Portuguese World Cup Scorers - Pauleta # 1

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Portugallia, Dec 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Portugallia

Portugallia BigSoccer Yellow Card

Dec 9, 2005
    I'm not deserving of your attention so why are you responding to my posts?

2. Portugallia

Dec 9, 2005
    I have Portugal in the same group as Germany and Ukraine for the 1998 WCQ so if I'm wrong please show the evidence.

3. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    Look your obviously to obscured either with US sports, that are only based on statistics or a math major.

Futebol is not just based on numbers or statistics, eventhough Eusebio is the second highest scorer of all-time.

I remember when Paulo Sousa joined Juventus they saw he was a great player, and couldn't figure out how to give him credit. He never score a goal, but mostly was the best player on the field. So they came up with a new statistic for him only "How many completed passes" he averaged over 95%.

The game is played on not just assits either, this is a more complex game. People that counter up these statistics really don't know or don't know how to watch the game.

Pauleta unless he does well in WC06 will be remembered as the palyer that, eventhough he has Portuguese's scoring record couldn't do it in crucial tournaments.

4. marco goncalves

marco goncalves New Member

Apr 29, 2002
    Boston

Who else do u show in that group?

5. Portugallia

Dec 9, 2005
    Come on Frank, compare Pauleta to Nuno Gomes or Figo in World Cup performances. It doesn't suit you does it?

6. marco goncalves

Apr 29, 2002
    Boston
    Excellent post....

I think Portugalia should of asked where do we rank the Portuguese players by position on the pitch.
    GK-RD-CB-LD-RM-DM-AM-LM-SC

This isnt baseball.........Numbers ,numbers and more numbers if that was the case that how could Lev Yahin be ranked amongst the 50 best footballers of all time....He was a GK for crying out loud....

7. Portugallia

Dec 9, 2005
    You've stuffed up haven't you?

Germany and the Ukraine were indeed in Portugal's 1998 WCQ. Prove me wrong marco.

8. marco goncalves

Apr 29, 2002
    Boston

Armenia ,really strong team right?Northen Ireland another strong team right.Ukraine was garbage in 1998......Why did we fail in 1998?
    You stuffed up ,arent you,you dont know the answer thats,why your being defensive....What bizzare incident caused us to miss the WC in 1998.....Answer it Goddamit.....

9. DiaboVermelho86

DiaboVermelho86 New Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Now where have i heard that before.

There's no use wasting anymore time with this guys. In his world he believes Pauleta is the greatest player that has ever walked the earth, even though 99.9% disagree completely with that. This is going nowhere so let's just end it.

10. Portugallia

Dec 9, 2005
    You're doing it again PassItOn...I'm just a poster that should be ignored so why are you responding to my posts?

11. Roy Da Silva

Roy Da Silva New Member

Sep 24, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Why so many threads about Pauleta these days

12. Portugallia

Dec 9, 2005
    Admit you were wrong marco and I was right marco! Go on! I'm waiting.

Germany and the Ukraine were indeed in Portugal's group just like I said.

Who was wrong marco?

Say it marco :D

13. Portugallia

Dec 9, 2005

All I'm trying to show Pauleta deserves a ranking other than the ranking of rubbish.

14. Portugallia

Dec 9, 2005
    You're witnessing a generational take over.

15. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    The only reason is because I read you through an eye glass, but most of my partners here in PT forum didn't.

Also I like to entertain you.

Your posts are only based on Pauleta, and on goals.

So if player "A" dribbles 11 opponents, and passes the ball to Pauleta to score on the open net.
    Does he deserve the goal or does player "A"? On paper Pauleta does, if this happens for say 40+ times, in the books Pauleta will have 40+ goals, but in the hearts of the the people it is player "A", that deserved all the credit.

16. marco goncalves

Apr 29, 2002
    Boston

You know squat about football.You are now on my ignore list,you want me to tell you that I was wrong just because i forgot that Ukraine was in that group......U failed to come up with the 4 teams that Pauleta played for in Portugal,U failed to tell us which coach discovered Pauleta ,U failed to tell us what bizarre event in the 1998 wc qualification prevent us from going to the wc.......U wanted to blame Eusebio for not qualifying us for the 1978 Wc whn the guy retired in 1973.....U didnt even know who Jose Aguas was till the other day.....U dont want to learn or be an asset to the Portugal forum.You are nothing but a parasyte .....

SEE YA

17. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    Man, go read most of my posts on Pauleta. We all consider him highly, but not higher then Eusebio. Please.

18. Portugallia

Dec 9, 2005
    I have no problem with that. I'm not trying to take away any player's past glory but there seems to be a tendency to ignore the contribution of other player's styles.

Yes player "A" deserves due credit as the best dribbler and deserves all the awards he can get but there also needs to be recognition of the Pauleta type player who does the scoring and doesn't stuff up in the split second he has to score.

It's a combination of the great dribblers and the great strikers and I believe Rui Costa famously said that if Portugal had a striker like Batistuta Portugal would have won the WC by now.

19. Portugallia

Dec 9, 2005
    Fine but where then? Higher than Figo? Lower than Nuno Gomes?

20. Portugallia

Dec 9, 2005
    Say it marco, I was right and you were wrong about Germany and Ukraine being in Portugal's 1998 WCQ.

Can't fool me mister...I've done my research.

I'm still waiting marco! :D

Show us if you're man enough to admit you were wrong and I was right.

21. Portugallia

Dec 9, 2005
    Hey, you're lucky I'm even responding to your posts.

22. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    Look from the looks of it you know little abou player rankings or consideartions to what they done for the game.

Why wasn't Ronaldinho, Zidane, Ronaldo considered in the all time footballers rankings, because there still playing. Once Pauleta is done he'll be considered.

We'll welcome you back for that one.

23. geeko79

geeko79 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    Toronto
    this thread is laughable....

Eusebio scored 9 in 66
    Pauleta scored 3 in 02 (all against Poland).....06 remains to be seen

Eusebio scored 21 WC qualifying goals
    Paulets scored 22 WC qualiying goals

WC finals goals seems like a no brainer.

WC qualifying goals seems a lot closer. they only way to decide who gets the nod is to see what each was up against. ie how many games they each played and who was the competition.

It still seems as though Eusebio has the edge. A player with over 700 goals in his career.

now comparing Pauleta to Figo is apple to oranges. Figo or Costa or anyone else is suppose to feed the ball to pauleta first and foremost, not score. Why not compare Henry to Zidane...both very good players but completely different roles. I would like to see how many goals pauleta scored courtesy of a sublime pass from costa or Figo.

Now I'm a pauleta fan, but he is not the greatest portuguese player, he is good, but not great... his accolades do not warrant that when compared to Eusebio. Nuno Gomes, on the other hand has not had a great deal of playing time, but has shown up in games that mean something...like in Euro comp. (he hasn't played any WC finals minutes). Gomes is not a great player, good, but not great.

Stats only tell 1 side of the story...Jardel scored tons of goals for porto and sporting....did that make him a great player....HELL NO!!

24. Portugallia

Dec 9, 2005
    That's nonsense and you know it. No one is asking FIFA to recognise Pauleta.

Figo and Rui Costa are not done and they're perfectly ranked by Portuguese people.

25. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    Actually it's the other way around, be prviledged I acknowledge you existed, comparing Eusebio to Pauleta. That's almost like comparing Rud Van ElsterRoy (Not even Van Basten or Gullit) to Cruyff nowadays.