can score freekicks and dribble evry well, striker, wingbacks who are better in offensive than defense.

England: strikers who are good in the air, right wingers, keepers(in the good old days).

Norway: Strikers who are good in the air and likely to be big.

Germany: defensive midfielder, strong & physical players in all position.

Uruguay: defenders who are willing to do anything to stop you.

2. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    Holland: I guess you could say wingers, goalkeepers who are great at actually playing football and not just stopping shots and classy forwards.

3. Hartfield

Hartfield Red Card

Jun 15, 2005
    Bogota D.C
    Colombia: Defenders.

4. Serb

Serb New Member

Oct 1, 2005
    Southern Ontario
    Ex-Yugoslavia: Talented and creative midfielders; not very strong phisically or mentally.

5. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Certainly sounds like Prosinecki, all right, but I wouldn't say Stojkovic wasn't mentally tough.

6. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    The Netherlands: players in any position who can do everything.

7. GRBomber

GRBomber Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Brasília - Brazil
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    and somehow can't win a world cup :D

8. Serb

Serb New Member

Oct 1, 2005
    Southern Ontario
    There are guys like Stojkovic, yes, but I think that the Yugoslav mentality as a whole affected teh NT's success.

When ever Yugoslavia had a lead of any sort, voctory was never a sure thibng untill the final whistle. They would always manage to throw away leads and concede stupid goals. Check out the WC '98, for example.

Another remarkable thing about THE Yugoslav/Serbian national teams is that they played their best football when they were behind and had to play attacking football rather than holding on to a lead.

Some more recent examples are S&M's second game against Spain, their game against Slovenia in the EURO 2000, as well as the U-19's team's game agaisnt Germany at the recent U-19 European Championships.

9. Serb

Serb New Member

Oct 1, 2005
    Southern Ontario
    LOL!

10. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Spain: Technically gifted CMs who can control the pace of a game. ie deeplying playmakers.

England: Big Centerbacks

Nigeria: speed on the field in almost every position.

11. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    It’s interesting that you would think that the image of an English prototypical striker is one who is good in the air. You not being from England and offering your view on this is the interesting part as it is a percieved notion not really backed up by who sits atop of the all-time scoring charts for England or the usual players who have been stellar in an England shirt and played at CF – I’m not saying you’re wrong, far from it, there are enough players who fit the catergory – Lofthouse, Shearer, Sheringham, Keegan and Owen even. But there’s an equal number of arguably greater players who do not: Greaves, Charlton, Lineker, Beardsley, Rooney 3 of which sit atop the all-time scoring charts for England and all of whom were loathe to head a ball. Consider:

Greaves a notorious ground playing type who liked to pass the ball into the net and was not fond of heading the ball.
    Lineker – teased to this day about his refusal to head balls and his ineptitude in the air.
    Charlton – whose forte was 20-40 yard rockets into the net, he rarely headed the ball.
    Beardsley – a sublime playmaker type who rarely headed the ball.
    Same goes for Rooney.

Oh well, just thought I’d mention that, it may change your perception, I suppose you’ve never really thought about it like that? (I hadn’t until you mentioned air-type English CF’s:) )

I’ll give my take on other nations mass production strength:

Germany: Sweepers, DM’s, CM’s robust strikers who are excellent at cross conversion. But I will always associate them with CM’s who over time play DM and then Sweeper or vice versa. No other nation has players that have done that so regularly through the ages.

Argentina: I’ve never really associated them with playmakers – how many have they had who were the premier playmaker in the world? – I generally associate them with tough CB’s who will do anything to stop the man they are marking and very high levels of cunning and passing ‘zip’ amongst their attacking players.

Holland Wing forwards obviously as they are the only nation in the world who ave maintained a system for such a long period of time that uses WF’s. Also very, very good passers and intelligent offensive players.

Brazil strikers. The premier strikers in the world with the highest levels of technical groundplay. Also wingbacks who attack like wingers.

ItalyStoppers, and support strikers.

England Tireless players with huge amounts of stamina.

12. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    They don't need to be able to do everything, just the basic things:
    -position yourself well
    -be able to pass the ball with both feet and be able to quickly exchange passes with just one touch
    -be able to find solutions to problems, nothing extreme, but things like "if my marker has a good right foot but an awfull left foot, I should play the ball past his left foot.

13. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Jugovic certainly was mentally tough.

definitely goalies and defenders for italy. from Zoff, zenga, peruzzi and Buffon, i think italy has had one of the worlds top 3 goalies for the last 30+ years.

14. FireFanInPackerLand

Dec 8, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    United States of America: Goalkeepers

15. Serb

Serb New Member

Oct 1, 2005
    Southern Ontario
    I meant as a whole, they are not very mentally tough. ;)

16. Rakim_22

Rakim_22 Member

Manchester United
    Netherlands
    Sep 6, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Definately I mean Zach Thornton is such a beast in goal. :rolleyes:

17. schafer

schafer Member+

Mar 12, 2004
    Canada: Doesn't ****ing matter because whenever a good one comes through they get lured to play for another country :mad:

But seriously...

African teams tend to have great athletes with good technique but little positional or tactical awareness

England- as DS mentioned, players with great stamina, as well as work ethic and determination, but lacking in individual flair

France- this is a hard one, I can't really think of any specific position and or qualities that define most French players

18. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Wow, just wow.

I'm not going anywhere near that.

19. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    why not? i agree with him. until recently, when european coaches have been there, theyve been incredibly disorganized.

20. Jaison

Jaison New Member

May 6, 2005
    Tristan da Cunha
    I would associate Italy and Germany with keepers before the U.S.

21. schafer

schafer Member+

Mar 12, 2004
    Ok, obviously not "little", but that has been their downfall in international tournaments. Would you disagree with that? They do have good technique, and fitness isn't a problem, why haven't they been more successful in WC's until recently, when the tactical side of their game has improved? I honestly don't know why you reacted so extremely.

22. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    But if you pick one position for the US, it must be keepers.

23. Jaison

Jaison New Member

May 6, 2005
    Tristan da Cunha
    True...